Sign in to follow this  
Jamaican Lumberjack

Tokens in Core set

Random noob question coming from an x-wing player who is considering picking up imperial assault as well. I noticed that in the core set it comes with tokens that are placeholders for some models that are in their own expansion packs. Are these tokens legal for tournament play or is it necessary to purchase the expansions?

However I think you'll find that for simple play at your local store, people probably won't care either way. Some people use the old WotC SWM minis as proxies for some of the pieces...at least those come pre-painted.

And you're always free to use whatever you like in your home games or campaign play.

It's probably only for the big events (Regiobals, Nationals, etc) that you'll really need to worry about having the correct minis.

I would play it safe and have the official minis for any tournament. Wouldn't want to show up with proxies and then be told half your list is illegal. Especially Store championships and up. 

Any official tournament.

Those same "official tournament" rules apply to maps, and I know there are a lot of stores that have no problem with people bringing and using pre-printed maps.  Heck, at our Regional last May all of our games were on pre-printed maps...the store had had a bunch of maps made for the event.  

So if many/most stores are okay with pre-printed maps, then I'm not sure why they'd have a problem with cardboard tokens or proxied minis.

Those same "official tournament" rules apply to maps, and I know there are a lot of stores that have no problem with people bringing and using pre-printed maps.  Heck, at our Regional last May all of our games were on pre-printed maps...the store had had a bunch of maps made for the event.  

So if many/most stores are okay with pre-printed maps, then I'm not sure why they'd have a problem with cardboard tokens or proxied minis.

odd, we used the tiles at ours. To each their own I guess. 

odd, we used the tiles at ours. To each their own I guess. 

Yeah, I expect that some stores are more strict than others, at least when it comes to non-big events (ie, championship, regional, etc).  I've just heard of a lot of different people/stores talking about how they use the pre-printed maps.  I don't even have a local gaming store that plays IA, sadly...and so I can't really speak from experience, except from the Regional that I went to.