Sign in to follow this  
eldrin81

A quicker voting method for char creation.

The first time we made characters and got to the voting, it seemed clunky. We had to pass a bag or box around, adding dice for our votes, then count them up. Doing this for each category on each character. We had 5 folks, and we had already taken alot of time to make characters. When voting came around i realized this was going to take EVEN longer.

A quickly came up with the following voting method.

1. The GM takes the first character sheet.

2. Gm instructs everyone but him to close their eyes.

3. Gm reads off the the character name, category, and the ratings given to both scores.

4. Players are instructed to vote based how accurate the characters scores are: Thumbs up for raising a score, thumbs down for lowering, closed fist out for no change( this lets the gm know everyone had made a decision)

5. Gm counts and announces the results, he makes a light + or - or 0 in the white space of the character sheets category and moves to the next category.

6. Repeat steps for every category on the sheet, then allow the player a few seconds to make their increases or decreases.

7. Remind the player to leave the +\-\0 notations until done, for reminder later about what positive or negative features to add /subtract based on group vote.

Repeat this for every character and you will find the voting goes vastly faster.

Trusting people to keep their eyes closed may be too much.  Sometimes, you can't keep your eyes closed, physically, due to irritant.  This can happen very quickly, thus making you open your eyes when you didn't mean to, none-the-less making it unfair because you see what you see.

Trusting people to keep their eyes closed may be too much.  Sometimes, you can't keep your eyes closed, physically, due to irritant.  This can happen very quickly, thus making you open your eyes when you didn't mean to, none-the-less making it unfair because you see what you see.

In theory this would still work, and it's good idea. You can eliminate the risk of a player accidentally letting an irritant force their eyes open by pulling a black trash bag over their heads and then tying a piece of chord or duct tape around the neck so they can't peek at the other players' votes. Then just take the bag off when the voting is done and hand it to the next person in line to be voted on.

Take a deck of regular playing cards and make sure everyone gets an even number of black/red suits. (You probably know where this is going.)

Pick ONE Category, a player, and then announce the stat, people vote with face down cards. Black negative, Red positive, or whatever. Shuffle the cards like dominos and then flip them over for the vote. 

The next vote is for the same category, but a DIFFERENT player. When every player in that category has been done, go to another category, but keep keep using the cards until card pairs run out. 

Then flip the cards used in the vote  face down, everyone puts their remaining cards, face down, in the pile, shuffle and redistribute. 

If you keep it moving with purpose, you can knock out two votes a minute and everyone should be pretty confused about who voted on what.

If you wanted to do all the votes one player and then move on, I'd suggest then just having that player turn around so you barely have to bother with shuffling. 

Edited by Vonether

Sorry guys forgot I posted this. This isn't arm-chair theory, this is something my group did the first time we played and realized the by the book method was taking forever. It worked out just fine, so I thought I'd share something that worked for us.

You could just as easily use index cards with raise/lower written on them or whatever, and have people vote the cards face down and reveal simultaneously.

It really doesn't make a difference what order you vote in, you are voting about whether a player's self assessment is accurate or not. We simply did all categories for each player individually. I made quick + or - notations and handed the sheet back to the player.

A ridiculous non-issue. Neither frequent enough to worry about, nor game-breaking should it happen the one time it does. If your trust in your fellow players is so flimsy that asking them to 'not peek' for a brief period is too much you are playing with the wrong folks.