Sign in to follow this  
Varan

Influence in a darkside campaign

I've recently thrown up a question to my group on what they would like to play  For the next star wars campaign and the general census is dark jedi/Exiled sith. ((ill worry about that disgusting amount of cannon pain later)

And i already have a player who is Already telling me he is just going to use the Influence power to mind control All the other  Players to do his bidding. I personally Find this  A horrible  Idea because it would make the  other players  not in control of their own stories  and actions . I know dark side is the name of the game   but has anyone else run into this problem with  dark side jedi campaigns or sith ones?...

It was my understanding that you could not Mind control a jedi or sith easily and some species were outright immune to these effects . 

If one of your players tries to use "control" (as in the basic power only inflicts strain so he would need the control upgrade) against another player (or rival, nemesis, etc) it would be an opposed discipline check.

On a side note if your players haven't agreed to the rule of two or to be on the same "team" somehow everyone is going to kill each other. Then you can say, ok we tried the dark side bs, now let's play heroes and actually get through a campaign without being team killing f trds.

Or just have Vader kill them on the first day b/c he don't want challengers and accomplish the same thing.

Edited by flightmaster101

Thanks  I am all for Neutral and good campaigns  I play a lot of pathfinders but it seems like each time i try to do an evil campaign my group of friends push for a way to dominate  others  Through spells or  in this case force powers. it gets Really annoying honestly.  

Thank you for the  Information Flightmaster 101

Why don't you push them in the direction of Untrained Dark Side users? with them not attached to any specific Force Tradition they can be a lot more cohesive, whilst still being a bunch of lying stealing cheating murder hobos. Instead of your BBEG Inquisitor trying to kill them, he is trying to get them working for him, and if they don't he kills them.

Yeah, having a player openly admit that they intend to use mind control on their fellow PCs is the primary issue here, and if Lagspike's response is anything to go by, is going to result in the campaign blowing up and members of the group being pissed at one another.

Frankly, I'd take the player aside and have a talk with them about this concern, and advise them to not go the route of using mind control on the other PCs.  And if the player in question is hell bent on abusing their perceived power and rubbing it into the other PCs' faces, then this player will probably need to go.

Yeah I would just nip this in the bud from the start and tell the player that you aren't going to allow him to control the other PC's like that and if he can't find another way to play then he can find another group to play with. Being a darksider isn't free reign to screw with other peoples fun. 

The epitome of why darksiders can't have nice things. 

In all seriousness, while the character can attempt to charm and influence all he wants, the key issue is that firstly it's just not sustainable, he will fail his pips eventually (unless he spends the group resource, which they can spend to dry him out) and influence only works on one suggestion at a time. Thus it will rapidly become a pain in the ass if he attempts to manipulate an entire cast of characters for a period of time. He might find it extremely useful to do that occationally as part of a compelling narrative (look buddy, I know you wanted to keep him alive, but he's too much of a liability) but it isn't something a character could substain for an extended period of time. If he has a low force rating, he definately wouldn't be able to influence the group.

Secondly, influence isn't a dominate power. It can only subtly twist the senses to make the person more agreeable. Thus if a character is aware they are being constantly manipulated it is well within plot reason to hand out a greater stack of setback dice.

Thirdly, influence can only provide a state of mind it's the players and NPC's that dictate how they react to that state of mind. Thus PC's can be charmed, but will still boldly insist against him.

Needless to say, theres countless reasons that using the force to dominate a party just doesn't work and that character would be shoved into an airlock quicker then Ozzel's lifespan when he made his big mistake.

Also, why do they even seek to kill each other in the first place? They are a bunch of no timers who were kicked out of a club for whatever reason. They are not even sith, no one is sith in the rebellion era aside from Vader and Palps, so you can slap any motion of importents right out of their minds. Even in evil campaigns characters should work together to achieve a common aim and obtain actual power otherwise this galaxy and it's inquisitors will kill them, be it legitimately or as part of a criminal/organisation. If they cant' comprehend that, then don't do an evil campaign because I can promise you that they will set on one another like a bunch of glitterbiters. I'm serious, just pull the campaign, forget about the Jedi anime weebo nonsense and go and run a smugglers campaign. When they can do that properly without being a bunch of banthers, then consider running a force campaign. 

Edited by Lordbiscuit

In all seriousness, while the character can attempt to charm and influence all he wants, the key issue is that firstly it's just not sustainable, he will fail his pips eventually (unless he spends the group resource, which they can spend to dry him out) and influence only works on one suggestion at

Also, why do they even seek to kill each other in the first place? They are a bunch of no timers who were kicked out of a club for whatever reason. They are not even sith, no one is sith in the rebellion era aside from Vader and Palps, so you can slap any motion of importents right out of their minds. Even in evil campaigns characters should work together to achieve a common aim and obtain actual power otherwise this galaxy and it's inquisitors will kill them, be it legitimately or as part of a criminal/organisation. If they cant' comprehend that, then don't do an evil campaign because I can promise you that they will set on one another like a bunch of glitterbiters. I'm serious, just pull the campaign, forget about the Jedi anime weebo nonsense and go and run a smugglers campaign. When they can do that properly without being a bunch of banthers, then consider running a force campaign.

This brings up a good point. If your players are just looking to play Grand Theft Auto, Star Wars Edition I don't think this is the system for them. The GM has several tools to bring to bear the law (primarily Obligation and Inquisitors). If they just want to kill, steal, and loot the game won't last long.

On the other hand, if an Inquisitor were to recruit the group, and the group became Inquisitors, that could be very interesting.

Edited by Lagspike

In all seriousness, while the character can attempt to charm and influence all he wants, the key issue is that firstly it's just not sustainable, he will fail his pips eventually (unless he spends the group resource, which they can spend to dry him out) and influence only works on one suggestion at

This brings up a good point. If your players are just looking to play Grand Theft Auto, Star Wars Edition I don't think this is the system for them. The GM has several tools to bring to bear the law (primarily Obligation and Inquisitors). If they just want to kill, steal, and loot the game won't last long.

On the other hand, if an Inquisitor were to recruit the group, and the group became Inquisitors, that could be very interesting.

That, they certainly could get away being epic thieves, either as heist masters of bounty hunters. Again the issue comes down to expectation. The moment it dissolves into pvp to steal from one another, the campaigns failed because the goods, the real power isn't in the party. Its out there, they just have to las long enough to take it.

Evil/Dark campaigns of any type are very hard to sustain.  People end up getting angry at being hunted all of the time.  Eventually someone kills them and it is over, especially with Sith/Evil force users who crave power.  The first time fellow PC's go against their plans, the plotting starts.  I would order some small notepads for all of the note passing that will take place, or you could just text!!!

Problem 1:

It does not work on multiple targets without upgrades.

Problem 2:

Its not hard to figure out what he is doing.

Problem 3:

Players can resist it.

Problem 4:

Shadows with Slippery Minded can break free.

Problem 5:

They will likely remember once it wears off in 5 minutes.

It follows into a are you sure you want to do that conversation, Then if the player does not get the hint that its a really bad idea let the dice fall where they will as such actions tend to alienate the party as a whole and not just the player he tries it on first.

Problem 1:

It does not work on multiple targets without upgrades.

Problem 2:

Its not hard to figure out what he is doing.

Problem 3:

Players can resist it.

Problem 4:

Shadows with Slippery Minded can break free.

Problem 5:

They will likely remember once it wears off in 5 minutes.

It follows into a are you sure you want to do that conversation, Then if the player does not get the hint that its a really bad idea let the dice fall where they will as such actions tend to alienate the party as a whole and not just the player he tries it on first.

Evil Darkside campaigns in the current era do not usually end with them being hunted.

There are several groups within the Empire who love having Darkside members.

There are Darkside people who actively work in several roles in the empire.