Sign in to follow this  
pinstrum

CSA Security Viceprex - typo or am I just reading it wrong?

Hi there, 

Late to the game, I know, but just picked up the EotE core rulebook and have a question about the Personal Deflector Shield (PDS), particularly relating to the CSA Security Viceprex

In the Gear/Equipment section. the PDS is listed as having 2 Defense, but described as being effective against Blaster Bolts. From this, I assume that the Defense rating would be 0/2 (Melee/Ranged) based on the text, or potentially argued as a 2/2 going just from the table.

However, in the Adversaries section, the CSA Security Viceprex statblock shows (2/0) under Defense, which is titled as Defense (M/R). This would imply that the PDS gives 2 Melee defense and 0 Ranged Defense...

Any idea on this - can't find a straight answer elsewhere in the forum, just a discussion on whether it's 2 ranged or 2 general. Is the statblock for the Viceprex wrong, or are Defense values perhaps given as Ranged first rather than Melee despite the M/R in the header?

Thanks everyone

In case someone wants to look it up, the Core Rules list the Defense (no differentiation) for the PDS as 2 in the chart on page 170. The Defense for the CSA Security Viceprex is listed as 2/0 (M/R) in the stat block on page 402.

I looked in the FAQ and Errata and didn't see a clarification but it definitely looks like an error on the NPC. At worst, it should be 0/2 rather than 2/0. At best, 2/2. The descriptive text would seem to indicate 0/2 since it talks about projectiles (which would include blasters) and doesn't mention anything like punches, blades, etc. That's just my opinion and I'm not so married to it that I can't be convinced otherwise but, if someone's going to throw a challenge flag, I'm going to have to see conclusive evidence to overturn.

I'd probably apply it to any energy weapon... but not vibro weapons (they might use a battery but they're not energy weapons). The former would include lightsabers, too. When droideka's showed up and deployed shields, even Super Ninja Jedi like Qui Gon, Obi Won and Anakin ran away.

Thanks - I thought as much. Definitely not a complaint from me - love everything about the book, and with as much content as there is a few errors/typos are to be expected. I'll drop an email to the support team with the details.

Found another one as well under the Black Sun Vigo (Nemesis) adversary on page 406. The text for the talent Crippling Blow reads "may increase damage of check by 1", but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to read "may increase difficulty of check by 1" based on the Crippling Blow talent description on page 133.

I'll post under the Core rulebook Errata topic as well

Edited by pinstrum