Sign in to follow this  
w1ndst0rm

The Other 16*

I'm unsure why FFG insists on running a full number of Swiss Rounds and then a Top Cut, a full number of Swiss Rounds is only needed to get an undefeated player, which is unneeded if there is a cut.

In this case, with >256 players and a cut to the Top 16, they needed 8 rounds anyway so all the X-1's would get in.

More rounds is always better for getting a more accurate sorting anyway. The trick is to architect the tournament so the cut occurs at or very close to a point boundary.

My point was the amount of competitors of a singular country in contrast to the remaining competitors.

Again nothing against FFG or the achievements of players, my main issue (if you can call it that, as said I think it is funny, not a major problem) was with the use of the term Worlds if there is no equal form of representation.

Since X-Wing isn't a team game, there will always be someone who is "over-represented" at Worlds.  That's simply the way it is, unless they re-structure that one tournament completely differently from every other Premier level event.

Which is why I chose the cyclocross as an example. Not much of a team sport either ;)

A little over-representation happens in many competitions. But when it exceeds 50% it is debatable whether it is truly a world event.

One might say there are competitors from all over the world, therefore a world event.

One other might say one country delivers more than half of the contestants, therefore it isn't a world event, but more a nations 'open championship.'

Chose whichever you prefer. They both have a point, though as can be surmised I do lean more towards the former than the latter. ;)

Remains to say I honestly do hope everyone had / has a great time at Worlds and do wish the best of results for all.

My point was the amount of competitors of a singular country in contrast to the remaining competitors.

Again nothing against FFG or the achievements of players, my main issue (if you can call it that, as said I think it is funny, not a major problem) was with the use of the term Worlds if there is no equal form of representation.

Since X-Wing isn't a team game, there will always be someone who is "over-represented" at Worlds.  That's simply the way it is, unless they re-structure that one tournament completely differently from every other Premier level event.

Which is why I chose the cyclocross as an example. Not much of a team sport either ;)

A little over-representation happens in many competitions. But when it exceeds 50% it is debatable whether it is truly a world event.

One might say there are competitors from all over the world, therefore a world event.

One other might say one country delivers more than half of the contestants, therefore it isn't a world event, but more a nations 'open championship.'

Chose whichever you prefer. They both have a point, though as can be surmised I do lean more towards the former than the latter. ;)

Remains to say I honestly do hope everyone had / has a great time at Worlds and do wish the best of results for all.

What fraction of X wing players are US? The world's numbers might actually be representative.

With the number of people the cut should have been to 32. Hopefully they reevaluate and change the tourney rules for larger tourneys next year. AND expand the world championship for xwing to be more than 270ish people..OR make it so you have to qualify... :0)

What fraction of X wing players are US? The world's numbers might actually be representative.

I might be on thin ice here, but I took it as an educated guess that at a major event in the US! more than half of the players would be from the US. :)

Even if there are more players it would mean there is a larger pool to draw skilled and talented players from. The question is whether they all need to attend said major event ;)

But maybe I am just dreaming ahead towards the time were worlds will be a meeting of the champions of North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia & the Pacific to see who is the World Champion :D

Well, two Canucks made the top 32 - ironically we were both flying 4xTLT thugs

I made 32 - would have _just_ made the cut :-)

Which means Heaver would have taken me down real quick

Edited by TnT