Sign in to follow this  
Glucose98

A-Wing MVP

Just because A wings worked good in worlds this time does not mean they will be as great once wave 2 comes out. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying A wings will be bad, but you will have to consider how the new scums and villains will be in comparison to them. And really, any uncontested squadron mass will greatly affect the outcome of a battle.

The reason why we're rallying about this is the core argument of the GenConSpecial, which is "Squadrons don't matter, you just have to kill the Ships to win."  -  and this was showing that Squadrons can indeed stop you from doing that.

Well, the actual argument is true. Squadrons DON'T matter, and you DO have to kill the ships to win. 

I'm really pleased that a squadron list won this one, but lets not get carried away. The game before this against another all ship list was VERY close, and all ship lists were at least half of the top 4. And the Imperial player in the final effectively lost in deployment.

To me this suggests excellent balance, and not that squadron heavy is in any way superior. And thats exactly as it should be, leaving room for everyones preferred play style.

In fact....the winning list at Worlds (or a  variant of) placed 2nd at gencon, and the winning Gencon list placed 2nd here. Thats pretty **** balanced.

Agreed, I am all for Advocating Balance.

I will admit, I was getting very tired of being told, "You're stupid for taking Squadrons, just take Ships and Wreck Face, that's all you need.  Its 300 points of Ships versus your 200pts of Ships and I'll win.", backed up by the "Evidence" of the GenCon winning game.

At least now, there is some Balance returning to the Universe.

And Anakin had nothing to do with it.

Was thinking add flight controller, x17 and maybe boosted comms. Amd for the vette add jaine light and turbo laser reroute. So it can engage at long range for a crit or two hits. Then add more fighters

Can anyone summarize what happened after Screed blew up?  I had to go do something else...

Assault Frigates tried to Zoidberg out of there.

A-Wings repositioned to where the Lead Gladiator would be.

Lead Gladiator lobbed a Broadside at one Frigate, with Crit-Hit, Crit-Hit, Hit, Blank, that was Braced down to 3, and then redirected after the ACMs for nothing but Shield Damage.

Lead Gladiator then ate Black Dice from A-Wings and Red Dice from Assault Frigates, who then Zoidberg'd out of there.

Imperials only managed to down 1 Squadron of A-Wings with Anti-Squadron Fire.

Game was called in Turn 5, when the Rebel player had 3 of the Intel Tokens + the confirmed kill of the ScreedVictory and one Gladiator.

Just because A wings worked good in worlds this time does not mean they will be as great once wave 2 comes out. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying A wings will be bad, but you will have to consider how the new scums and villains will be in comparison to them. And really, any uncontested squadron mass will greatly affect the outcome of a battle.

The reason why we're rallying about this is the core argument of the GenConSpecial, which is "Squadrons don't matter, you just have to kill the Ships to win."  -  and this was showing that Squadrons can indeed stop you from doing that.

Well, the actual argument is true. Squadrons DON'T matter, and you DO have to kill the ships to win. 

I'm really pleased that a squadron list won this one, but lets not get carried away. The game before this against another all ship list was VERY close, and all ship lists were at least half of the top 4. And the Imperial player in the final effectively lost in deployment.

To me this suggests excellent balance, and not that squadron heavy is in any way superior. And thats exactly as it should be, leaving room for everyones preferred play style.

In fact....the winning list at Worlds (or a  variant of) placed 2nd at gencon, and the winning Gencon list placed 2nd here. Thats pretty **** balanced.

I watched that match as well, I didn't feel it was as close as you suggest.  It was curious why he didn't go after the VSD sitting on the objective in the last two turns, some of his A-wings were low on health but it looked like a 10-0 sweep was quite possible.

Edited by OgRib

I watched that match as well, I didn't feel it was as close as you suggest.  It was curious why he didn't go after the VSD sitting on the objective in the last two turns, some of his A-wings were low on health but it looked like a 10-0 sweep was quite possible.

Agreed.  Previous game was not very close.  The rebel player withdrew with a lead knowing he would win, but it allowed the Imperial player to even the score a bit (+40 pts) before it ended. 

Very nice to see squadrons coming back into fashion.  I always knew this 'all ship' malarky was nonsense - most likely an excuse to not do your painting on time.

FFG must be rubbing their hands at glee to see someone who bought 4 rebel squadron packs winning worlds.

In round four he didnt go for the VSD as he didnt have the commamds in place to pull it off. And doubted the awing would of been in range of comms to do enough dmg. As the vsd had full hull and shield nearly full

This is actually not what Gencon special is about:

The player said himself, he took it to simplify the game after a long tournament, and he wasn't well versed in squadrons. 

TRying to go for the carriers is the only game plan it HAS against a mass carrier list.  And having a Cr90 that can run like that.  WOW! What great planning! 

Wel..in that list ye, but he's also got 8 x y and b whilst with the af he's got...an af(and some cards, to be fair)

Edited by Grobb

The problem lies in the A wing. Too cheap to have counter 4 hull and black dice.

Too good multipurpouse ship. Don't need any other tipe of fighter. Will be balanced with blue antiship and don't care about the missile lore nonsense when we talk about balance.

Edited by BorinBCN

The problem lies in the A wing. Too cheap to have counter 4 hull and blackdice.

Too good multipurpouse ship. Don't need any other tipe of fighter. Will be balanced with blue antiship and don't care about the missile lore nonsense when we talk about balance.

Very much disagree. All the rebel fighters (sans B) is like that, they can work on their own.

Imperial squadrons need synergy from special squadrons and upgrade cards to get out their full potential.

Then why A it's the most played fighter?. It's imbalanced becouse it works as a screen fighter better than the x and has good bomber capabilities as the black dice don't care about crits and accuracy.

The A is a hair unfair. But that being said, if you run enough vanilla T/F you can beat them through attrition.

I typically will add an X or B just to make them a bit more durable once they catch up to each other. But Rebel fighters are more multipurpose and independent running than the Imperial ones that don't shine until you add an ace or provide squadron commands.

Boosted comms is going to be such a big change.

In a scenario like this the A wings or equivalent would be more dangerous again. In the Imperial case, squadrons can be flung right out past red dice range with a squadron command - you are still going to get to command them next turn because you will be heading straight for whatever their target is anyway.