Sign in to follow this  
emmjay

Why Players are Really Mad - New Damage Deck Ruling

Ok, so FFG has announced that they are now going to - for the foreseeable future - allow both damage decks in tournaments, except for Worlds where the Core 2.0 damage deck is required - and provided to players.  People are upset with this ruling change, and I think I know why....

1.  This ruling directly contradicts their earlier ruling making it mandatory starting 1 Jan 16.  That ruling directly contradicts the rules supplements found in Core 2.0 stating that the new damage deck should be used, but is optional.  So players are mad with the wishy-washy way FFG is handling the new damage deck.

2.  Multiple interpretations.  There are some cards that are specifically better under the old deck, and FFG has ruled that the decks are interpretated as written, so Blinded Pilot doesn't use Core 2.0 wording.  This will go towards players getting confused and lead to more messy games.

3.  Players are equating what FFG has done with Core 2.0 and requiring the new damage deck as something GW would do.  They are upset that they had already gone out and bought the new core set - saying that they would only buy it for the new damage deck (yah, right), and now they don't have to.  They are accusing FFG of forcing players to buy a product and then reversing their decision.

4.  They don't like the additional variation to the meta scene.  Two different decks adds a wrinkle that they don't want to deal with.

5.  They are afraid that players will game the damage deck ruling and choose the one that best works for their squad.  Much like deploying Debris Fields and playing with ships that don't worry about them, this type of thing has been going on for quite awhile.

6.  They are cry babies and just want to ***** and moan.  Most probably complain just for the sake of complaining.

Grow up, deal with it.  Don't like it?  Quit.

Dagonets last point is spot on. You did a good job writing out a list of possible reasons people are upset with the ruling, but your last point doesn't come off as an observation like the rest of your points, it comes off as an opinionated negative rant. You took the time to thoughtfully right out the rest of your post, no need for the 6th point which subtracts from the effort you put in to your post.

People voicing their opinion/complaining obviously worked last time to produce this ruling, so why criticize people for employing the same effective strategy? I don't like the ruling, why shouldn't I let FFG know? People have every right to talk about what they want to.

People voicing their opinion/complaining obviously worked last time to produce this ruling, so why criticize people for employing the same effective strategy? I don't like the ruling, why shouldn't I let FFG know? People have every right to talk about what they want to.

Correlation is not causation. You have no way of knowing why they did this or if forum whining played a part.

1. Well it is kind of frustrating as some people did buy the TFA solely for the new damage deck and not the T-70 of I-fighters or fans of a movie they have yet to seen. However if people don't think that a full change over to the new damage deck won't happen they are solely mistaken. It will just come at a later time
  2. There will be some confusions especially since some cards got changed all together but kept the same name. Example Damaged sensor array used to only block actions in or added into the upgrade bar but were harder to repair. New Damaged sensor array now blocks all actions except for critical repairs. Atlease you can't mixe damage decks but there is a fear that some will try.
  3. Well everything from an major retailer exclusive launch and stiffing all FLGS the entire launch of TFA ships was a bit non consumer friendly and not too kind to X-wing enthusiasts. It felt like the worst of mass marketing as if some megacorporation was pulling the strings.
  4. X-wign does have some common core elements that are supposed to be universal as in all players have them. Damage dice, maneuver templates and range rulers for example are universal items for X-wing. Thee are not supposed to be any differences between 2 players. Obstacles now have some slight variations between players but the obstacle placement system allows for fair interactions between players. Pick 3 large asteroids and if you don't have initiative you can count on your opponent placing 2 of those. The damage deck doesn't allow for such interactions.
  5. Well if players have a choice they will do everything to take away such risks. People flying super dash or TLT will take the new one as it does not discard their secondary weapon nor remove Dash's ability. While TIE swarms will take the old one because two of those criticle effects does not apply to them. However I think in premier tournaments the new one will be a requirement so for those practicing or getting ready for a big tournament would want to practice with the new damage deck.
  6. Seriously, this was not needed.  :angry:

As I said in all the other posts the move to have both damage decks allowed prevents the player base from being fractured into two parties from those that got the TFA set to those who only have the classic set. Now to keep the competitive scene consistent Premier events will require the new damage deck. I believe next year just like worlds FFG will be sending new damage deck to premier events for each participant. This acts as a second way to get a damage deck without having to buy the TFA core set. No doubt many of them will end up on the secondary market. I believer that not next year but the year after will be the push to change over completely to the new damage deck.

Edited by Marinealver

Don't call the TFA starter set Core 2.0.

It's not.

If it were a 2.0 / 2nd edition then all would be fine with the new damage deck. 

The problem with the TFA starter set is it is just an expansion that we all had to buy if we wanted to compete in a tourny.

Agreed tfa core is not x-wing 2.0.

If it had been a new edition with significant rules changes and new mechanics then again there would of been no protest.

It was a new damage deck and some new ships but otherwise the same game.

TFA is X-Wing 1.1, hence the updated rulebook included in it.

I'm just disappointed that the designers thought the damage deck was a big enough problem to create a revised and updated damage deck and now players get to pick and choose which one they want for a tournament, rather than offering the damage deck as a stand-alone product or even providing new decks to the stores with their tournament packs. Or even arrange through the stores for a 1 for 1 exchange deal, you return your old damage deck and FFG give you a new TFA damage deck.

I feel like I can't trust FFG recently. First the kwing article debacle, now this change on the new core set. There are plenty of reasons not to like the new change other than that, but it feels like they are setting a presendent for making big changes shortly after release. Sort of feel like I should wait for a month or two to find out what the rules really are going to be before ordering. So a little bit of 1-5 for me, but mostly I hate big changes after product release.

Both sides of this discussion have valid points but there is no reason to tell people to quit over it.  In fact one of the main points that is argued in being able to use both decks is so people don't quit.  Having a debate about a game we enjoy is natural, and at times heated, but shouldn't bring this amount of negativity. Some people criticize or complain to do just that but I'd like to think a lot of us are just passionate about this game and want it to succeed.  

How about a player that traded a perfectly fine ship (OK, it was a Scyk) for a new damage deck just so his son could play at tourneys only to find out a few weeks later that it was completely unnecessary?  Bought one TFA core.  Already owned two original cores.  "Needed" a second damage deck... until I didn't anymore.  Can I be a little upset?