Sign in to follow this  
otomo

When You're Out Of...

Most of my decks do not include any of these cards, and if they do, it will be Test of Will and Steward of Gondor, not the other two. 

Offcourse you can make it, depends on the card pool you have and you need to find a different aproach to your game, a new strategy. 

ie, a deck I like is Merry (tac), Pippin (Lor) and Treebeard hero. So none of the above cards. I look to include cards with a cost of two or less (ok, there are some more expensive) so that I can play at least one every turn, with lots of ents you can quest and fight strong, they have healing abilities ... but I have all the AP,Deluxe etc. 

If you have only core set then no, these cards propably are going to be needed 

Edited by Nickpes

It depends on the size of your cardpool. I currently have 9 playable decks ready to go and many don't use any of those cards, or just use them minimally.

But I remember back to the first cycle when even with the limitation of a single core set and a few APs I was able to maintain at least four or five viable decks.

"Tribal" decks (like Dwarves, Outlands, Silvan, Ents, etc.) tend to have a lot of synergy that lets them compensate for not having any of those other cards.
Mostly, though, you can just look at what effect you wanted from those cards and see if there is another way to achieve it. 

Do you mostly want Sneak Attack/Gandalf for threat reduction? Spirit gives you a few different solid methods of threat reduction and even tactics has Secret Vigil now.

Steward of Gondor for resource acceleration? Well, only one person was going to be able to play that any way. So maybe focus on cheaper cards or methods of "cheating" cards into play. (Elf Stone, Very Good Tale, and Vilya can all let you get expensive cards into play without paying their resource costs.) There's also cost reducers like Spirit Theoden, O Lorien, and other acceleration methods like Tighten our Belts, Horn of Gondor, Love of Tales, etc.

The cancellation power of Test of Wills can't really be beat, but there has even been an upswing in treacheries that can't be cancelled. Plus there's certainly plenty of times when you either don't have it in hand, or the resource to pay for it, when you need it most. Mostly, though, you just try to make sure you're ready for what the encounter deck is going to toss at you. Scrying effects can do a lot to mitigate a lack of cancellation.

So yeah... build away!

For sure....in time you can fed up by cards like Steward (which I now use only in decks including Faramir, Boromir or Denethor or Aragorn), Glorfindel (not that I dont like this badass balrog-killing prophecy-teling elf), Sneaky Gandalf and so on and you try to build without them. And sure, they are staples for a reason. But it is very well possible to build excellent deck without them.

gatharion has some excellent points and I would write similar ones

From what you are saying, you are planning to build decks for 4 players.

So Eleanor is your best cancellation efect. In 4-player game she is, well, nearly mandatory. 

The player with steward and other resource-generating cards can send resources to other players (errand-rider and many other cards)

and sneaky Gandalf? Use Gandalf hero and you will forget all about him ;)

(and those 6 slots can used by other usefull cards - like secret vigil, that reduces threat for everybody)

Depends on the heroes in your other decks, but I think a combat focused deck would work really well as a 3rd or 4th deck.

There is an Aragorn (Ta), Merry (Ta), Pippin (Lo) deck that doesn't use any of those cards but manages to shred enemies apart.

Sneak Attack, Gandalf, Test of Will, Steward of Gondor... 

Two of my favorite personal decks use none of those. The other favorite deck uses only one (A Test of Will).

Learning to not rely on what you may call "auto-includes" is partially dependent on your state of mind, and partially dependent on your card pool. There are many great options within the game's decently large card pool, and expanding your horizons opens up great combos and new tactics for you to try. The limitation of your personal card pool is still there though; you can only play what you own.

What I like to do is, when I open a new box, I look at each card individually and think about as many possible combos and tactics that use that card as I can. I'll often have my folders with me when I do so, so I can have sorted card text relevant to these concepts immediately at hand. Only once I've exhausted my ideas for that card do I file it away for later use. Then I move onto the next card. The process makes box-opening a little long, but it often gives me great inspiration for new decks to try out.

EDIT:

It occurred to me that I should state my my "favorite decks" are.

One is a mono-Lore Ranger tribal deck with tons of tricks for screwing with the gamestate in a player-positive manner. This one uses none of those cards (since three of them are Leadership, and one is a high-cost neutral). It uses mostly low to mid-cost cards, with some cost-reducing methods, but the deck is perfectly fine with slow-burning, since its primary purpose is tricks and it likes to keep its Event options open. I was thinking of doing a writeup for the deck in the near future, so keep your eyes peeled.

One is a mono-Tactics engagement control deck, whose sole purpose is to keep enemies off of the other players, enabling them to quest harder. It also uses none of the mentioned cards, though for a similar reason as the one above. The deck uses mostly low-cost cards with high value, in addition to a resource-generating trick through hero!Mablung, to do its work.

The last is a Lore/Spirit mix Elf tribal deck, which exists for questing and heavy damage/threat mitigation purposes. The deck is mostly low-cost cards, using multi-sphere heroes, to enable a choice of cards each turn. This deck uses A Test of Will, since it helps the concept of mitigating "bad stuff."

Edited by caelenvasius

What heroes are you using and do you have access to the entire card pool?  If not, what do you have?

I currently have 7 decks made and the only thing that is proxies is things like Steward of Gondor or A Very Good tale, so it is definitely possible.