Sign in to follow this  
Blackbird888

Nexus of Power

Considering how FFG likes to reference WEG I can't help but wonder if they'll bring back the ability to use a survival check to craft things like gliders and catapults.

Could you imagine "With a Hard Survival check you can build a catapult: Sil 2, HT2, Rocks do Damage 2, Crit 5, Range close, slow firing 1, inaccurate 1 with the gunnery skill"

I would say slow firing 2

Who in their right mind wants to play an Ewok? I'm not seeing what they would bring to a game.

Really, I see them the same way Gungans were described in Nexus of Power- A low tech, spiritually strong race with a lengthy shaman tradition.

Ewok's with lightsabers are silly. Ewok with a pet Ruping, a sachel full of poisons and drugs, and the mystical ablity to send animals to scout for it, however...

Wait, Gungans are low-tech? These are guys that have shield technology the rest of the galaxy has a hard time replicating and they are able to utilize hand-held plasma bombs. I'm not really seeing low-tech, just a different line of tech development.

They're kinda like Wookiees, people assume they're primitive because they live in trees but they ignore the wooden helicopters and rapid fire laser crossbolts.

Who in their right mind wants to play an Ewok? I'm not seeing what they would bring to a game.

GM Chris, for one.  Played one in a TOR campaign back during the SAGA RPG days.  My brother, for another; he's playing one in my campaign right now...

That's a rather negative comment, criticizing anyone who doesn't share your apparent distaste for ewoks.  Who in their right mind would play a gungan?  Or a drall?  Or an aqualesh? Or a Wookiee?  Or a human?  Answer; whoever wants to. 

Someone played an Ewok (named Nub Nub) in my SAGA campaign and brought hilarity to the campaign. For example, he took control of a speeder bike but couldn't control it properly while holding on to only the handles. The bike took off with him crazily clinging from the handlebars. "Weeeeeeeeeeee!!!"

Worth every diminutive ounce.

Edited by shoes

The problem is any race I want to play isn't in the game yet.

No Jawa, no Ewok, no Mirulaka, no Sith, no Rakata etc....

Aren't the Mirulaka a core race in F&D? (Don't have my book right now)

As far as races in the book, I'm excited. I love the Aleenas, the Gungans can be interesting, my best friend wants to be a Devokin, and I forgot the forth. But still, very interesting choices. This gives me hope for Basalisks and the shark-folk.

Edited by General Zod

Considering how FFG likes to reference WEG I can't help but wonder if they'll bring back the ability to use a survival check to craft things like gliders and catapults.

Could you imagine "With a Hard Survival check you can build a catapult: Sil 2, HT2, Rocks do Damage 2, Crit 5, Range close, slow firing 1, inaccurate 1 with the gunnery skill"

I would say slow firing 2

And also give it Prepare, or whatever that quality is called that means you need to spend manoeuvres to set up.

Do a lot of people play nonhuman species in your Star Wars games?

I haven't actually played in a SW RPG since before Saga Edition was introduced, and I've bought and read the FFG corebooks without getting to run it yet, so maybe things have changed. But back in the day with WEG and the early d20 versions I almost always saw (and played) humans or, at best, near-humans with slightly exotic features. Maybe every once in awhile, a droid or a Wookiee. This held true even after the prequels came out and introduced so many new alien characters. I know Clone Wars and Rebels have given us nonhuman protagonists who speak Basic (unlike poor Chewie). Has that helped to change things? Or have you guys always played with a diverse mix of species among your PCs?

I think it depends on the group and just how things shake out. In our Edge of Empire campaign we were all human except for a couple of droids. In the Force and Destiny campaign we just started everyone is an alien, with only one of those a near human Chiss.

I'm looking forward to this book, but I'm hoping the career books come out a little faster. The smuggler book came out the same month that we wrapped up our Edge of Empire campaign, much to my annoyance.

Most characters in the groups I GM for are human - like 80%+ I estimate. I guess that's somewhat representative of the star wars universe actually.

I've had the opposite experience. With one exception, every group I've run for or been a part of has had a single human, and everyone else has gone for a different species. In the exception, we're split 50/50.

I have some ideas for human characters, but I find it to be limiting. Why play the boring pinkskin when I can be a weird bug-looking guy who likes to drive real fast, or a Rodian who doesn't actually like being a bounty hunter, or an old HK forcibly reprogrammed to be a doctor?

or an old HK forcibly reprogrammed to be a doctor?

The best part of being a surgeon is I still get to cut open meatbags. The worst part is I have to sew them up afterwards.

"I need to disinfect" definitely has a new meaning coming from an HK Medic!

Considering some of the planets we see in Chronicles of the Gatekeeper do you think any will be further developed in Nexus of Power? 

I really can't say...

I didn't think anyone could say. I was more or less speculating on the possibility. More so since I don't own all the planet based sourcebooks so I wasn't sure if there was precedent for a planet to show up in an adventure and then show up again in a planet based sourcebook with a deeper look at it. 

Edited by Kael

Considering some of the planets we see in Chronicles of the Gatekeeper do you think any will be further developed in Nexus of Power? 

I really can't say...

I didn't think anyone could say. I was more or less speculating on the possibility. More so since I don't own all the planet based sourcebooks so I wasn't sure if there was precedent for a planet to show up in an adventure and then show up again in a planet based sourcebook with a deeper look at it. 

I don't know about precedent, but I'm sure it would happen if the developers felt it was right.

Me

I began my search ten minutes ago with the "Great Movie Alien Compendium" before doing a more general search for "Ewok". This is just one topic out of five where Ewok is mentioned.

At last meesah can reveal meesah to the big-big galaxy.  At last meesah can have me muy muy revenge!

Only one real reason I would like to use Gungan stats...

Meesa think all dem poser softies from Naboo should get a cap in der ass. Starting with dat so-called "Representative" Binks. Iffin I ever get my hands on him, oh boy...