Sign in to follow this  
Jamaican Lumberjack

Leia Luke combo list with R2

Looking to get into imperial assault sometime soon. Want to pick up the core set plus 1-2 expansions to build a list. The list I brainstormed up involves the core, r2-d2 c3p0, and princess leia. I am aware that Fenn signis is probably not the best in this list as there are no troopers for him to aid.

Luke Skywalker 10

Leia Organa 8

Fenn Signis 9

Mak Eshka’rey 3

Gideon Argus 3

C-3P0 2

R2-D2 3

Rebel High Command 2

Command Cards

Son of Skywalker 3

Devotion 0

There is Another 0

Single Purpose 1

Etiquette and Protocol 2

Terminal Network 2

Hard to hit 0

Knowledge and Defense 2

Take cover 0

Planning 0

Take it Down 3

Basic idea is to burn through command cards real fast with R2, Terminal Network and rebel high command. Leia can then hypothetically put the list in a place where it is recycling son of skywalker every turn. The command deck is mostly built around drawing cards and keeping my combo pieces alive. Thoughts? Suggestions that dont involve a complete list overhaul or a ton of purchases?

The basic idea of dominating by Command Cards is good.

Basic idea is to burn through command cards real fast with R2, Terminal Network and rebel high command. Leia can then hypothetically put the list in a place where it is recycling son of skywalker every turn.

It will take at least 3 turns to accomplish that. In many cases, the game is decided before that.

Your Command deck is not good. It is to defensive and to focused on burning cards (Devotion, Planning).

You have too many supporting figures and not enough offensive figures to support.

Luke doesn't win games on his own. He is there to give an attack die reroll to those, who win games (Elite Saboteurs).

Leia is not even released yet. If you want to start playing this year, make a list without her.

Fenn Signis and Mak Eshka’rey are not good enough, especially in this combination. Replace them with Saboteurs.

If you want to play Rebels, buy (at least) two units of Saboteurs. They love the Focus from C-3PO and Gideon and they love Luke's reroll. This is what C-3PO, Gideon and Luke are there for.

Elite Saboteurs, just to say that again.

Edited by DerBaer

The parameters you gave just don't work, e.g.:

Looking to get into imperial assault sometime soon. [...] The list I brainstormed up involves [...] princess leia.

That doesn't work: Leia is not even released yet. If you want to start playing this year, make a list without her.

Edited by DerBaer

No matter how to flip it, Mak is a weak figure and most likely going to be squashed under a boot, his special header of "Spy" isn't really meshing well with your list either. I would also state, but this is an subjective experience, that R2D2 is a very slow figure and I have often had enemies waiting at Terminals by the time the little droid makes his way anywhere near them. So, I would venture to say that you will probably need Gideon to give R2 the extra movement points and then have an armed guard with the little droid in order to get him to a terminal in one piece. 

Possibly remove Mak and C3P0 to get a Rebel trooper in there. You'll lose a focus but with Gideon present I'm not too worried.

This will up your offensive output and mesh well with Fenn. I do find it interesting that you want to burn through your CCss and have to tools to do that if everything goes well, however, I don't think your Command deck is very strong. I will agree with Derbear that it needs more cards like "Take it Down" or "Reinforcement" something that will bring your team's offensive strength up when it's crutching mostly on 3 figures currently. (Mak and Gideon don't count as offensive pieces in most lists)

@Cheap Creep : Sorry if I missinterpret you here, but it has been a problem too often: To the limit does not help you get anywhere faster. If you buy movement points, you didn't use a special action so you cant trigger to the limit and if you use a special action from a command card you don't want to use to the limit to buy movement points because you will be stunned before you can spend those points. 

You have too many supporting figures and not enough offensive figures to support.

This sums it up. If I'm looking at that list from across the table, I'm guessing I'll just rush you with Royal Guards. Keep Luke and Fenn stunned until they are dead, pretty much don't worry about the rest. You do have lots of actions, but only two real figures that the opposition has to worry about. Well, Leia when she's released I guess, but 8 health on a white die doesn't last very long.

9 points for a 3 die attack (If I'm looking at the right Leia card) is pretty good, but again, squishy. I might replace her with Elite Troopers in order to get some synergy out of Fenn and give you some, albiet squishy, blockers to protect your good figures. Keeping Leia in for the Command Card plan though, I don't have any other recommendations other than to say that the best way to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of a list is to play it. The problem I would fear for you though is that playing with a non-released card, you're going to find other people playing wonky lists against you... and then when Leia is released you may take it to a tournament and find there's not really an answer to the 4x4.

A straight Troopers list will also take down your heroes pretty fast I think (though that's rarely played), and if a 4x4 rushed you I think you'll be down half your heroes by the end of turn 2. Luke is often my number one target, Son of Skywalker doesn't work very well if he's off the board already.

I do think this list does well against big figure lists, those running Vader, Weiss, RGC, or even the Hero Ball are going to go down from your three die attacks. Maybe.

Let us know though! We appreciate unconventional thinking like this but are interested in how it did, whether that be bad or good.

Actually, I think Leia will rock in a list very similar to your's. Keep her in. Just Fenn Signis and Mak Eshka’rey are not good enough, especially in this combination. Replace them with Saboteurs.

I'm already in a try-out phase for Leia:

Rebel High Command 2

Luke Skywalker 10

Leia Organa 8

Gideon Argus 3

C-3P0 2

R2-D2 3

Elite Saboteurs 7

Elite Saboteurs 7

This would be perfect. But this list is 42 points, and no matter which element you remove, it hurts the overall concept (Blast with Focus and Reroll + Command Card domination).

Actually, I think Leia will rock in a list very similar to your's. Keep her in. Just Fenn Signis and Mak Eshka’rey are not good enough, especially in this combination. Replace them with Saboteurs.

I'm already in a try-out phase for Leia:

Rebel High Command 2

Luke Skywalker 10

Leia Organa 8

Gideon Argus 3

C-3P0 2

R2-D2 3

Elite Saboteurs 7

Elite Saboteurs 7

This would be perfect. But this list is 42 points, and no matter which element you remove, it hurts the overall concept (Blast with Focus and Reroll + Command Card domination).

My thought would be to drop R2.  Then add Rebel High Command to bring you to 40pts.  That's a pretty solid squad.

I appreciate the input. I probably wont be able to try this out for a while as I dont have much time with school right now so I wont pick up the game for at least a month. This is why I included leia as she will probably be out by the time I have time to actually play the game. possibly not with FFG's punctuality :P 

As for the suggestions here, I like both the replacing mak and c3po with troopers and the mak and fenn with sabs list. Would one elite sab and one normal sab work for that list?

Also, Leia is more than just one 3 dice attack, she is a 3 dice attack plus the best attack you have within 3 spaces of her.

Would one elite sab and one normal sab work for that list?

The Elites are way better than the Regulars, but yes, that would work. Most likely, I will try that myself.

Also, Leia is more than just one 3 dice attack, she is a 3 dice attack plus the best attack you have within 3 spaces of her.

Yes, she is! Luke is great here, especially if you need the Recover, Elite Saboteurs are also very good for this.

Edited by DerBaer

As we have an official ruling for R2-D2 now (https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/192330-terminal-network/), this following is not correct:

R2-D2 wins games. E.G., a Terminal Network at the right time wins Data Heist.

R2-D2 is still good, but not worth more than 2 points anymore.

Furthermore, with https://www.fantasyf...rebel-diplomat/ I think On a Diplomatic Mission will be an auto-include for Gideon.

Considering this, maybe this list will be the best:

Rebel High Command 2

Luke Skywalker 10

Leia Organa 8

C-3PO 2

Gideon Argus 3

+ On a Diplomatic Mission 1

Elite Saboteurs 7

Elite Saboteurs 7

Maybe, Hoth will include a hero, that will shake things up a little more. E.g., the Mon Calamari Command Card Coordinated Attack will go well with Leia's abilities, as does Gideon's Take it down. So let's see what happens. But at the moment, I think it's the list above that will shake the meta up.

Edited by DerBaer

Command Cards

Son of Skywalker

This is one of the best cards in this game. Leia is good because of her Military Efficiency, Military Efficiency is great because of Son of Skywalker.. Always include this card, when you include Luke and Leia.

Take it Down

My idea was: Gideon uses Take it Down on Leia, Leia shoots, Leia brings back Take it Down. This doesn't work, because Command Cards are discarded after their effects are resolved. Therefore, Leia brings back a card before Take it Down is discarded.

But this should work: Gideon uses Take it Down on Leia, Leia shoots, Leia brings back Son of Skywalker. Leia activates, shoots, Leia brings back Take it Down.

(The same would work with Loku and his personal Command Card. He might be OK because of this ...)

More to come

Edited by DerBaer

R2-D2 wins games. E.G., a Terminal Network at the right time wins Data Heist.

I thought Paul Winchester clarified that Terminal Network does not interact with the Data Heist terminal mission rules?

(Edited a bit for clarity/readability)

I sent in a question regarding R2-D2 and Terminal Network especially with the combo of Leia and High Command in mind. Here's a transcript of the correspondence:

Rules Question:

Hi there. Just played the "Blood on the Snow" free-for-all 4 player Skirmish map and this issue came up: The mission card says: "End of round: Each player earns 5 VP's for each terminal he controls in an opponent's deployment zone"

R2-D2 has a command card "Terminal Network" that, when played while R2-D2 is adjacent to a terminal,gives the player control of all terminals on the map, regardless of any other adjacent figures at the terminals.

The "Return to Hoth" Rulebook page 7 first section says "Special Rules: When a card effect targets your opponent (....) you must choose one available opponent.

Does this mean:

A) The player controlling R2-D2 will gain/earn a total of 15 points if there's still 4 players in the game?? (And 10 if 2 player has been eliminated, and 5 if only 2 players remain?)

or

B) Does the rule from the "Return to Hoth" prevent A from happening and the player must choose one of the available opponent and will only earn 5 VP's from R2-D2/"Terminal Network " and of course 5 VP's from other "hostile" Terminals this player's figures might control??

Thx. Sincerely Nikolaj

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Pauls answer:

Hi Nikolaj,

Your scenario A is correct.

Thanks!

Paul Winchester

Game Developer

Fantasy Flight Games

pwinchester@fantasyflightgames.com

My answer:

Wauw!!

Thx for the response. Not exactly what I was hoping/thinking it would be since it (IMO) will likely mean that Rebels with R2-D2 and Leia will likely be a standard list in that scenario. Just a bit sad...

http://youtu.be/TVSw1lqxpig

So IMO this combo is bordering broken.

Edited by Forensicus