Sign in to follow this  
lupex

So what legends really didn't happen?

I had an idea that as we learn more details from the new canon and the 'facts' of the legendary time period of a long time ago, that some aspects of the stories that we have been told over generations will have been disproven. Not the large sweeping aspect of the stories but more the fine detail, the minutiae of who did what and when has changed due to 'new information' that has been uncovered.

I thought it might be fun to compile a list of these changes, for no other reason than having some fun and pooling our collective geekiness. To get us started I will layout the biggest elephant in the room;

Chewbacca did not have a moon dropped on him during the Intergalactic invasion of Yuuzhan Vong invaders in 25 ABY (as shown by the excavation of the recent historical documents covering the resistance battles against the first order). How has this changed our understanding of other events of that period?

What other details have historians mistakenly recorded that definitely did not happen? My fellow researchers, please help me compile this historical errata.

Yeah...I don't think it's going to be at all feasible to try and retcon the entire EU to this point as some sort of "oops, we goofed" that somehow manages to reconcile both timelines.

ETA: Personally, I'm taking the approach of "until the new storyline contradicts, I'm sticking to the existing EU as I always have (that is, only concerning myself with the portion of the timeline consisting of KotOR, TPM through RotJ, and about 8-10 years after that...no Vong, no Darth Jacen, no Cade Skywalker...).  When things start to contradict, I'll revisit the issues and go from there, but I've always been one to thumb my nose at the concept of "canon", and I don't plan on changing my ways much just because we've got some new movies.

Edited by hydrospanner

A good starting point would be the novel Aftermath (didn't like the writing style, but the story & world building are pretty good) and the Shattered Empire comic. Both of those are post Endor (immediately for Shatter Empire, and apps 6-12 months for Aftermath).

Legends wise things like species, planets, technology etc are continually being re-canonised in the new fiction (e.g. Interdictor cruisers). But many specific characters and 99% of the actual stories probably won't ever be.

Yeah...I don't think it's going to be at all feasible to try and retcon the entire EU to this point as some sort of "oops, we goofed" that somehow manages to reconcile both timelines.

ETA: Personally, I'm taking the approach of "until the new storyline contradicts, I'm sticking to the existing EU as I always have (that is, only concerning myself with the portion of the timeline consisting of KotOR, TPM through RotJ, and about 8-10 years after that...no Vong, no Darth Jacen, no Cade Skywalker...).  When things start to contradict, I'll revisit the issues and go from there, but I've always been one to thumb my nose at the concept of "canon", and I don't plan on changing my ways much just because we've got some new movies.

This is my basic approach, although I reserve the right to completely change things in any campaign my group plays.

Back in the day when I occasionally read Star Wars fiction there was just something about the Vong that completely turned me off and I ignore/haven't read anything about that era.

A good starting point would be the novel Aftermath (didn't like the writing style, but the story & world building are pretty good) and the Shattered Empire comic. Both of those are post Endor (immediately for Shatter Empire, and apps 6-12 months for Aftermath).

At the risk of reopening the "Good lord, Aftermath STANK!" arguments, I would go with Lost Stars over Aftermath in a hot second. It's a much better picture of the neo-universe and frankly the book didn't give me cancer the way that Aftermath did.

At Celebration this year, Pablo Hidalgo said until it is contradicted, you can assume it happened.

I would go with that.

*scurries off to make sure Thrawn can fit into the universe*

You know what I was actually attempting to have a bit of fun with all of this from an in universe historical perspective. I was looking for what had actually been contradicted, and describing it as affecting the stories that we though we're fact.

Yes, it is all fiction. I know it can't all be retconned. Yep, there is a movie coming out. I can and will use what aspects of Star Wars fiction I want to and am not beholden to uncle George, Disney or anyone else to change my universe.

And if you aren't interested in a thread like this why bother posting in it, nobody said anything about getting knickers knotted?

Thanks for killing the fun guys.

Edited by lupex

The only thing that couldn't have happened under any conceivable circumstances are  THE VONG! They're anathema. They are the ones killing the fun, the truly Trekkiesque element in SW.

If Ackbar didn't knit the B-Wing, he could have crocheted it. It all comes down to the needle.

But, the best thing that's happened to canon under the Mouse's rule are loyalty officers, the political commissars that make even higher ranking officers soil their pants.

Edited by Grimmerling

The only thing that couldn't have happened under any conceivable circumstances are  THE VONG! They're anathema. They are the ones killing the fun, the truly Trekkiesque element in SW.

If Ackbar didn't knit the B-Wing, he could have crocheted it. It all comes down to the needle.

But, the best thing that's happened to canon under the Mouse's rule are loyalty officers, the political commissars that make even higher ranking officers soil their pants.

Haven't those existed since WEG? The ISB, like Agent Callus from Rebels at least are definetly a WEG invention.

Edited by Lord Zack

The Wookiee says, quote: "Loyalty officers appear in Star Wars canon, starting with 2015's Aftermath."

Loyalty officers are special ISB agents, embedded in regular troops to root out dissent, just like Red Army political commissars. They might have existed in some apocryphal WEG splat, but now they're canon.

The Wookiee says, quote: "Loyalty officers appear in Star Wars canon, starting with 2015's Aftermath."

Loyalty officers are special ISB agents, embedded in regular troops to root out dissent, just like Red Army political commissars. They might have existed in some apocryphal WEG splat, but now they're canon.

That does sound like something WEG would come up with, yeah. (Paranoia RPG)

What part of the legends are real and what is fact? That's up to the GM.

If you are playing in the classic era then even the events of the prequels and clone wars could be made up, inflated for propaganda reasons or did actually happen.

The Old Republic stories should sound like the Iliad to us.