Sign in to follow this  
EdgeOfDreams

Edge's Epic Essentials

Announcing my new guide to Epic play in X-Wing - Edge's Epic Essentials!

Main guide articles:

Interludes:

I'll be keeping this thread updated as I post more parts of the guide. Read Part 0 for more details about my plans. Any suggestions, feedback, comments, whatever are all welcome, whether here, on teamcovenant.com, or on Reddit where I'll be cross-posting the links as each new post goes up.

Edited by EdgeOfDreams

will it be limited to 300 point Epic or contain hints/tips for larger games as well?

I got a CR-90, but I want to collect all epic ships and once in a while play 600+ vs 600+ battles where I field all my ships.

At that scale I guess upgrades will become too troublesome to keep track of, but ace-pilots would be doable.

Cool! I look forward to the guide- and I agree, Epic is surprisingly fun after months and years of 100vs100 point death matches.

One small suggestion for your list of future topics: 4x IG88 is a list that only fits in epic play and probably deserves its own discussion.

Quad Aggressors is definitely on my list of squad ideas to share when I get around to writing about specific squads. Thanks for the reminder!

will it be limited to 300 point Epic or contain hints/tips for larger games as well?

I got a CR-90, but I want to collect all epic ships and once in a while play 600+ vs 600+ battles where I field all my ships.

At that scale I guess upgrades will become too troublesome to keep track of, but ace-pilots would be doable.

The main focus will be on 300 point Epic and 400 point Team Epic. However, most of the advice should scale for even larger battles. I'm not planning to spend a lot of time on "Here's exactly how to spend your 300 points". Rather, I'll be giving more general ideas and suggestions. I'll definitely consider having one post dedicated to going beyond normal Epic to even grander scales, though.

Bookmarked. Thanks for avoiding the term 'epic ship'!

You're welcome! I try to be very precise in my wording and use official terms where possible. "Huge ship" is my preferred term, though I will substitute "capital ship" on occasion when referring to the GR-75, CR-90, Raider, or Assault Carrier/Gozanti. Any other feedback on how to keep my communication clear is welcome.

Some of the rules interactions are really annoying and obscure.  One post might be well suited to that. 

Yep, rules interactions and clarifications is almost certainly a topic worthy of a post all to itself. I do want to be careful, however, to avoid sounding like I'm providing official answers to things that are open to interpretation. I may end up with a post that says a lot of things like, "Well, some players say X, and other say Y, but my best guess is that the real rule is Z."

Good stuff.  I'm constantly surprised by people who just flat out refuse to try it.  Why do people have the attitude against it? 

I love Epic as a way to play the same game, but in a very different way.  It's quite fun and refreshing.  Also, there are ships that might not be hyper competitive in regular Deathmatch that can really shine in this mode.  I've found X-wings to be great ships for Epic as their speed and firepower makes more of a difference.

I have to admit that I probably play Cinematic more often, though.  I'm the one usually making up both lists and coming up with some sort of scenario.  I find that more fun and more balanced.  Still, maybe it will spur others to wanting to make their own lists up. 

I would recommend not having players with all the same PS ships.  Don't take 12 Academy Pilots.  Just spend the points to break them up a bit and make the game play smoother.  Much better than waiting 20 min for that one guy to move all his stuff.

I would recommend not having players with all the same PS ships.  Don't take 12 Academy Pilots.  Just spend the points to break them up a bit and make the game play smoother.  Much better than waiting 20 min for that one guy to move all his stuff.

That's an interesting suggestion. Of course, how much of an effect it has also depends on what pilot skill your opponent's ships have.

Hey folks, expect to see an article from me later this weekend about the new upgrade cards from the Gozanti preview that came out today. I'm really excited about them. The release of the Gozanit is also coming at a perfect time for me to be able to include it and its cards in my series of articles on how to build each Huge ship.

I have to admit that I probably play Cinematic more often, though.  I'm the one usually making up both lists and coming up with some sort of scenario.  I find that more fun and more balanced.  Still, maybe it will spur others to wanting to make their own lists up. 

I'm not great at making even remotely balanced lists; I don't think I play well enough as I tend to over bias or compensate one of the sides.

You should put your scenarios on a shared google docs with list links or but them in Mission Control and publish the Links.  That would be awesome.

I'm not great at making even remotely balanced lists; I don't think I play well enough as I tend to over bias or compensate one of the sides.

You should put your scenarios on a shared google docs with list links or but them in Mission Control and publish the Links.  That would be awesome.

My Erasmus campaign is up on Mission Control.  The first one sat outside the Top 10 forever.  It's not Epic, though.

I did write up a battle report on 200 vs 200 of Tantive vs. Imperials (mostly Tie Fighters) that I played about a year ago.  So, ships are out of date.  I can probably dig it up if you want. 

I started a thread for a scenario that I did before the Raider came out.  I made a space station out of a plastic cup and a few other things glued on it.  Made up some rules for it and all.  I had fun with that mission and think it was balanced. 

Babaganoosh makes some good scenarios, too. 

Hmmm....maybe I should write another scenario?  I kind of want to do the campaign in the Raider, though.  It looks fun.  I hear it's pretty good. 

That's an interesting suggestion. Of course, how much of an effect it has also depends on what pilot skill your opponent's ships have.

Actually, I have found it has minimal effect on the actual gameplay.  I encourage ships to fly in squads and like to have multiplayer Epic where each person gets a squad.  So, there is some parts as to who goes first and who bumps, but it's not a very big impact into the game for an advantage, if that's what you mean.  Who moves or shoots first to get an edge?  No....it's based purely on preventing Epic games from bogging down and taking too long.  Have you tried to play where one guy was given a huge number of the same PS ships?  "OK.....Tie Fighter #7 is shooting at.....ahh.....this guy!  Yeah...ahh...he rolls a hit.  That's Joe's X-wing...so roll green dice.  Joe?  Oh, he's in the bathroom?  Can't Billy roll for him?  He's talking to the card players?  ...ahhh...I guess we wait."

JUST FOR KENATSUNRISE....I made up a list of Epic ships that looks balanced to me.  Just a straight up slugfest.  I've done no play testing and it's all based on a few games of Epic.

IMPERIALS

Raider

Fore: Gunnery Team and Ion Cannon Battery

Aft: Shield Tech, Instigator (title), Engineering Team, Backup Shield Generator, and Quad Laser Cannon

Gamma Squadron Pilot w/ Plasma Torp, EM, and Proximity Mines

2 x Scimitar Pilot w/ Plasma Torp, EM, and Proximity Mines

Lt. Lorrir

Saber Squadron Interceptor

Avenger Squadron Interceptor

2 x Black Squadron Tie Fighter

2 x Obsidian Squadron Tie Fighter

2 x Academy Pilot Tie Fighter

(meant to be two different squads)

REBELS:

CR-90

Fore: Weapons Engineer, Sensor Team, Tibanna Gas Supply, Ion Cannon Battery, Single Turbo Laser

Aft: Engine Booster, Quad Laser Cannons

Horton Salm w/ EM, Proton Torpedo

Grey Squadron Y-wing w/ EM, Proton Torpedo

Gold Squadron Y-wing w/ EM, Proton Torpedo

Green Squadron A-wing w/ Chardaan Refit and VI

Green Squadron A-wing w/ Chardaan Refit

Prototype A-wing w/ Chardaan Refit

Red Squadron X-wing

2 x Rookie X-wing

Each is 320 pts.  Imperials want to charge at the CR-90, which wants to run and gun.  The Imps have better shield repair while the CR-90 has better ranged attacks.  Also, their hero is Horton and can pack a better punch vs. the Raider.  Rebel ships can do more damage to the Raider, as well, as they do more damage.  The Raider will have to use their fighters to take out the enemy fighters.  It should be a game to see if the CR-90 can dance out in front of the Raider and cause enough damage without getting caught at closer range.  Or let the Fighters hit the Raider.  The Raider needs to deal with Rebel fighters and then close with the CR-90.  The Bombers with mines should help protect the Raider....but they can't block it's way, either. 

If you want to spend more points, you can give the Y-wings Ion Turets and the Tie Interceptors AutoThrusters.  You want to spend more points?  Throw more ordnance on the A-wings and/or X-wings to have a loaded Punisher or a few more Tie Fighters. 

EdgeOfDreams, I'm so excited that your writing up your thoughts on Epic. I've read it so far, and I like it!

Earlier this year I had a great Epic battle that included all three of the current Huge ships. I'm not posting this report to convince you to write anything in particular, but with you and so many avid Epic fans reading this, I thought you might enjoy reading my battle report if you haven't already. Always fun to try out some interesting combos!

I have some Empire points and setup points about EPIC in my Strategy Session and Hothie did up a good review of the CR-90 and EPIC cost analysis. I link to his Bat Rep article in mine.

Link: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/187590-strategy-session-7-epic-play/?hl=%2Bstrategy+%2Bsession

You make some great points there about how to plan for Epic games. I also really like your deployment diagrams. I think deployment and initial engagement maneuvers are many times more important in Epic than they are in Standard play, due to the poor maneuverability of Huge ships and the dangers of leaving part of your squad out of the fight for multiple rounds.

EdgeOfDreams, I'm so excited that your writing up your thoughts on Epic. I've read it so far, and I like it!

Earlier this year I had a great Epic battle that included all three of the current Huge ships. I'm not posting this report to convince you to write anything in particular, but with you and so many avid Epic fans reading this, I thought you might enjoy reading my battle report if you haven't already. Always fun to try out some interesting combos!

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it! Your battle report was definitely interesting as well. Did I understand right, though, that you deployed your Huge ships AFTER the PS 1 to 3 small ships? The Epic Tournament rules actually say that you're supposed to deploy all Huge ships first, in pilot skill + initiative order, then deploy all Small and Large ships in the normal pilot skill + initiative order. This actually makes a pretty significant difference in how you react to your opponent's deployment choices.

Did I understand right, though, that you deployed your Huge ships AFTER the PS 1 to 3 small ships? The Epic Tournament rules actually say that you're supposed to deploy all Huge ships first, in pilot skill + initiative order, then deploy all Small and Large ships in the normal pilot skill + initiative order. This actually makes a pretty significant difference in how you react to your opponent's deployment choices.

Yep, I guess I had misunderstood that rule this whole time. No one's perfect, eh? ...now I know :D

EDIT: I had assumed that because Huge ships move last in the Activation Phase, that they also deployed last. I didn't even think to check the tournament rules about that.

Edited by Parakitor

JUST FOR KENATSUNRISE....I made up a list of Epic ships that looks balanced to me.  Just a straight up slugfest.  I've done no play testing and it's all based on a few games of Epic.

IMPERIALS

Raider

Fore: Gunnery Team and Ion Cannon Battery

Aft: Shield Tech, Instigator (title), Engineering Team, Backup Shield Generator, and Quad Laser Cannon

Gamma Squadron Pilot w/ Plasma Torp, EM, and Proximity Mines

2 x Scimitar Pilot w/ Plasma Torp, EM, and Proximity Mines

Lt. Lorrir

Saber Squadron Interceptor

Avenger Squadron Interceptor

2 x Black Squadron Tie Fighter

2 x Obsidian Squadron Tie Fighter

2 x Academy Pilot Tie Fighter

(meant to be two different squads)

REBELS:

CR-90

Fore: Weapons Engineer, Sensor Team, Tibanna Gas Supply, Ion Cannon Battery, Single Turbo Laser

Aft: Engine Booster, Quad Laser Cannons

Horton Salm w/ EM, Proton Torpedo

Grey Squadron Y-wing w/ EM, Proton Torpedo

Gold Squadron Y-wing w/ EM, Proton Torpedo

Green Squadron A-wing w/ Chardaan Refit and VI

Green Squadron A-wing w/ Chardaan Refit

Prototype A-wing w/ Chardaan Refit

Red Squadron X-wing

2 x Rookie X-wing

Each is 320 pts.  Imperials want to charge at the CR-90, which wants to run and gun.  The Imps have better shield repair while the CR-90 has better ranged attacks.  Also, their hero is Horton and can pack a better punch vs. the Raider.  Rebel ships can do more damage to the Raider, as well, as they do more damage.  The Raider will have to use their fighters to take out the enemy fighters.  It should be a game to see if the CR-90 can dance out in front of the Raider and cause enough damage without getting caught at closer range.  Or let the Fighters hit the Raider.  The Raider needs to deal with Rebel fighters and then close with the CR-90.  The Bombers with mines should help protect the Raider....but they can't block it's way, either. 

If you want to spend more points, you can give the Y-wings Ion Turets and the Tie Interceptors AutoThrusters.  You want to spend more points?  Throw more ordnance on the A-wings and/or X-wings to have a loaded Punisher or a few more Tie Fighters.

This is something I'm going to try to set up right after the holidays.  Whoo Hoo!  :)

I like the latest article.  I just finally read it.  Good overview on the new items.

One thing I think you missed was on Automated Protocols.  If you take it with the Instigator, you can get another free shield recovery for free.  That's not bad at all!  

I also think it's fine to go either with Ordnance Experts or Weapons Team, but both is a bit of overkill on points.  O. Experts does work for other ships in R1-3, though.  

Good stuff!  I enjoy the Epic talk. 

I like the latest article.  I just finally read it.  Good overview on the new items.

One thing I think you missed was on Automated Protocols.  If you take it with the Instigator, you can get another free shield recovery for free.  That's not bad at all!  

I also think it's fine to go either with Ordnance Experts or Weapons Team, but both is a bit of overkill on points.  O. Experts does work for other ships in R1-3, though.  

Good stuff!  I enjoy the Epic talk. 

Thanks. It's good to know people like it.

I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to say with Instigator + Automated Protocols, but I think it doesn't work the way you think it does. You can never take the same action twice with the same ship in the same round, so even with Automated Protocols you can't Recover twice in the same round. You can, however, Recover + Reinforce in the same round.

I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to say with Instigator + Automated Protocols, but I think it doesn't work the way you think it does. You can never take the same action twice with the same ship in the same round, so even with Automated Protocols you can't Recover twice in the same round. You can, however, Recover + Reinforce in the same round.

Instigator lets you gain another shield back whenever you do a reinforce.  So, if you get one reinforce back, you then get another for free.  What this combo means is that the two will allow you to do your action....and then get 2 free Shield.

Instigator lets you gain another shield back whenever you do a reinforce.  So, if you get one reinforce back, you then get another for free.  What this combo means is that the two will allow you to do your action....and then get 2 free Shield.

No, read Instigator again. It gives you one additional shield when you *Recover*, on top of the normal shields you get back for doing a Recover action. You don't ever get shields for doing a Reinforce. Are you sure you're not getting the two action types confused?

And again, regardless of which action Instigator applies to, you can't do the same action twice. You can't double recover. You can't double reinforce.