Sign in to follow this  
Winter79

Beat this reb list - Tactical advice for an Empire list

Bombers.  Oh man bombers.  As an Imperial, play massed bombers and VSDs with Boosted Comms.  You can probably table him without ever getting an actual shot off from your carriers.

And if you prefer to play Rebels, the answer is STILL Bombers.  Y-Wings will cave Ackbar's bulbous face in.  Want something faster?  Grab a bunch of A-Wings and just pummel him with small damage.

Take a look at this:

400/400

Assault Frigate Mk2 B

Mon Mothma

Raymus Antilles

Gunnery Team

Boosted Comms

Assault frigate Mk2 B

Gunnery Team

Boosted Comms

Assault frigate Mk2 B

Gunnery Team

Boosted Comms

Dash Rendar

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Precision Strike

Fleet Ambush

Superior Positions

Yeah, let's see them try to handle that with no squadron support.  Want to be on the offensive all game?  Drop Raymus for a 7 point bid and let Dash activate himself in the squadron phase.

I appreciate the idea, but TBH who really has 3 copies of boosted comms? I'm virtually insane with collecting (I have 2 raiders, an MC30, an ISD and 1.5 rogues and villains packs) having a good bit of wave 2 bought on the secondary market and I don't even KNOW anyone with more than 2 of those cards yet!

Bombers.  Oh man bombers.  As an Imperial, play massed bombers and VSDs with Boosted Comms.  You can probably table him without ever getting an actual shot off from your carriers.

And if you prefer to play Rebels, the answer is STILL Bombers.  Y-Wings will cave Ackbar's bulbous face in.  Want something faster?  Grab a bunch of A-Wings and just pummel him with small damage.

Take a look at this:

400/400

Assault Frigate Mk2 B

Mon Mothma

Raymus Antilles

Gunnery Team

Boosted Comms

Assault frigate Mk2 B

Gunnery Team

Boosted Comms

Assault frigate Mk2 B

Gunnery Team

Boosted Comms

Dash Rendar

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Precision Strike

Fleet Ambush

Superior Positions

Yeah, let's see them try to handle that with no squadron support.  Want to be on the offensive all game?  Drop Raymus for a 7 point bid and let Dash activate himself in the squadron phase.

I appreciate the idea, but TBH who really has 3 copies of boosted comms? I'm virtually insane with collecting (I have 2 raiders, an MC30, an ISD and 1.5 rogues and villains packs) having a good bit of wave 2 bought on the secondary market and I don't even KNOW anyone with more than 2 of those cards yet!

Some people proxy cards.... Personally, I don't or at the very least haven't done it or seen it done locally, but it's apparently a thing elsewhere.

Take a look at this:

400/400

Assault Frigate Mk2 B

Mon Mothma

Raymus Antilles

Gunnery Team

Boosted Comms

Assault frigate Mk2 B

Gunnery Team

Boosted Comms

Assault frigate Mk2 B

Gunnery Team

Boosted Comms

Dash Rendar

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Precision Strike

Fleet Ambush

Superior Positions

Some people proxy cards.... Personally, I don't or at the very least haven't done it or seen it done locally, but it's apparently a thing elsewhere.

Oh yeah, I have heard of that, however in my experience its only done in practice matches between friends. Personally if I went to a match and someone had some proxy cards I wouldn't like it because I don't believe in doing that myself, so I would be at an automatic disadvantage in not being able to maximize my fleet.

Technically you can proxy everything and push around pieces of cardboard and roll 8-sided dice with the numbers mapped to Armada icons, but where do you draw the line?

Take a look at this:

400/400

Assault Frigate Mk2 B

Mon Mothma

Raymus Antilles

Gunnery Team

Boosted Comms

Assault frigate Mk2 B

Gunnery Team

Boosted Comms

Assault frigate Mk2 B

Gunnery Team

Boosted Comms

Dash Rendar

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Precision Strike

Fleet Ambush

Superior Positions

Oh yeah, I have heard of that, however in my experience its only done in practice matches between friends. Personally if I went to a match and someone had some proxy cards I wouldn't like it because I don't believe in doing that myself, so I would be at an automatic disadvantage in not being able to maximize my fleet.

Technically you can proxy everything and push around pieces of cardboard and roll 8-sided dice with the numbers mapped to Armada icons, but where do you draw the line?

Proxying is fine as a method to learn a list. You shouldn't expect someone to invest an extra 60$ just for an extra card. Ships you should have but cards is kinda a prudish thing to get upset over. At least if you're not at an event, but in that case you can borrow anything you need specifically. I don't own a gladiator personally, but I don't let that keep me from list building since I know 3-5 different opponents who'd let me use one to have a better game

Take a look at this:

400/400

Assault Frigate Mk2 B

Mon Mothma

Raymus Antilles

Gunnery Team

Boosted Comms

Assault frigate Mk2 B

Gunnery Team

Boosted Comms

Assault frigate Mk2 B

Gunnery Team

Boosted Comms

Dash Rendar

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Y-Wing

Precision Strike

Fleet Ambush

Superior Positions

Proxying is fine as a method to learn a list. You shouldn't expect someone to invest an extra 60$ just for an extra card. Ships you should have but cards is kinda a prudish thing to get upset over. At least if you're not at an event, but in that case you can borrow anything you need specifically. I don't own a gladiator personally, but I don't let that keep me from list building since I know 3-5 different opponents who'd let me use one to have a better game

Good for you that you have people to borrow things from! HURRAY YOU!

I don't.

I also think that while expecting someone to buy a ship for an upgrade card is silly, but thems the breaks! Building the best fleet you can with what you have ADDS flavour and variety to the game. It's part of what makes collecting compelling.

So to summarize, I don't have anyone to borrow from, I don't believe in faking components for the reasons above, I refuse to be at a disadvantage because I insist on playing with proper components. If you are someone I play with regularly and you want to have a practice match to decide if you want to drop $60 on Neb-Bs so you fake some cards, sure I'd be happy to help, but if I show up to play a stranger and he wants to field stuff printed out of his Inkjet...I don't think so.

Well thank you for your post - I've just had a read. I'm very much learning this game, but have another 6 games to play at 400 pts over the next week against 3 opponents lined up. I'm not totally inexperienced, I must have played 50 + games at Wave 1 and had 10 games had wave 2 level.

Your right about no squadrons, so list 2 is this. its a build to handle both lists that I'm trying to work at.  

SHIP: Assault Frigate Mark II B 72
UPGRADES PTS
 Admiral Ackbar 38
 Gunnery Team7
 Boosted Comms4
 Electronic Countermeasures7
 Enhanced Armament 10
Total Points: 138
SHIP: Assault Frigate Mark II B 72
UPGRADES PTS
 Gunnery Team7
 Boosted Comms4
 Enhanced Armament 10
Total Points: 93
SHIP: MC30c Scout Frigate 69
UPGRADES PTS
 Gunnery Team7
 Assault Concussion Missiles7
 Enhanced Armament 10
Total Points: 93
SHIP: A-wing Squadron 11
SHIP: B-wing Squadron 14
SHIP: B-wing Squadron 14

Total = 396

Objectives 0 UPGRADES PTS Advanced Gunnery 0 Hyperspace Assault 0 Minefields

So far the Victory has basically been great - great that is for the rebels as a great way of scoring easy points. Its totally outclassed and has basically being completely ineffective in every game its been used against Ackbar list. Its outgunned and out maneuvered (its also worth noting that not all games have been against Ackbar a couple of bomber command games using Mc80 carrier and multiple bomber/fighters has shown the Vic to be less than useful). The empire lists that have worked have been boxers - 1 ISD 2 and 3 GSD with Con Missiles (inc Dem) or 2 ISD 2's and Dem, each with a couple of fighters. Tactic fly at Mc80 and box it and kill it. The Empire take a beating, but can just do enough. However its the Mc80's size and maneuverability that allows the empire to do this. I not sure its so easy against a AF2, a skilled pilot can keep them away of medium/close range. I'm interested to find out. 

So higher Emp bomber lists are still to be tried. I've got another 6 games to see, i'll provide my findings.