Sign in to follow this  
Rosco74

World championship or just U.S. championship ?

Usually the word "World" mean all the planet earth no ? 

I don't know if the tournament is open for peoples from all countries, but as the beginning is local regional store tournament, etc etc ... leading to the final championship I think other countries are not elligible. I think this tournament should be called United States X-Wing championship.

I know it's a U.S. game and you tend to ignore the rest of the world but that would be more reallistic. 

Usually the word "World" mean all the planet earth no ? 

I don't know if the tournament is open for peoples from all countries, but as the beginning is local regional store tournament, etc etc ... leading to the final championship I think other countries are not elligible. I think this tournament should be called United States X-Wing championship.

I know it's a U.S. game and you tend to ignore the rest of the world but that would be more reallistic. 

There were players there from Canada, UK, Australia, Poland (National champion) and the Czech Republic (national champion). 

We have store championships, Regionals and Nationals of our own here in Canada. As do other countries. 

US championship is at GenCon in the summer. 

Edited by Toqtamish

There were over 20 countries represented in the tournament. To the point that in the streamed games they actually listed the country of origin next to the player name. Of those that I remember off the top of my head hne of the streamed games featured a Swedish player and I know the Kuwaiti and Spanish national champions were in attendence.

So yeah, Worlds is an accurate moniker for the tournament.

Sorry, but that's completely incorrect. FFG has made the effort to support multiple languages (English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, and maybe more). There are regionals and nationals all across the world. Several non-US players made the cut.

And your own country's Jean-Christophe Hu was featured on the twitch stream.

I know it's a U.S. game and people assume they're ignoring the rest of the world, but that is not being realistic in anyway.

Edit: I'm not American either.

Edited by zerotc

I didn't see any of those match sorry, so I suppose only U.S. reached the last day of the championship. 

I must admit as well the requirement to be fluent in english is probably a cause for this minority.

And probably the cost of travel to reach the location of the championship

I didn't see any of those match sorry, so I suppose only U.S. reached the last day of the championship. 

I must admit as well the requirement to be fluent in english is probably a cause for this minority.

So is FFG suppose to hire a couple hundred translators to make sure they can translate the majority of the most popular languages? Give me a break.

Edited by Jo Jo

I think what he means is that the "world championship" is more like an US championship with some players from other countries. And it is like that.

Sure, because it is hosted here, by an American company(though I guess technically they're owned by a European company now?), and the US probably has the largest player base on top of all that. But it's at least a more honest name than say the World Series, and there were definitely some international players in the top 16.

I think what he means is that the "world championship" is more like an US championship with some players from other countries. And it is like that.

Exact :-)

True, but unless you're planning to host it on the International Space Station... you will always have overrepresentation from the host country.

This does bring up a good point though. Ideally, Worlds would be hosted in a different country every year. But I don't think the logistics of that are feasible or necessary.

Obvious troll is obvious

Don't think so.

Edited by zerotc

There was plenty of representation of non-USA players. However I'd be interested to see a full breakdown of the nationalities that were present. I'd wager that it must be at least 60%+ american? 

Either, way that's almost entirely to do with the location of the event, not the way FFG's OP works. 

In an ideal world, FFG World Championships would be held each year in a different country, like they do with games like MTG. But that costs A LOT more to organise and to faciliate. 

And MTG is much bigger and older game too

I know the UK national champ and Nordic national champ (who is from the UK ironically as they allow certain other countries to compete in Nordic champs) where there.

If you win a national championship they do offer to pay for your flights to Worlds I believe.

First, check the twitch archives of matches.  You'll find plenty of non-americans.  

Second, you can play this game entirely by pointing (same as Magic, which I have done extensively with a friend who's now wife used to call him ALL the time).  There is no requirement to speak, but I admit it does help speed things up.  The pictures are recognizeable to any person that has played enough to think they're going to do well at worlds.  Also, I hear the cards are printed in many different languages.  

Cost of travel?  I have also heard that some of the ational champions were sponsored with travel expenses (by their local distributors) to come compete at Worlds.  

I think the only point of contention anyone might have is that being that FFG is based in the US, it is much cheaper for people in North America to compete in this tournament than worldwide, due to travel financial restrictions.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see this game get big enough to start following in MTG's worlds precedent!

This thread is silly. You can't put a world championship in a neutral spot (Switzerland? Nah). The majority of players in the world, I would wager, are in the U.S. The company is U.S. based. Despite all those conditions there were still people from all over the world who showed up.

OP has some ethnocentrism issues.

Edited by Skargoth

Travel would set me back a minimum of €800 just for the flight. Add hotel, parking at the airport, travel between airport and hotel and hotel and venue and basic costs of living and we're easily talking €1500 for what amounts to a weekend. I should've had to buy extra days off, which would have taken a bite out of my end of year pay so over €2000 is not unrealistic.

For two days of playing X-Wing (who are we kidding, it'd have been round 1 only, but you'd have to plan for two).

Also correct me if I am wrong but didn't Francisco Berna Menendez make top 8, and isn't he from Spain or something like that?

Then there was this dude in the top 8 Przemyslaw Talach not sure his nationality.

So 2 out of 8 that is like 1 out of 4 which is 25% of the top 8.

Just sayin.