Sign in to follow this  
alphastryke

New Player asking some questions

So I recently got Force & Destiny; it's a big book and I am barely started reading through it. I have skimmed the interesting sections like character creation and force powers, and I have some questions:

-What kind of a Jedi can I make using these rules? Can I make a Jedi like Obi Wan from Phantom Menace (aka Padawan Obi Wan) or a Jedi Master like Qui Gon? If so, how would I mimic the Force Push power they use in those movies, where they smash multiple battle droids around using the force with just one thrust of the palm? Star Wars Saga Edition had the power Force Slam to mimic this, how does F&D handle it?

-How does the game mimic the jumping and flipping around the Jedi do, especially during Lightsaber combat? I guess it can be roleplayed, but the is there any specific power/talent to do that also grants a mechanical advantage to doing it? Because if this is handled via roleplay otherwise what's to stop the bountyhunter or smuggler from also flipping around. Note that I know the Enhance Force power can do this outside of combat, but I mean inside of combat, especially during lightsaber combat.

-If I want to play a padawan like Obi Wan circa TPM, should I start off at Knight level play, aka 150 bonus xp as per the F&D rulebook? Would that be enought to mimic Obi Wan from that era?

-I am guessing Dark Side powers will be revealed in a Sith supplement or something. But is there any way to mimic Sith Lightning (Force Lightning) using F&D rules? If so, is it more effective than a blaster?

Thanks a lot for the help guys'n'gals. More questions as they come! :)

-What kind of a Jedi can I make using these rules? Can I make a Jedi like Obi Wan from Phantom Menace (aka Padawan Obi Wan) or a Jedi Master like Qui Gon? If so, how would I mimic the Force Push power they use in those movies, where they smash multiple battle droids around using the force with just one thrust of the palm? Star Wars Saga Edition had the power Force Slam to mimic this, how does F&D handle it?

-How does the game mimic the jumping and flipping around the Jedi do, especially during Lightsaber combat? I guess it can be roleplayed, but the is there any specific power/talent to do that also grants a mechanical advantage to doing it? Because if this is handled via roleplay otherwise what's to stop the bountyhunter or smuggler from also flipping around. Note that I know the Enhance Force power can do this outside of combat, but I mean inside of combat, especially during lightsaber combat.

-If I want to play a padawan like Obi Wan circa TPM, should I start off at Knight level play, aka 150 bonus xp as per the F&D rulebook? Would that be enought to mimic Obi Wan from that era?

-I am guessing Dark Side powers will be revealed in a Sith supplement or something. But is there any way to mimic Sith Lightning (Force Lightning) using F&D rules? If so, is it more effective than a blaster?

Thanks a lot for the help guys'n'gals. More questions as they come!

As a starting character, jedi are more like New Hope Obi Wan- Arthritic old men with a few mystical tricks. you can do this by completely neglecting to boost your stats at character creation, freeing up 100XP or so for force related stuff. Play up your mystery, so that when you spend XP on a new ability, you "knew it all along."

At Knight level play, you start to approach Phantom menace level jedi- flashy and powerful, but still clueless and naive. Keep in mind you dont need a dozen ranks in reflect and FR5 to be "A jedi"- its enough to have FR2 and reconize that what Light Paragon actually gives is a consiquence free darkpip flip, to make powers more reliable.

Force Slam is a Control upgrade on the Move power- this is for both the single target throw power and, with a Magnatude activation, the multitarget version. Also battledroids are Minion Groups- that is, you can target multiple droids even with a single target power. Stormtroopers are the same way.

Jumping and flipping around is more a hallmark of the Ataru lightsaber style, with it's multiple ranks of Dodge, where you spend strain to be harder to hit. Cad Bane from the clone wars series also probably a has a lot of dodge, but from a different tree- it's less physics defying, but still just as effective.

Knight level play can build a padawon if you're CAREFUL. Waste points on the "cool" abilities, and there will be core powers you miss. In general, I say that a new Jedi Knight or older padawon shold have FR2, a rank of reflect (which generally requires a separate saber tree), 1 point in Lore and Discipline, and the basic powers for Move, Influence, Enhance, and Sence. (remember your mentor discount!) Spend the rest of your XP to taste, and you'll have plenty of room to grow into the character as the campain goes through attack of the clones, th clone wars series, and finally revenge of the Sith.

Speaking of force lightning, it's part of a power called Protect/Unleash. Force lightning vs a blaster is a case of the quadratic wizard being a really late bloomer- you need 4-5 force dice to beat out a kitted out bounty hunter's favorite gun.

Edited by Rakaydos

Basically you need to spend a heck of a lot of XP in talent trees and Force power trees to make a character like a fully trained Jedi. A new character starting from scratch would take dozens and dozens of sessions to get to that point. You might want to consider why you want to play a character so powerful from the outset, but if you do, make your GM is ready to throw enough challenge at you. It would be like making a D&D character starting at level 20.

What dark side powers are you thinking of? Most things are covered in the Force powers section.

Unleash - Force lightning - isn't as amazing as you might think. A big gun deals more direct damage. If you think about what the Emperor did in RotJ, it took many blasts to take Luke down.

The great thing about Unleash is that it, with upgrades, can affect multiple targets, immobilise them (ensnare), give them on-going damage (burn).

Edited by Chimpy

I found in my experience the best way to feel like you're playing a Jedi is through flavor text: Rather than spending your maneuver to draw your lightsaber, you spend your maneuver to call your lightsaber to your hand, using only the force. It's just flavor text.

More importantly the best way to feel like a Jedi is roleplay as a Jedi would act. Know the code. Be wise, but passive. Remember, a Jedi uses his abilities for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

After that, it hardly matters to me what specialization or career a I choose.

I found in my experience the best way to feel like you're playing a Jedi is through flavor text: Rather than spending your maneuver to draw your lightsaber, you spend your maneuver to call your lightsaber to your hand, using only the force. It's just flavor text.

More importantly the best way to feel like a Jedi is roleplay as a Jedi would act. Know the code. Be wise, but passive. Remember, a Jedi uses his abilities for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

After that, it hardly matters to me what specialization or career a I choose.

This. This game is all about the dice roll being in the MIDDLE of describing the action your PC is doing, not deciding if the action you describe is successful:

1. Declare the action your doing

2. Decide the Positive Dice based on your skills and any situational benefits,

3. GM gives you Negative Dice based on the task and situation.

4. ROLL

5. Tally results and declare success or failure.

6. Describe HOW you succeed or fail, use the individual dice to help "I fire of a volley of shots, the group of gangers keep ducking down behind those crates their hiding behind, but my training pays off. I finally get a shot off that hits the steam pipe behind them, driving them out of cover and giving me the clear shot I need." That's a successful roll with a triumph to hit the steam pipe and get them out of cover.

On another note the Enhance Force Power can absolutely be used during combat, and with the right upgrade it can be used twice a turn plus doing your action, it's an absolute beast of a power for a Melee/Brawl/Lightsaber character.

What's wrong with bounty hunters flipping around? Jango was pretty interesting. So were several of the bounter hunters from TCW. But that aside it really is a function of narrative description. What stops others from doing it is that they lack the ability to draw on the Force and thus naratively speaking it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to move around a field of battle like a Jedi does. You don't need a hard and fast rule to say that something doesn't logically add up. A normal character isn't going to be flipping around like a Jedi .... and that's ok to say. You don't need a rule, a mechanic, a power, a special ability to replicate Jedi combat. Just some common sense. 

Thanks a lot for the help guys'n'gals. More questions as they come!

As a starting character, jedi are more like New Hope Obi Wan- Arthritic old men with a few mystical tricks. you can do this by completely neglecting to boost your stats at character creation, freeing up 100XP or so for force related stuff. Play up your mystery, so that when you spend XP on a new ability, you "knew it all along."

At Knight level play, you start to approach Phantom menace level jedi- flashy and powerful, but still clueless and naive. Keep in mind you dont need a dozen ranks in reflect and FR5 to be "A jedi"- its enough to have FR2 and reconize that what Light Paragon actually gives is a consiquence free darkpip flip, to make powers more reliable.

Force Slam is a Control upgrade on the Move power- this is for both the single target throw power and, with a Magnatude activation, the multitarget version. Also battledroids are Minion Groups- that is, you can target multiple droids even with a single target power. Stormtroopers are the same way.

Jumping and flipping around is more a hallmark of the Ataru lightsaber style, with it's multiple ranks of Dodge, where you spend strain to be harder to hit. Cad Bane from the clone wars series also probably a has a lot of dodge, but from a different tree- it's less physics defying, but still just as effective.

Knight level play can build a padawon if you're CAREFUL. Waste points on the "cool" abilities, and there will be core powers you miss. In general, I say that a new Jedi Knight or older padawon shold have FR2, a rank of reflect (which generally requires a separate saber tree), 1 point in Lore and Discipline, and the basic powers for Move, Influence, Enhance, and Sence. (remember your mentor discount!) Spend the rest of your XP to taste, and you'll have plenty of room to grow into the character as the campain goes through attack of the clones, th clone wars series, and finally revenge of the Sith.

Speaking of force lightning, it's part of a power called Protect/Unleash. Force lightning vs a blaster is a case of the quadratic wizard being a really late bloomer- you need 4-5 force dice to beat out a kitted out bounty hunter's favorite gun.

Thanks, this was a helpful post.

Assume I am going for Obi-Wan as he was at the start of TPM, will 150xp + Human species bonus be enough? I was considering the Guardian Career + Soresu Specialization. Soresu has Reflect as well as Parry; I will aim to get Improved Reflect as soon as I can. This should be enough for me to emulate Jedi deflecting blaster fire and being competent in Lightsaber combat than the average galactic schmuck :)

For Force powers I am thinking about focusing on Move and Enhance, with a little bit of Sense. This should emulate Jedi flips, force pushes, and the mystical aspect of sensing other creatures. (By the way, is there any mechanical bonus to flipping around in combat once in a while?)

Is all the above doable with 150xp + Human bonus?

A bit about myself: I have a lot of experience with prior editions of SW, especially the Saga edition by WOTC. I also liked the D6 version by WEG, though I found the Saga edition superior mechanically, both to the WEG as well as the other d20 versions. I am an old hand at roleplaying and I understand it's easy to differentiate characters via roleplay; a Jedi can be mystical and cryptic while a Bounty Hunter can be crass and blustery. That's all good, but I also like rules to at least attempt to mimic what the character can do or should be doing. I don't want to sound like a min maxer or powergamer because I am not, but I do like rules to support what characters do.

Lastly, I get that beginning Jedi in this are supposed to represent Luke at the start of the OT. However, the Force Sensitive Exile in EoTE could do that; Luke can also be assumed to start out in some other career before hand like a Scout or Ace. I was hoping F&D would be able to cover all Jedi characters from the movies, especially Jedi from the PT. Right now it seems to be that is possible, you just need to spend more xp to start off rather than being able to do so from the get go even for padawans.

It's possible to create anyone from the movies, even Yoda or Palpatine, using these rules, it's just a matter of spending the XP. But it's best to start small and get a handle on the rules first. The subtleties of some of the talents and powers means it takes some game experience to understand them. These rules are pretty different. I'm still learning things, and I've been GMing since the D&D booklet days.

Assume I am going for Obi-Wan as he was at the start of TPM, will 150xp + Human species bonus be enough? I was considering the Guardian Career + Soresu Specialization. Soresu has Reflect as well as Parry; I will aim to get Improved Reflect as soon as I can. This should be enough for me to emulate Jedi deflecting blaster fire and being competent in Lightsaber combat than the average galactic schmuck :)

Obi-Wan is, if you want to believe Wookieepedia, supposed to have started out using Ataru, something that fits decently with his fighting style in TPM. After the death of his master there he is supposed to have moved towards the more defensive soresu. So for that character a Guardian/Ataru-striker would probably work well.

Obi-Wan is, if you want to believe Wookieepedia, supposed to have started out using Ataru, something that fits decently with his fighting style in TPM. After the death of his master there he is supposed to have moved towards the more defensive soresu. So for that character a Guardian/Ataru-striker would probably work well.
guardian/peacekeeper for the force rating, multiclassed into ataru for saber skills?

guardian/peacekeeper for the force rating, multiclassed into ataru for saber skills?

Ah, yes, that is what I meant to say. That was supposed to read: Guardian - Peacekeeper/Ataru-striker.

I would not skip characteristics in character creation. A 3 or a 4 in a stat gives so much of the basics of doing things. I would spend all characteristics and once getting xp in game focus then on force and a little bit of skills. Then after that jump into talents. 2s in all stats will limit your growth potential forever

I'm also a GM who happens to start all pcs with a bonus to characteristics of plus 2 to one stat and plus one to 3 stats since I enjoy running epic heroic games. I am currently running 1000xp characters. Also started all pcs with a Force rating of two, but with the cost of some kind of flaw they had to roleplay

Edited by Kilcannon

Obi Wan is stated right there in the F&D corebook as a Guardian. I forget the exact page number. FFG even states his specific specialization paths, saying he starts as a Soresu Defender, then moves to Peacekeeper, and then it implies he takes a non force career from EoTE. And this is one of the strongest Jedi in the movies. 

So this book is clearly meant to allow characters from all eras of play, including the prequels.

Anyhow another question: If I want to simulate Force Push, do I need to take the Strength upgrade to Move? Also, would silhouette of 0 times 10 (for control upgrade) still equal 0 mean I do 0 damage on hurl?

I tend to see knight level characters as the younglings at the moment they are chosen by a knight to became his padawan. Capable of holding a lightsaber and using some force powers but having still a lot of stuff to learn before reaching knighthood. So Obi-wan had probably more than 150 Xp Under his belt when we saw him in Phantom menace since we was ready to take the Trials.

As for jumping around: If you approach this game like you were playing saga edition, you will be disapointed. A lot of stuff is handle narratively and you wont find combat rules like flancking in this game for example.

Yes Force Lightning is in the game Under the name "Protect/Unlesh"  Depending of the Force user, it certainly can be at the same level as a blaster

Yes you would need at least one Strengh upgrade to push someone since most humanoid creature are silhouette 1.

Silhouette 0 cause 5 base damages

Edited by vilainn6

The FFG Star Wars system leans towards describing, improvisation and lateral thinking, rather than tactics and numerical bonuses.

I quite like it for that.

you can use tactics and numerical thinking. You just have to use the narrative to get there. I am flipping all around him. Spend 2 adv to give them a setback. I hit him from a strange angle spend an advantage to give the next player a boost. and so on. 

The FFG Star Wars system leans towards describing, improvisation and lateral thinking, rather than tactics and numerical bonuses.

I quite like it for that.

you can use tactics and numerical thinking. You just have to use the narrative to get there. I am flipping all around him. Spend 2 adv to give them a setback. I hit him from a strange angle spend an advantage to give the next player a boost. and so on. 

And then you got the guy who just goes, "well, I've got some advantages and a triumph  left over. add 2 blacks an an upgrade."

He gets turned into JarJar.

Because if this is handled via roleplay otherwise what's to stop the bountyhunter or smuggler from also flipping around.

Concept? My stoic, no-nonsense stand-there-and-take-it soldier wouldn't flip and jump around to save his life, even though the mechanics fully support it. 

Because if this is handled via roleplay otherwise what's to stop the bountyhunter or smuggler from also flipping around.

Concept? My stoic, no-nonsense stand-there-and-take-it soldier wouldn't flip and jump around to save his life, even though the mechanics fully support it. 

While the smuggler hauls arse for the nearest cover to avoid getting filled with holes while also hoping the flipping-about Jedi and stoic stand-there-and-take soldier draw the majority of the incoming blaster fire ;):lol: