Sign in to follow this  
stmack

Worlds Lists

Hi guys, so I tried to get the remainder of these lists in other threads but it was slightly off topic so thought I'd try making a dedicated thread here. Here's what I've got so far:

Final Results - Top 8:

1st - Jonathan Reinig

• CR-90 B + Garm Bel Iblis
  • 2x Assault Frigate B
  • 8x A-Wing Squadrons

2nd - Francois Fressin

??

3rd - Dustin Foran

• Victory Class I + Admiral Screed + Assault Concussion
  • 3x Gladiator Class I + Assault Concussion

4th - Francisco Berna Menendez

• Victory Class I + Admiral Screed;
  • Gladiator Class I + Demolisher + Assault Concussion
  • 2x Gladiator Class I + Assault Concussion

5th - Pat Doyle

??

6th - Royal Tippetts

• Victory Class I + Admiral Screed + Weapons Liaison + Assault Concussion Missiles + H9 Turbolasers
  • Victory Class I + Assault Concussion Missiles + H9 Turbolasers
  • Gladiator Class I + Engine Techs + Assault Concussion Missiles + Demolisher

7th - Daniel Hars

?? (something like two frigates, a corvette, and a few A-wings)

8th - Gerry Russell

• Gladiator Class I + Admiral Screed + Assault Concussion
  • Gladiator Class I + Demolisher + Assault Concussion
  • 2x Gladiator Class I + Assault Concussion

Anyone have anything else to add?

Edited by stmack

I was very happy to see a squadron-heavy fleet win Worlds, but judging by the composition of the top 8 the death of the capital-ship fleet may have been announced prematurely :D

I agree with you but have a single caveat. Without knowing what the composition of all lists in the tournament, it's hard to know if these guys are here because they brought no squad lists, or are here because MOST everyone brought no-squad lists and there were few squad lists available to "randomly" make it to the final 8.

My takeaway is that even in a meta of all-ship lists, it's possible to do well. Hence, if you build a solid list with squadrons and play it well, you can win worlds. This hopefully gives permission to all those people bound by the meta to open up and play more squadrons.

Edited by Tranenturm

Most lists had no squadrons.  Gerry (8th) and I teched against a meta with more Rhymer balls and things like Jonathon ended up bringing.  Was honestly surprised to see so much VGG and VVG and not more Rebels.  

Edited by felforlife

Well, if you listen to what the world champ had to say, he said the meta is very polarizing in terms of what you will see for squadrons in lists.  The person with a bomber-heavy list will be at an advantage of the person who brought no fighters, the person who brought no fighters will be at an advantage of the person who brought some, and the person who brought more fighters will be at the advantage of the person who brought a little.

This is a points game, a little more so than traditional X-Wing, so you have to approach it from a list-building perspective almost akin to 40K-type strategy games.

If your list brings let's say, 85 points of anti-squadron firepower (blue dice heavy), but the other person brings none, you will almost be at a 85 point deficit depending on what kind of fighters you have.  Interceptors are great against other squadrons, but are pretty poor vs capital ships.  In 40K, it would be like bringing lascannons to fight against no tanks a lot of cheap fodder infantry.  At that point, you're not getting a good return.

Armada's meta feels the same way right now:  You either commit to squadrons and set aside X amount of points expecting to get a return, or accept the fact that you're better off with no squadrons and hope to draw the people who took Interceptors over the people who went bomber-heavy.

2nd place had 2 Vic 1s, one with screed. and 2 Glad 1s with Insidious and Demolisher.

I believe 5th had 2 Assault frigates both with Enhanced Armament and Advanced Projectors, as well as 1 CR90a with Jaina's Light and Garm. 3 A-wings were in the list as well. I'm missing a few parts of the list, He may have had Paragon and an A and B version of the frigates, but I don't remember exactly. He did have a rather large initiative bid though.

So, in conclusion:  lots of Vics 'n Glads, lots of black dice. Not so different from that GenCon thing.

On rebel ship of note, the AF, with the odd CR90 as filler. No love for the Neb, none at all.

Only fighter in the Top 8 was the A-wing, and only one list was squad-heavy. Or put differently: mostly ship-heavy or ship-only.

I wouldn't quite say that this was the tournament where fighters had their breakthrough.

I wouldn't quite say that this was the tournament where fighters had their breakthrough.

You are entitled to your Conclusion, as I am entitled to mine - especially since our variable definition is different :)

Thank you Sir!

I would go as far as to say that A-wing spam got its breakthrough :)

I really hope with wave 2 we'll see a HUGE surge in squadron use, but I'm not entirely convinced before I've crushed a few opponents with my squads!

So, in conclusion:  lots of Vics 'n Glads, lots of black dice. Not so different from that GenCon thing.

To be fair you just listed every single Imperial ship out right now. We can't be too surprised that there are lots of black dice, when 50% of all Imperial ships really almost exclusively on black dice.

To be fair you just listed every single Imperial ship out right now. We can't be too surprised that there are lots of black dice, when 50% of all Imperial ships really almost exclusively on black dice.

I did not mention the Vic-II, since it has no black dice. I also meant Glad-I, but was too lazy to type it out :-)

Hi,

I'm Pat Doyle, and came in 5th. Here is my list to fill in the blank on the first post:

I' m curious about the top 16 lists.

#5 Pat Doyle ( My List)

Cost 291

AFIIB

• Paragon

• Enhanced Armaments

• Advanced Projectors

• Weapons Liaison

AFIIB

• Enhanced Armaments

• Advanced Projectors

• Weapons Liaison

CR90

• Jaina’s Light

• Garm Bel Iblis

Fighter Support

• 3 A-Wing Squadrons

OBJECTIVES:

Most Wanted, played 3 times, won all of them.

Fire Lanes: Not played.

Dangerous Territory: First and last games. Lost first game.

I am working on an AAR for my games and will post when I can. I played 5 games. Lost to a rebel list in the first game (1-9), then won the other 4 games against the Empire scoring 35 points with a 612 margin of victory.

Also, there was a 600 Pt team tournament at worlds as well. I played in that as well. To my shock, we won that tournament. It had 9 teams, so it was much smaller than the main tournament. Each player chose 300 points and had their own Commander. As a team you chose an objective and used the combined point total to determine initiative. Your commander only affected the individuals forces. Exception to that was Dadonna since his ability causes adjusts all criticals to be adjusted, not just those caused by his ships. Also, for deployment, since there were so many ships, you could set up out to the right and left edges of the map.

Worlds was run very well by their staff and lots of fun. I highly recommend it. I am sure the world championship will be even larger for Armada next year.

Oh, Our list was...

3 GSD...299 pts

1. Screed

2. Demolished, ACM, Engine Techs

3. Insidious, ACM, Intel Officer, Engine Techs

4. Howlrunner and 4 TIE Int

X2 VSD, 300 Pts

1. Tarkin, X17, Intel Officer

2. Admiral Chiraneau, Expanded Hangar Bays, X17

3. Mauler, Major R, 3 Bombers

Most Wanted, Dangerous Territory, Hyperspace Assault (?, only the 1st two got played)

Game 1: Draw. We played a rebel force, no fighters, 3 guppies and 6 CR90As. Another turn and stuff would have started dying. Guppies all had x17s and Gunnery Teams, so we hit the brakes and let them fly a circle around us without them being able to get too much in range. The GSDs got in behind the gups. The Corvettes did a wide sweeping maneuver and got in behind the VSDs.

Game 2: 600 pts Victory minus our losses. Imperial force of 4 VSDs and somewhere around 15 or 16 squadrons, mostly TIES. Knocked out Mottis VSDs an last turn.

Game 3: Rebels, 2 Guppies, 3 Nebs, and tons of fighters.

Francisco's list was:

298pts

Victory I - Adm Screed

Gladiator I - Demolisher, Assault Concussion Missiles

Gladiator I - Assault Concussion Missiles

Gladiator I - Assault Concussion Missiles