Sign in to follow this  
Hoda25

XP Distribution for both Skills and Force Powers??

Hey guys so my group doesn't meet very often anymore because of college and I just wanted opinions on this idea I have for rewarding XP.

Would it be game breaking to have two separate distributions with one being used for Skills/Talents/Talent Trees and another for Force Powers.

For example: 15 XP solely for skills and talents and 15 XP solely for Force Powers.

If we did use this for XP rewards I would gradually begin to award less XP for both Skills and Force Powers respectively once our player characters become stronger.

I understand this could really effect the game play but in our group we would find ways to counterattack this.  In our group we like to feel like our characters are improving especially since we don't meet often anymore.

I would really appreciate feedback.

I would feel limited as a player (and particularly a roleplayer) by this split.  What if I want a frail but powerful sage, or a cunning and capable survivor with little talent for the Force?  Characters with weaknesses are more interesting; failed padawans from the AgriCorps, aging masters with incredible abilities, etc.  Corran Horn has no talent for telekinesis.  Etain Tur-Mukan struggles to channel the Force at all.  Yoda hobbles around on a cane but can lift a snubfighter with ease.  You're introducing more bookkeeping while restricting player choice.

Just increase the XP total for players to spend, they can decide how best to spend it.  The game plays very well even as XP increases, I've had no scale problems whatsoever at 350 and a friend ran a solid one-shot at 500; I'm sure others here have gone much higher.

I've been thinking about that issue. In F&D there are so many talents and skills that I want to increase that I feel force powers get put on the back burner and I may never pick up things like move and sense.

My suggestion to help with that would be to give out the normal amount of general XP (10-25), then give out more just for force powers. Say half of what the normal reward is. So a good session getting a lot done might earn 20-25xp with 10 bonus.

Also you could explain a big chunk of xp gain with a sort of training montage. Done with a major plot point and have some down time? Have 50xp as you spend a month training, sparing, and getting better.

If your entire party consists of force-users, then this should be fine (though I'd simply hand out more XP per session and save myself the extra bookkeeping). Otherwise, it'd be a firm "No" from me, especially if I had the PC without Force sensitivity.

In general I'm not in favor of handing out separate xp like this. The game was mostly balanced on the concept that xp would be split between 3 facets as opposed to 2. As such I view it as a bad way to screw with the internal game balance to have xp for everything else and xp just for Force powers. It may not be so bad in an all Force user game but I think you will see very big gaps in power if you incorporate non Force users into such a game. 

As others have said, if you want your PCs to grow in ability faster, simply hand out more XP than what the book suggests as the default.  Heck, the guy that created the system, Jay Little, even advocates using a different XP progression, favoring an XP award system of 5 XP for each hour of actual play.

I personally use a base 5 XP for showing up, +5 XP per each hour of actual play (and do my best to keep side tangents as short as possible), and an extra 5 XP for good role-playing or playing towards the character's Motivation or Emotional Strength/Weakness.  With an average session of about 3 hours, that often comes out to 25 to 30 XP per session, and after only 6 sessions my entire group are at Knight Level in terms of XP totals.