Sign in to follow this  
Orcsmasher

A question about the adventure in the Beta book.

We just completed the adventure in the Beta book. We found the crystal cave and recovered Athiss crystals.

How many can be recovered? If its a large number, how many would you recommend the GM allow to be recovered?

There's no set limit in the adventure, but I'd restrict it to the number of PCs in your group that are interested in actually having lightsabers.

Kyber crystals are supposed to be fairly rare except in fairly specific locations, such as Ilum and possibly Dantooine, but even in those places they're not so numerous as to be easily farmed.  So the PCs, if they're conscious of such things, will probably want to avoid over-farming this very precious resource, and in fact only come back to it if circumstances require them to obtain a new focusing crystal (such as their old one was destroyed or they've taken apprentices of their own who are themselves ready for a lightsaber).

If any of the PCs are just looking for a fast supply of credits, the adventure does already provide a means of doing so, one that will probably attract far less attention than trying to pawn kyber crystals on the open market.

I modeled it after the Clone Wars TV show. Each acolyte had a crystal in the cave that was destined to be theirs. They could not find a single crystal until it revealed itself to them.

So in short, one crystal per PC. The others are just standard crystals, unusable for making lightsabers.

Given how many adventures seem to end with a reward being crystals, of this allegedly rare resource, I don't personally like the solution of one per PC. (Assuming you continue with pre-made adventures.) I would recommend 1-2 crystals per mission; if you're up-front with your players that eventually they'll all have access to them eventually, they might be okay with just the melee powerhouses getting theirs up and running before the negotiator or rock-flinger puts theirs together.

On the flip side of it, if you give the characters more crystals than they want/ need, giving one of the excess crystals to a nascent force-user they have come across is a great way to build stories, attachments, and perhaps eventually a villain. Your mileage may vary on such a tactic, though; some murder-hobos will just build backup lightsabers and render it moot.

Given how many adventures seem to end with a reward being crystals, of this allegedly rare resource, I don't personally like the solution of one per PC. (Assuming you continue with pre-made adventures.) I would recommend 1-2 crystals per mission; if you're up-front with your players that eventually they'll all have access to them eventually, they might be okay with just the melee powerhouses getting theirs up and running before the negotiator or rock-flinger puts theirs together.

On the flip side of it, if you give the characters more crystals than they want/ need, giving one of the excess crystals to a nascent force-user they have come across is a great way to build stories, attachments, and perhaps eventually a villain. Your mileage may vary on such a tactic, though; some murder-hobos will just build backup lightsabers and render it moot.

Or you give them all the athis crystals. then replace the later missions with other appropriate gear. Like if they chose mentor. maybe mission 2 gets you a ship. It would be nice if FFG had thought of this and provided a few options for GMs to swap with appropriate resources.