Sign in to follow this  
Blackbird888

Nexus of Power

Karabast! I'm not buying the Force and Destiny line, and it has to be the one that will inteoduce the Aleena! Also, Bardottans, Devaronian and Gungans are cool.

...you realize how many useful things for all three lines there are in each book, don't you?

It's like FFG knows how to market to rabid fanboys, or something...

If you want to buy it for me, I'll accept. :P Honestly though, the execution of Force and Destiny rubs me the wrong way.

Loved working on this one. I worked on Ossus, which was mentioned in the article, as well as a bunch of modular encounters, and some of the vergence stuff mentioned in the article as well. This was a really challenging assignment for me, and I'm proud of how my section turned out (and I'm sure everyone else knocked it out of the park). I'm particularly proud of one of the modular encounters. But more on that stuff as revealed in articles or once the book is out!

Gungan jedi... Does that mean if they use a mind trick to make someone think/say something, they will repeat it in Gungan-speak?  "Meesa be thinkin these not bein the droids weesa lookin for", for example?

Well, the old Tartoffsky Clone Wars shorts had Yoda using the mind track on the Captain of Padme's guard, with the guard repeating Yoda word for word, odd syntax and all.

If you want to buy it for me, I'll accept. :P Honestly though, the execution of Force and Destiny rubs me the wrong way.

What is it about Force and Destiny you don't like? I'm curious as I've loved it so far but it's also my first table top Star Wars RPG.

If Gungans have truly arrived, then let the pain begin.  They have to be an evil insidious race who insert themselves into good existing communities only to devour them within by pun and pun alone.  I think they were discovered by the Sith long ago and then surreptitiously pointed them at the Rebels and said do your worst!

Dagobah? New Gear? you know what that means.... We'll finally have stats for a briefcase full of mozzarella sticks!

vr_sw5_parte06_05.jpg

I always thought they looked a bit more like breakfast sausage links.

In all seriousness though, I'm actually quite pleased with the Gungans, they are a really cool race they had -literally- the worst first impression with the fan base. LITERALLY THE WORST.

Loved working on this one. I worked on Ossus, which was mentioned in the article, as well as a bunch of modular encounters, and some of the vergence stuff mentioned in the article as well. This was a really challenging assignment for me, and I'm proud of how my section turned out (and I'm sure everyone else knocked it out of the park). I'm particularly proud of one of the modular encounters. But more on that stuff as revealed in articles or once the book is out!

Modular encounters are just what I've been looking for!

What is it about Force and Destiny you don't like? I'm curious as I've loved it so far but it's also my first table top Star Wars RPG.

First and foremost, while I love Jedi and the force I honestly feel it should be less frequently used in fiction (and games). I like the the "muggle" aspects of Star Wars. Age of Rebellion and Edge of the Empire I find to suit my tastes, and that of the Era they are set in more. Force and Destiny is great for doing old republic up through the clone wars stories.

As for the execution, while i know FFG had to do it as a seperate RPG, with careers and specializations it feels to me, a bit heavy handed in the execution. I would have preferred to see more generic careers, like pilot with force powers and maybe a few universal specializations - the current ones seem focused on Jedi - they all seem parts if the same whole. While Jedi are integral to many peoples' Star Wars experience, i would have liked to see more force traditions represented early on, not just "the same jedi in different robes".

If I had my way, Force and Destiny would be a supplement book, rather than a stand alone line, to enhance and accentuate the other game lines.

In place of Morality, I would have done Commitment. When you choose a commitment, you are choosing a Tradition to follow. Jedi, sith, etc. Doing things that represent these ideals rewards you with commitment, doing things against takes it away - think of Luke leaving Dagobah to help his friends. The more commitment you earn on a path, you get more rewards, such as lightsaber being a career skill.

This way a character could traverse all three game lines with an Obligation to Crime Lord, a Duty to the Rebellion and a Commitment to the Jedi ideals of old.

Now don't get me wrong, Fantasy Flight did a great job, it doesnt fit with how I feel characters such as Luke or Ezra are represented. The rules are solid, the art excellent. But to me, it doesn't *feel* right.

Karabast! I'm not buying the Force and Destiny line, and it has to be the one that will inteoduce the Aleena! Also, Bardottans, Devaronian and Gungans are cool.

Really, this book I think is better looked at as a general sourcebook. Yes, it's focusing on planets where the force is strong or which might have special interest to force users but it is still a sourcebook of planets and locations and that is worthwhile to any of the systems.

While personally, I think you are shorting yourself by writing off 1/3rd of the overall Star Wars experience that FFG is trying to produce that is up to you. If Jedi aren't your thing I understand not wanting to put money into those materials.. but I'd strongly suggest evaluating each sourcebook on their value and use to you and your game rather than which line of RPG they are associated to.

I'm so hype for this!

Nah! Stuff this SWRPG stuff.... I'm off to play Monopoly.. or Ludo.

(yeah, as if!!!)

Curse you FFG - and I spotted a board game that involves little plastic pieces representing Rebel or Imperial forces...and BOTH Death Stars!!!  *faints*

Do a lot of people play nonhuman species in your Star Wars games?

I haven't actually played in a SW RPG since before Saga Edition was introduced, and I've bought and read the FFG corebooks without getting to run it yet, so maybe things have changed. But back in the day with WEG and the early d20 versions I almost always saw (and played) humans or, at best, near-humans with slightly exotic features. Maybe every once in awhile, a droid or a Wookiee. This held true even after the prequels came out and introduced so many new alien characters. I know Clone Wars and Rebels have given us nonhuman protagonists who speak Basic (unlike poor Chewie). Has that helped to change things? Or have you guys always played with a diverse mix of species among your PCs?

Do a lot of people play nonhuman species in your Star Wars games?

I haven't actually played in a SW RPG since before Saga Edition was introduced, and I've bought and read the FFG corebooks without getting to run it yet, so maybe things have changed. But back in the day with WEG and the early d20 versions I almost always saw (and played) humans or, at best, near-humans with slightly exotic features. Maybe every once in awhile, a droid or a Wookiee. This held true even after the prequels came out and introduced so many new alien characters. I know Clone Wars and Rebels have given us nonhuman protagonists who speak Basic (unlike poor Chewie). Has that helped to change things? Or have you guys always played with a diverse mix of species among your PCs?

I think it's more group dependant than that.

In Saga, I have played a Bothan noble/scout/infiltrator/crime lord during the rebellion for a long time. I am currently playing a Hutt in a Edge game. For the rest of my group, it as been a mix of human and other races quite often. Sure Human will always be consider the only choice that mather by min/maxer but you can have a great campaign with just alien species.

On the subject: I will finally being able to troll my Gm with a Gungan PC. Hourray! The poor guy is going to do nightmare. 

I can't believe Gungans, Bardotta, and Aleenas are getting featured before Besalisks and Biths. I'm really excited though!!

Edited by Hoda25

If we were to go OT for a brief moment, I think a campaign with no more than 1 human PC might be fun, so long as you had no more than 1 of any other species. But that's besides the point.

What are we predicting for new weapons/gear/vehicles? I'm going with more artifacts and those Jedi Scout Ships from TCW.

Dagobah? New Gear? you know what that means.... We'll finally have stats for a briefcase full of mozzarella sticks!

vr_sw5_parte06_05.jpg

I always thought they looked a bit more like breakfast sausage links.

And that's an improvement?

I mean look at Luke's briefcase o' food, it looks like rebel rations are packed by a 5 year old planning a camping trip:

Lukes%20Lunch.jpg

image: close up of Luke's Lunchbox form Empire Strikes Back

Ok let's see what's on the menu:

Top row: Corn bread, granola, graham crackers, chex-mix

Middle row: Tater Tots, Mozzasticks (or hot links), a burrito

Bottom row: Almonds, yogurt raisins, candy corn, walnuts, dried pineapple chunks, hot cocoa mix, marshmallows.

Seriously the Echo Base latrine must have been a horror show....

Rh2GzlOvGi4Io.gif

gif of cut scene from empire where Stormtroopers open a door and a wampa attacks

Edited by Ghostofman