Sign in to follow this  
0beron

The_Warlock: Review of the entire game

I saw your review on the Boardgame site and would have to say, how impressed I was to read it.  Clearly you are a man who loves this game.  Very coherent and rich in detail; much like you described parts and aspects of Talisman.

Very good, sir!

I think it is important for us to comment and discuss what The_Warlock said in regards to Harbinger most likely signaling the end of future expansions (less a new realm that bridges Wood and High/lands, of course).

I would like to think that T_W is right in one sense, but perhaps FFG could explore the market for A Master Talisman expansion that is predicated or designed to use most or all of the expansions, possibly expanding on previous ones  - like more new Terrain cards, or more new Lunar or even Solar events - as an example.

Ideas I would consider for Master sets would be other upgrades to characters like being able to become a doctor, a healer, a wise-man/woman, etc. which would be Craft related, some minimum additional points and maybe tieing it in to Light-side fate/destiny somehow.  The converse, Strength, Dark-balanced with Mercenary, Agent or soldier/military?

A new type of NPC; Squires.  They have carrying options for weapons/related. Automatic water bottle or new trinkets that are healing related, since squires wouldn't be magical perse. Maybe the handling of your armoury and any combat related objects, etc. gives you 1 extra Fate with a Squire?

I still would like to see a new type of Rune gate, that is unlimted, though perhaps with some caveats or restraints.  In a Master game, with all corners, there would be 5, which would be randomly placed by players at the beginning of the game. A player selects a space in any region except the Inner. These gates are permanent and can teleport a player between other Master Rune gates *and* also any other Rune gate card or Runes space.

Maybe Death and/or Evil takes a holiday and a new feature allows a person to become an Undead, a Death's Assistant, The Sorceror's Assistant, etc. Such a person becomes more powerful in certain respects but there could be different scenarios that involve defeating it, to win the game bypassing the COC stuff that may be going on, or some reward or option.

A master Talisman set would be great to tie the whole game together, streamline it and buff/balance some things. Like I said, anything that generates interest to buy more expansions only helps line their pockets and generate profits so new expansions can be released.

First of all, thanks everybody for reading the post on BGG and for your appreciation. It took quite a long time to write it, especially during my busy year 2015. I can't tell how many times I got back to the review and was then forced to abandon it. I started writing it last December, after the Woodland, but before polishing it enough for publication not less than 2 expansions were added, so I had to integrate them in the review.

Ideas I would consider for Master sets would be other upgrades to characters like being able to become a doctor, a healer, a wise-man/woman, etc. which would be Craft related, some minimum additional points and maybe tieing it in to Light-side fate/destiny somehow.  The converse, Strength, Dark-balanced with Mercenary, Agent or soldier/military?

A new type of NPC; Squires.  They have carrying options for weapons/related. Automatic water bottle or new trinkets that are healing related, since squires wouldn't be magical perse. Maybe the handling of your armoury and any combat related objects, etc. gives you 1 extra Fate with a Squire?

I still would like to see a new type of Rune gate, that is unlimted, though perhaps with some caveats or restraints.  In a Master game, with all corners, there would be 5, which would be randomly placed by players at the beginning of the game. A player selects a space in any region except the Inner. These gates are permanent and can teleport a player between other Master Rune gates *and* also any other Rune gate card or Runes space.

Maybe Death and/or Evil takes a holiday and a new feature allows a person to become an Undead, a Death's Assistant, The Sorceror's Assistant, etc. Such a person becomes more powerful in certain respects but there could be different scenarios that involve defeating it, to win the game bypassing the COC stuff that may be going on, or some reward or option.

I would be definitely interested in a "master expansion" for Talisman. I'm not sure if I would want to see additional mechanics for characters, somehow reimplementing old City "Master characters". 0beron ideas for Squires are ok, but as I said I think character management gives already a lot of options. Talisman characters have always been made of quantity, not quality, and managing a character with a huge and random inventory is more challenging than managing characters with less and more synergic abilities, like e.g. Heroes from Descent 2nd Edition.

Nice idea to have permanent Rune gates on the board at the beginning of the game, thus helping to connect points far away on the board. I just think they should have some requirements to be used, e.g. a certain Craft attribute.

As I said in the past, my idea for a master expansion à la Miskatonic Horror is as follows:

Characters Cards (6)

- 6 Characters with minis, chosen among worthy 2nd edition ones and not yet reissued (e.g. Barbarian, Halfling, Witch Doctor, Inquisitor, maybe some from 3rd edition...)

Adventure Cards (110)

- 8 extra Events for the Dungeon deck (too few triggers for Time Card/Harbinger)

- 6 super-nasty Dungeon Enemies with side effects that could pose a threat to omnipotent characters (like Harbinger Enemies)

- 3 Dungeon Cards that allow finding a random Treasure card (1 Enemy, 1 Event, 1 Place)

- About 14 extra City cards with dangerous effects (not necessarily Enemies, but more negative Events, Places and Strangers)

- Add at least 4 cards per deck (20-24 in total) that hinder Spell-heavy characters (Events or Places that make you lose life if you have Spells, Enemies that are stronger if you have Spells, Followers and Objects that protect from Spells, etc...)

- Add at least 2 cards per deck (10-15 in total) that are negative towards Lycanthrope characters, like Peasant Mob

- About 40 cards to connect the various boards together, the Rune Gates above being a great idea, but also Events or Enemies that teleport characters from corner to corner, and from corners to the main board

Spell Cards (9)

- Extra copies of Counterspell, Spell Scorch, Dispellation (about 3 copies of each one). This is to give more options to neutralise Spells

Miscellaneous revised cards (30+):

- 6 revised Lycanthrope cards (ok stronger at Night, but e.g. cannot cast Spells/use Objects)

- revised copies of the following cards that have technical problems or typos (6 big cards, 18 small cards): Alchemist (char), Amber Dragon, Assassin (char), Big Bad Wolf, Domain of Dragons, Dominate, Dragon Slayers, Gilded Compass, Gremlin, Highlander, Horse Thief, Immobility, Redeemer, Renegade, Ritual Master, Scribe, Shrine, Staff of Mastery, Swashbuckler, Temporal Vortex, Travelling Bazaar, Wanderlust, Werewolf, Wolfwood
- maybe reprint some small Objects from base game to Highland as Trinkets? This should be done for all Potions that became Trinkets in the City, for the Ring, and probably others (not Talismans though).

It totals 125 new cards, 6 minis and 30+ reprinted cards. I would definitely like to have something like this to complete the game and remove the few important problems with this edition.

EDIT:

I forgot to say that the rules booklet would not be required, except for component listing. Therefore, the booklet would be perfect for a final and comprehensive FAQ.

2nd EDIT:

- the reprints may also include new versions of some Enemy cards that changed subtype over the expansions. For example, the Crawling Slime has become an Enemy-Elemental in the Deep Realms, and the new Undead and Demon subtypes could be much more fitting for certain creatures, most notably the Demon from the base set.

Edited by The_Warlock

Nice idea to have permanent Rune gates on the board at the beginning of the game, thus helping to connect points far away on the board. I just think they should have some requirements to be used, e.g. a certain Craft attribute.

That is a great idea actually.  However I would change it to something such as:  Anyone with a Craft of 3 or less gets -1 to the roll.  4 or 5 has no modifier.  Anyone with a 6+ gets +1 to the roll.

That is a great idea actually.  However I would change it to something such as:  Anyone with a Craft of 3 or less gets -1 to the roll.  4 or 5 has no modifier.  Anyone with a 6+ gets +1 to the roll.

If there has to be a roll, it could work like the Mystic Portal in the Frostmarch expansion. Roll 1 die and add your Craft. With the highest total you choose among the possible destinations.

Originally when we started with the Portals we allowed everyone to freely go between realms and it was just too easy and didn't feel as "Talismany". Making it a little more random made it much more interesting. Originally in 3rd edition you could go wherever you wanted but rolled a die; on a 1 you went to the timescape.

To The_Warlock, your ideas for the Master set are very well thought out. I remember this idea from before but you've now added things that take Harbinger into account, so bravo!

Your comment seem a perfect 'coda' to your review, because you clearly lay out some of the inherent problems or inaccuracies; objects that are now trinkets (Potion, The Ring) should be reissues as trinkets.  Likewise the Lycanthrope cards; I always felt that your character was stronger, etc, but not necessarily Werewolf like; taking away spell casting and similar goes toward a better fit.

Can you explain more what you mean when you want more nasty Dungeon enemies to "pose a threat" to omnipotent enemies from Harbinger?

Other than that, can we get you hired to design and implement this set? (wish!)

Can you explain more what you mean when you want more nasty Dungeon enemies to "pose a threat" to omnipotent enemies from Harbinger?

Sure. I think the Dungeon deck is a good challenge, but once a character starts to snowball in both Strength and Craft, there's nothing inside the deck that could annoy him, with the Tinker Imps being the only exception.

Enemies from the Harbinger deck tend to have negative side-effects even if you can defeat them easily. Weaker Enemies stick to the character and give penalties, while tougher ones don't go down without a last flick of the tail (Demon of Pride, Demon of Gluttony, Crypt Horror, Infernal Corruptor, Herald of Famine/Disease). I mean that the Dungeon could be more balanced if a handful of such Enemies were to be added to the deck.