Sign in to follow this  
GiraffeandZebra

So didn't FFG promise changes at Worlds?

I swear I heard somewhere, perhaps NOVA squadron or a TC interview or maybe even at the InFlight Report, that FFG was planning some changes to how they would run Worlds and/or OP in the future based upon what happened this year, and they would announce the changes at Worlds.

But as far as I can tell, nothing was said?

Edited by GiraffeandZebra

yes Steve Horvath promised an announcement when he was at GenCon that would be made at Worlds. Nothing was announced at all. I have asked him but have received no reply. FFG has an issue with broken promises that they really need to fix. 

I heard through the grapevine that they said they will now not be announcing anything till next year. 

it'll be 6 rounds, top 32 cut, mark my words. 

the announcement is supposed to be about all of their OP for 2016 for all of the games. Not just Worlds. I am sure for Worlds we might see a new venue but I also heard the current event center is undergoing additions. 

Edited by Toqtamish

I don't smell anything sinister in their failing to make a big announcement.  If that was the plan, obviously something significant changed, and the change mooted the scheduled announcement. 

If my wife and I plan to announce the gender of our unborn child, but we lose the child before the announcement, there would probably some who, being ignorant of our reasons, would imagine that our failure to make an announcement was in some way deplorable or deceitful.

Because I live in a world where "stuff" happens, I've become more inclined to give the benefit of doubt to parties involved in these kinds of situations.  Rather than frame what I see in the less than charitable caricature.

I think Sithborg put his finger on the most likely reason the announcement was either postponed or dissolved altogether.

ah fair enough.  in relation x-wing, a lot of people were annoyed and confused by the bizarre 8 rounds and top 16, so i figure that's what mattered to people here. 

People may have been confused about it, but it was both standard across their other games and was the proper cut to allow all X-1 players to get in.

I have to question this whole 'promise' thing. Did they actually say "We promise to have more information at Worlds" or did they simply say they had an announcement they would be making then.

It's pretty odd for a business to ever use the word promise, but it's not that odd for people to hear that word when it's not actually used.

I don't smell anything sinister in their failing to make a big announcement.  If that was the plan, obviously something significant changed, and the change mooted the scheduled announcement. 

No one said there was anything sinister. Their issue is they consistently over promise and under deliver. 

The change I am interested in is a change to realistic release dates. If you're always 3 months late releasing X-Wing waves then why not just take your anticipated release date and add 3 months to it? If it comes early, everyone is happy, but more importantly, if it comes on time, no one is unhappy.

No one said there was anything sinister. Their issue is they consistently over promise and under deliver. 

Sorry but .. frankly thats just BS.

They made no such promise, what they said is that they "planned" to make an announcement.  They said planned, you heard promise.  This isn't a problem with FFG making promises and not keeping them, this a problem with your hearing.

They made no such promise, what they said is that they "planned" to make an announcement.  They said planned, you heard promise.  This isn't a problem with FFG making promises and not keeping them, this a problem with your hearing.

There is zero need to be so rude nor am i only referring to this one instance or even just X-Wing related. 

Edited by Toqtamish

There is zero need to be so rude nor am i only referring to this one instance or even just X-Wing related. 

So have I and I can tell you that this is the sort of non-sense that gets posted all the time.  considering how convoluted, disorganized and dishonest most companies are, we are lucky to have FFG so if you want to make stuff up and trash talk them... well .. be ready to be called on your BS.

So have I and I can tell you that this is the sort of non-sense that gets posted all the time.  considering how convoluted, disorganized and dishonest most companies are, we are lucky to have FFG so if you want to make stuff up and trash talk them... well .. be ready to be called on your BS.

In no way am I trash talking them. I love FFG and consider many of them friends. That doesn't make their lack of consistency less annoying. Anyway you are not worth my time. Thank the mods for ignore lists. 

Maybe you're not familiar with the Star Wars LCG scene. Last year (or was it the year before?) FFG told some of the podcasters that they had very special prizes lined up for Star Wars LCG that year at World Championships. Those podcasters/streamers passed the message along to fans and attendance skyrocketed for World Championships. The prizes turned out to be less exciting than the year before and there was a price hike for attendance. This left a really sour taste in the mouths of many of the SWLCG community.

That is just one example that Toqtamish is talking about. Yes, FFG is great. Yes, they are better than many other companies. But that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

Personally, I'm indifferent to the absence of an OP announcement. We'll get it when we get it. But I definitely see Toqtamish's point of view.

Edited by Budgernaut

Personally, I'm nonplussed by the absence of an OP announcement. We'll get it when we get it. But I definitely see Toqtamish's point of view.

You're so surprised by the lack of an OP announcement that you don't even know how to react?

(Sorry, misuse of nonplussed to mean the exact opposite of its actual meaning is kind of a pet peeve of mine)

Personally, I'm nonplussed by the absence of an OP announcement. We'll get it when we get it. But I definitely see Toqtamish's point of view.

You're so surprised by the lack of an OP announcement that you don't even know how to react?

(Sorry, misuse of nonplussed to mean the exact opposite of its actual meaning is kind of a pet peeve of mine)

Woops. Let me go fix that.

f67334bc58f2468bad15312669d5edaa0afe4c44

One of the biggest shortcomings about an initial cap of 256 participants (I think that number is right or at least close) is that the tickets sold out extraordinarily fast and a great many people who wanted to purchase tickets weren't able to. One of the worst outcomes that resulted from this was the number of players from abroad that planned to travel to Worlds with a group of friends only to see a portion of their group get tickets and have others unable to get them. To me this represented one of the worst scenarios as you really do want to be able to make this event as accessible as possible to all of the people willing to travel internationally for the "World Championship". The thread that popped up about it not truly being a "World Championship" was misguided but did have an element of validity.

Overall there was far more demand for tickets than what FFG had room to accomodate. That hurt everyone both here and internationally. Any number that gets thrown out about what they could have drawn were space, time and logistics not an issue would be pure speculation. I figured they could get double what they did but I don't know if that is low or high or close. All I know is that the game continues to grow and it would seem to be in FFG's best interests to figure out how to accommodate as many people as possible. Obviously things would need to be broken up into multiple flights or something in order to get the event completed without too many swiss rounds and have an appropriate cut.

That being said, they have done a marvelous job with game balance. The longer the game is around the more difficult that becomes and it's impressive the direction it's gone. If I had to choose between game balance and a better setup for Worlds I would choose game balance. So keep up the good work FFG!