Sign in to follow this  
5-Cents

The Best Turr Phennir?

So I've finally got around to play testing my particular take on the Palp-mobile w/ Aces list, and I'm looking at Turr and Fel as my aces (those red striped Squints are too cool not to play).

What do people think is the best build for Turr?

What I'm currently running is:

Turr Phennir 25pts

-Veteran Instincts 1pts

-Autothrusters 2pts

-Stealth Device 3pts

31pts total

What do other people run with Turr?

Edited by 5-Cents

So I've finally got around to play testing my particular take on the Palp-mobile w/ Aces list, and I'm looking at Turr and Fel as my aces (those red striped Squints are to cool not to play).

Turr Phennir 25pts

-Veteran Instincts 1pts

-Autothrusters 2pts

-Stealth Device 3pts

31pts total

1.) *too cool

2.) What else are you running exactly? Carnor Jax might be better, if you roll him up at range one of a Corran he may have to rely on unmodified green dice, which are miserable. Likewise against a Phantom. It could really give you the leg up on another Acewing list.

So I've finally got around to play testing my particular take on the Palp-mobile w/ Aces list, and I'm looking at Turr and Fel as my aces (those red striped Squints are to cool not to play).

Turr Phennir 25pts

-Veteran Instincts 1pts

-Autothrusters 2pts

-Stealth Device 3pts

31pts total

1.) *too cool

2.) What else are you running exactly? Carnor Jax might be better, if you roll him up at range one of a Corran he may have to rely on unmodified green dice, which are miserable. Likewise against a Phantom. It could really give you the leg up on another Acewing list.

1. Thanks, change will be made

2. I'm running:

Entourage 99pts

Turr 31pts

-VI

-Autothrusters

-Stealth

Fel 35pts

-PTL

-Autothrusters

-Stealth

Omicron GP 33pts

-Palp

-Sensor Jammer

I may switch the Jax if Turr proves to be non-competitive, but I personally have always preferred Turr.

(Slightly off topic) The way I use Turr is in this interesting and fun list that revolves around his ability.

Turr Phennir - Squad Leader, Autothrusters, Experimental Interface, Royal Guard title = 32

Saber Squadron - PTL, Autothrusters = 26

Dark Curse = 16

Sabers use PTL in activation sparingly, Turr shoots, does his ability, uses Experimental Interface and Squad Leader to give another ship an action who can the PTL off that action. So much fun being able to move around in the combat phase. 

To bring up Turr's damage curve I fly the following.

Push the Limit

Autothrusters

Targetting Computer

Hunt PS 6 and lower targets. I use the first action to get target lock. Fire and boost or roll, then PTL for either boost or roll. This build works great with Fell but seldom makes it into the end game.

Turr + Push has a strong interaction.

Y'see, you can Push off of the free Boost or Barrel-Roll action, allowing you to do both, or allowing you to grab an Evade token if the two together don't get you out of arc.

It leaves you vulnerable to PS 8-9 ships, which is where some folks like Veteran's Instinct better, but for PS 1-7, Push is unmatched.

Moreover, Turr has the rare ability to Push after a Koiogran, if you have an ally with Wingman nearby. Still can't push twice in one turn, but its certainly something!

(Slightly off topic) The way I use Turr is in this interesting and fun list that revolves around his ability.

Turr Phennir - Squad Leader, Autothrusters, Experimental Interface, Royal Guard title = 32

Dark Curse = 16

Sabers use PTL in activation sparingly, Turr shoots, does his ability, uses Experimental Interface and Squad Leader to give another ship an action who can the PTL off that action. So much fun being able to move around in the combat phase. 

This is probably the only usage of Squad Leader I'd actually fly.

Out of the box and even until the time of Han and Whisper I still preferred PTL Turr over even Soontir. If you have an ace answer I think PTL is stronger. If you don't VI might do it. PTL Turr still gets 2 actions on a PS7 interceptor regardless of the PS you face where VI only matters if your opponent brings 8-9 to the PS war.

but P.S. 9 turr - is in a bit of a weird place...

He still has issues with roark / torkil / other P.S. 8 - 9 with VI

and if he's against  vanilla P.S.9 with initiative, he can fire first and move after - but if other parts of your squad don't want initiative (Soontir fel) not so great,  if you have don't have initiative, then you can move after - but can't gain the full benefit of boost + roll.    (So P.S.9 Turr wants initiative)

P.S> 7  PTL Tur is mean on a flank - and can do the standard interceptor turtle, reposition tricks, which allows better blocking of other ships - while having access to the PTL after shooting.  So if facing higher P.S. he can switch to usual tactics - if facing lower P.S. he wrecks house.

Edited by Ravncat

There's a few really good EPTs for Turr:

• Crack Shot
  • Lightning Reflexes
  • Veteran Instincts
  • Lone Wolf
  • Stay on Target
  • Predator
  • Push the Limit

I personally don't like to run PTL on him, as he is a lot better when you can abuse those 1 turns. Honestly, I think that Turr can be much more effective than Soontir. The reason you don't see Turr that often though, is that he isn't as reliable as Soontir and when you're going to a tournament you really want reliable pilots. More so than any other Interceptor, Turr lives and dies by how well you can anticipate your opponents' moves and your ability to plan ahead.

I prefer Hull Upgrade over Stealth Device, since Turr pretty much never has stacked tokens. An extra (most likely unmodified) die doesn't do much of anything.

Dark Curse = 16

Downside of course is that high PS aces have already attacked. Arc dodging is more valuable before combat, since it's meant to not get you shot.

Still a lot of fun to move outside of normal movement. The opponent might not expect that you have a shot and may have TL instead of focus, and then suddenly there's three range 1 interceptors firing.

It 's tough to run VI Turr and soontir together, because Turr wants initiative, and soontir doesn't, so instead of fel I run Carnor.

Turr and WHISPER, on the other hand, agree on such things.

And they're VI buddies, so there's that.

Edited by DraconPyrothayan

Push + Autothrusters.  Against higher PS, turtle up and shoot.  Against lower PS, grab a focus and push off the free action.

There are really no circumstances where VI Turr is going to be strictly better (because you can always turtle or br+boost but a single barrel roll or boost struggles to get you out of arc consistently and usually does nothing when taking fire from turrets), and a lot of circumstances where Push Turr is strictly better (against anything of lower PS, or taking fire from turrets).

Edited by KineticOperator

Having been someone who's run Turr a lot since wave 2, unproductively so at times, the only case I can see for ever trying to argue for VI over PTL on Turr is for one of 2 corner reasons:

1) You absolutely can't find the extra 2 points in the list. 

VI Turr with Autothrusters is 28 pts.  That could be an Academy TIE and Backstabber, just as an alternative example.  Another easier alternative to see is just dropping down to a RGP with PTL and Autothrusters at 27 pts.  That gains you 1 more point in list building.  Not having PTL on an interceptor is very hard to argue for.  There are also a lot of other PS9 options that are easier to argue for.   

2) You want the option for pulling rebel captive stress there instead of having it forced on a Soontir/Vader/Whisper in non ideal situations.

This is a little easier to understand.  Rebel captive is a thing that's quite common and it can be really annoying when RC forces you to shut down your usual ace tactics.  Having multiple pilots where you're able to alternate taking stress between is something that can be useful.  Whisper hates RC because that shuts down the recloak after shooting.  That's a big deal.  Soontir is a bit easier to handle the RC because he get's the focus after taking the shot, but that also means he's not PTLing in the action phase.  Being able to shirk the RC stress onto a different pilot in those nonideal situations can be very helpful.  However, is a VI Turr the best way of doing that?  RC screws up Turr's ability and if you're looking for a cheap PS9 to do so, maybe a VI Mithel would be easier.  That's a whole 10 points cheaper for the only real loss is 1 attack die at ranges 2-3 and no access to autothrusters.  I only mention it because it's technically an alternative to the same problem.  These are some of the questions you should be asking if this is your thought process behind putting VI on Turr. 

Essentially, for both of those situations, you can make the case that you should be looking at other alternatives in your list construction because PTL on any interceptor is the optimum loadout.  PTL on Turr goes above and beyond that normal utility when you're against anything PS7 or lower.  Contrary to popular belief in this thread, you don't have to be PS9 to make the most out of his ability.  PS7 is plenty high and PTL makes that abilty shine the brightest, without question.  Plus, even if you're not trying to make use of his abilily because of a certain PS skill matchup, you still have access to PTL turtling.  That's going to make you far more survivable to those usual threats than not having PTL tokens but being able to pop a free boost or barrell roll here or there.     

Edited by barn34

Another small trick to the p.s.7 ability, while arc dodging is better pre combat, repositioning post combat is good for setting up future movement as well as cover diving. ( fly right in front of an asteroid for an extra die of cover, after firing roll out of the way.