Sign in to follow this  
darkevans

What's your best Whisper build???

I love the phantoms and Whisper. Flew RAC and Whisper to a store championship this year. RAC is out because of the new TLT meta, so what have you found to be effective? My build right now is

Whisper-VI, ACD, Rebel Captive, Sensor Jammer

Vader-VI, Prockets, engine, ATC, X1

Dark Curse

Three hard to hit ships even with TLT. Won a local tourney with it last week. What Whisper are you flying??

Nothing wrong with that build. I think that's a decent way to set up Whisper.

The 'standard' whisper (which still works okay in TLT meta) is VI, FCS, gunner and ACD. The nice thing about whisper is she is effective with lots of different crew----as long as she has the VI + ACD as a base, system and crew can be changed up as desired.

Whisper plus ACD & VI are mandatory. If you want offense go Gunner and FCS, for defense go Sensor Jammer and the soon to be released Agent Kallus......or mix the build. I love Whisper, I've flown her in every game I've played except 2, just to mix it up, but she can get pricey for a "glass cannon".

This list won our local torunament yesterday:

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v3!s!78:27,36,-1:-1:9:;79:27,36,-1:-1:9:;56:-1,-1,-1,45:-1:-1:

Whisper + VI, ACD, FCS

Echo + VI, ACD, FCS

Omicron Group Pilot + Darth Vader

Because two phantoms are better than one :D

Edited by vonMarxx

Why is RAC out of the question because of a TLT meta? I do very well with Captain Oicunn with predator and TLT's haven't been anymore of a problem then the next ship. 

How do you prevent Oicunn from dying in round 2-3?

I think "Whisper" and RAC are still viable.  TLTs aren't nearly as omnipresent as people feared they might be, and with good flying you can still wipe the floor with four TLT Ys.  Might be hard to keep RAC alive and you'll suffer some MoV pain, but unless you absolutely bork you should be able to kill at least two Y-Wings before Whisper has to worry about taking fire.

And with Whisper?  Take Sensor Jammer.  Boom, she's instantly a pretty hard counter to TLTs.

Why is RAC out of the question because of a TLT meta? I do very well with Captain Oicunn with predator and TLT's haven't been anymore of a problem then the next ship. 

By staying in range 1?

How are you letting him die by round 2-3? I've never let it happen. If I don't see an opening for him to ram a ship or two then he is doing speed 3 turns all over the table. Smaller ships tend to have a hard time keeping up with him.

By staying in range 1?

Dem Unhinged mechs though.

By staying in range 1?

Dem Unhinged mechs though.

Dat large base though.  Get it right up in their business with engine upgrade.  They either split or stick together, but not matter what, they can't all shoot at the decimator after the first round.

I think it would be ridiculous to expect a decimator to survive against 4 twin lasers.  Not going to happen.  But you are going to kill at least 2 before it goes.  Probably 3.  1 or 2 y-wings are easy pickings for whatever else was accompanying decimator.

I like Palpatine and a Gunner, on RAC with VI and EU. Burn all their counters off with the first shot then do it again! By the time your next ship shoots you should have stripped counters and Shields off anything short of a B-Wing.

I recently tried this:

Buzzsaw Whisper, Carnor Jax (VI, AT) and Omega Leader (Comms/ Juke).  Did well against a variety of lists, esp. regen Poe lists.  I was thinking of dropping VI, AT on Jax and putting in PTL instead for better action economy and to get him range 1 quicker.

Edited by Sixgun387

I like Palpatine and a Gunner, on RAC with VI and EU. Burn all their counters off with the first shot then do it again! By the time your next ship shoots you should have stripped counters and Shields off anything short of a B-Wing.

Vader absolutely Neutralized Soontir in two matches in my last tourney. Soontir died the first round in one due to a direct hit and took two crits the second time and just bugged out. Eventually dying without doing any damage.

Nothing wrong with that build. I think that's a decent way to set up Whisper.

The 'standard' whisper (which still works okay in TLT meta) is VI, FCS, gunner and ACD. The nice thing about whisper is she is effective with lots of different crew----as long as she has the VI + ACD as a base, system and crew can be changed up as desired.

I just can't bring myself to use gunner on Whisper these days. With so many one and two defense die ships you're almost guaranteed to hit. I usually try and make it to where my first attack is against a low agility ship so I can take the evade and get the target lock. I know gunner guarantees against a bad roll but based on pure statistics if I take a focus the first round I should live to see the second round. I have the hardest time deciding between FCS and SJ SJ is way more defensive and almost forces a focus action and works wonders against a TLT. But FCS puts out so much more damage.

"Whisper" (32)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Weapons Engineer (3)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Stealth Device (3)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

"Mauler Mithel" (17)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Stealth Device (3)

Total: 98

Don't pair Soontir and Whisper.  Whisper wants to shoot first so she can activate cloaking before the opponent gets to shoot.  Soontir wants to move last so he can do arc dodging shenanigans.  These two goals have different initiative goals and thus do not pair well together.

Don't pair Soontir and Whisper.  Whisper wants to shoot first so she can activate cloaking before the opponent gets to shoot.  Soontir wants to move last so he can do arc dodging shenanigans.  These two goals have different initiative goals and thus do not pair well together.

Actually that's not quite true.  They DO pair well together BECAUSE they have different initiative goals.  That particular list could use some tweaking, but in general, if you fly Whisper + Fel (or Vader---I much prefer Vader over Fel alongside Whisper) you DON'T care about initiative.  You can just build your list to 100 and not worry about a bid.  Then, If you face an opponent with PS9 who bid for initiative (or wins the choice) what are they going to do?  Give me initiative?  Great!  Whisper shoots first, strips tokens, cloaks up and possibly has a free focus.  Not only that, but Fel/Vader are great blockers with double movement action potential.  Opponent takes initiative?  Great!  Vader or Fel become arc-dodging monsters.

Edited by blade_mercurial