Sign in to follow this  
Panic 217

Topic Solely Decidated to the Greatest EPT IN THE GAME

One off usage flash in the pan EPT. Lacks consistency throughout a match. Waste of 1 squad point as are all the use and discard upgrades. One turn of advantage equals one turn of good dice results. It does not win games.

If an upgrade says discard on it it does not get used...

One off usage flash in the pan EPT. Lacks consistency throughout a match. Waste of 1 squad point as are all the use and discard upgrades. One turn of advantage equals one turn of good dice results. It does not win games.

I'll just direct you to a post i made in another thread.

Imagine the possibilities of Earning 25+ points in one round... WITH A SINGLE POINT EPT?!?

"But how?", you'd ask inquisitively.

"Oh jimmy" I'd tussle your hair. "Its simple! With PTL, and Prockets, and the non-caring ability of stress Tycho can Targetlock and Focus on a target at range one.  Which would allow you to Blow your opponent out of the water!  5 hits with use of your Targetlock!."

"Awesome!!" you exclaim as your opponent's IG-B Rolls those Dastardly defense dice.

He cackles Maniacally as thanks to Boosting and being teamed with IG-C he gets a free Evade token. but sadly only rolls 1 evade because Greendice SURE CAN BE FICKLE!!!!

"Golly if only there was a way..."

"Hold on there Timmy, Remember which EPT you took. Not that Silly non-believer Wired... OH NO, you took Crackshot!"

"gee thanks Mister"

Looks like that 4 damage shot thanks to that one cancelled defense roll scored you 25 Points due to the Large Ship MOV Changes.

"Always remember Jimmy Drugs are not the Answer... unless its in a video game or board game, then drugs are usually the answer."

Totally worth it, think about it...you pay 12 points for a 3 hull TIE, so 4 points/HP or 3 points/HP with hull upgrade. Crackshot is one point for one damage, i.e. incredibly efficient for what you pay.

Totally worth it, think about it...you pay 12 points for a 3 hull TIE, so 4 points/HP or 3 points/HP with hull upgrade. Crackshot is one point for one damage, i.e. incredibly efficient for what you pay.

notable math issue, the 12 point AP cant take Crackshot. minimum is 15 point loadout with crackshot.

5points per HP

Judging from what we got in Wave 6 and 7 and what we know about Wave 8, it looks like FFG is embracing powerful, but cheap, one-shot upgrades. 

I can see the logic in using it on a Tie Swarm or on M3-As. Fragile weak little ships get a minor boost for 'that' action round when they can make a difference.

All the examples of play based around these one shot cards are built on the highest of expectations, and maximum damage or effect. When in reality the dice do not care and it is just as probable to roll three blanks with your Tie in range 1 on the round you pop Crackshot as any other round.

As I said, one shots give a minor boost that equates to a good round of dice rolling at the expense of losing 1 squad point per upgrade that could have been spent more effectively.

My opinion. Don't expect to see one shots in my lists...and they will still take down your lists...or not...depending on the whims of the dice...

Edited by Uumbuku

notable math issue, the 12 point AP cant take Crackshot. minimum is 15 point loadout with crackshot.

5points per HP

Was only equating the cost of 1 damage to the cost of one HP, not on a ship that can take it. Since the AP is regarded as the most efficient ship in the game I used it as my baseline.

All the examples of play based around these one shot cards are built on the highest of expectations, and maximum damage or effect. When in reality the dice do not care and it is just as easy to roll three blanks with your Tie in range 1 on the round you pop Crackshot as any other round.

Look at an HLC Aggressor shooting at Soontir Fel with Stealth Device. If the Agressor comes up with 4 hits, Soontir needs to roll perfectly, and then spend an Evade to avoid taking damage.If he does evade all the damage, Gunner triggers. If Soontir is in a position where he is deciding whether or not to let a point of damage through to avoid triggering Gunner, he knows that he'll let two points of damage slip through.

Sure, 4 hits on an HLC is a good roll, but it's not ridiculous. Even if the Aggressor only gets 3 hits (which is extremely likely assuming modifications), Soontir is probably going to have to spend some tokens to avoid taking damage. Forcing an ace like Soontir to spend tokens like you've got an extra hit is a fairly powerful ability. 

5points per HP

Was only equating the cost of 1 damage to the cost of one HP, not on a ship that can take it. Since the AP is regarded as the most efficient ship in the game I used it as my baseline.

I think the OGP Shuttle is the cheapest health per point you can get in the game and it comes in at 2.1 points per health. If you use Crackshot to squeak a point of damage through on a guy like Soontir, The one point you spent on Crackshot cost your opponent 12. 

Need dislike button. Seriously?

I can see the logic in using it on a Tie Swarm or on M3-As. Fragile weak little ships get a minor boost for 'that' action round when they can make a difference.

All the examples of play based around these one shot cards are built on the highest of expectations, and maximum damage or effect. When in reality the dice do not care and it is just as probable to roll three blanks with your Tie in range 1 on the round you pop Crackshot as any other round.

As I said, one shots give a minor boost that equates to a good round of dice rolling at the expense of losing 1 squad point per upgrade that could have been spent more effectively.

My opinion. Don't expect to see one shots in my lists...and they will still take down your lists...or not...depending on the whims of the dice...

Let us assume you are bidding all the way up from 12pts to get a Black Squadron pilot with crackshot at 15. Let us say you have 4 of them. 12pts total. Let us also assume that your opponent has ANY agility 2 small ship at range 2 of them. You roll perfectly. They roll perfectly. Repeat 4 times. They still take 4 damage.

Remove the dice from the game and crackshot still works. Do the same with an Aggressor at range 1 and the result is the same. 4 damage. That's about 25pts worth of damage. You blank out, they still have to roll, if they blan out you still do 1! And, most likely you're only really bidding up 8pts (from obsidians to CrackBlacks).

I'm not a huge fan of discardables but this one is done right.

But you decide whether or not to use Crackshot /after/ your opponent rolls and modifies defense dice, so you won't spend Crackshot when you blank.

One good turn does make a difference. In one of my games crackshots made the difference between wedge with 1 lost shield and dead wedge. If you do get good dice rolls, great! You get to use crackshot later. It doesn't give you consistency throughout the match, it gives you consistency early on which is huge.

You need to have at least PS3 to use crackshot so after spending it you still have a PS advantage over low generics or you killed the ace who can no longer hunt you down. Either way, the opponent will have a hard time making up for the early loss.

Edited by Xmage

Funny I actually used Guri with Crackshot, FCS and auto.  Didn't end up even using crackshot.  My 2 Ys with TLT and a Z chipped in for enough damage to take the wins.  Like, there was really no reason to.  Some random 1 hit going through, meh. 

How fortunate you are to always roll more hits than you need in order to kill ships :P . On numerous occasions I've left enemy ships at 1 hull because my opponent managed to get a perfect evade roll or I whiffed on the kill shot and crackshot would have made a world of difference.

Oh I know.  The funny thing was.  Guri is the highest PS there is on that team, so she never went for the kill shot... =/  So, I didn't really opt to use crackshot ever.  

Also, TLT Ys.  LOL.  Bye bye enemy squad.  

And hero Z.  Survived with 1 hull =)

But you decide whether or not to use Crackshot /after/ your opponent rolls and modifies defense dice, so you won't spend Crackshot when you blank.

Missed that. I stopped reading the card after the word discard appeared on it.

To me it would be a one off buff to the dice when presented in a game. No different to them rolling one extra hit. The satisfaction is knowing that it is now used and gone while my upgrades are continuing to perform their role turn after turn.

As someone whose played a crack shot swarm quite a bit, it's about accelerating that snowball effect. 5 additional damage over the course of a round or two is devastating and has been the difference for me taking out a regenerating Poe, regenerating Miranda, Soontir Etc...as opposed to letting them get away,

Regarding the crackshot HLC Syck....I really want it to work, but I think I prefer the Glitterstim, Crack Shot Black Sun to that.

Edited by AlexW

To me it would be a one off buff to the dice when presented in a game. No different to them rolling one extra hit. The satisfaction is knowing that it is now used and gone while my upgrades are continuing to perform their role turn after turn.

The difference likely is that if you are flying against it, your upgrades are doing nothing as your ship is now dead. 3-5 extra damage over 2 turns is pretty much any small base ship in the game dead (or Ys or Bs dead because you lay easy damage on them AND extra crackshot damage since they have no evade). Early damage is better than maybe never damage.

I take it you never use ordinance or glitterstim either then.

If you just ignore upgrades because they have the word discard on them then you're playing suboptimally.

I use Stealth Device becuase it often lasts much longer than expected.

Ordinance is a waste of cardboard.

Don't have Glitterstim, or Crackshot for that matter, not having any expansions past wave 5. Lightning reflexes is another throw away ept I don't have or need.

My opinion, remember.

So far I have read no convincing argument for the cards that countenance the loss of squad building points they cost.

It would be interesting if the mathwing people did a comparitive breakdown of Crackshot, Glitterstim and non disposable upgrades like Outmaneuver and Predator. I don't need to see the numbers to know the permanent upgrades will leave the throw aways well behind over the course of a match.

I use Stealth Device becuase it often lasts much longer than expected.

Ordinance is a waste of cardboard.

Don't have Glitterstim, or Crackshot for that matter, not having any expansions past wave 5. Lightning reflexes is another throw away ept I don't have or need.

My opinion, remember.

So far I have read no convincing argument for the cards that countenance the loss of squad building points they cost.

It would be interesting if the mathwing people did a comparitive breakdown of Crackshot, Glitterstim and non disposable upgrades like Outmaneuver and Predator. I don't need to see the numbers to know the permanent upgrades will leave the throw aways well behind over the course of a match.

Except thts the difference in the argument upgrades like predator ate efficient over the course of 5-6 rounds of play in one round crackshot is better, and like others have said in a swarm or the right time Crackshot can be worth 25pts predator while one of my favourite upgrades cud still blank everytime you use it.