Sign in to follow this  
Danthrax

FFG issues article legalizing BOTH damage decks

I'm of the opinion that the new deck favors Super Dash much like the way the old deck punished ships like super dash, so when people say, "BUT IF YOU FLY 8 ACADEMIES WHY WOULD YOU EVER TAKE THE NEW DECK?!" I think, "BUT IF YOU FLY SUPER DASH WHO RELIES ON HIS SECONDARY WEAPON AND EPT AND PILOT ABILITIES, WHY WOULD YOU EVER TAKE THE OLD DECK?!".

Since both players get to choose their own deck, it's a level playing field. All of you guys are making a big deal out of nothing.

Hell, the old damage deck was just fine. New one is an improvement, but it's not game changing.

Stupid decision.  Just more proof if you piss and moan enough you will get your way.

Yep. :)

Haha, eat it.

I can't really claim any credit for bitching about the new deck formerly being required, just glad someone with my mentality got their way and got their (good) taste forced upon others.

i must admit i wasn't super-happy about having to buy a whole new core set to keep playing tourney's purely for a damage deck and i was an advocate of FFG offering the new damage deck separately. which was (mistakenly imo) never offered. so people, including myself, bought the new core set primarily for said deck...

having said that i am sold on the idea that a damage deck should affect you every time a crit is inflicted and believe FFG made a perfectly cogent argument for developing the new one.

so; there i was, having been made to feel a little disappointed a few weeks ago having to fork out for a new core in order to comply with the new damage deck regulation. ok at least it addressed a known issue and helped the game stay balanced (game balance is VERY important to me - i don't want to feel i can't play certain ships because they're uncompetitive)

and now here i am, a little disappointed (again!) that FFG have done a u-turn, invalidating my recent forced purchase AND leaving my with the feeling the game is that bit less balanced because the balance tweak is optional (which means it'll be applied to maximising people's particular situations maximising any imbalance there).

i hope FFG does enforce one or other damage deck, and if the new one is the most balanced-we'll have that one please. i also hope FFG see's sense and sell's the deck separately...

Sorry but you're completely wrong. Most new editions of various game systems are only a difference in rules text.

How much does it cost to buy the new edition of *any* product? How is the new starter set out of line *in any way*? Or do you think it's completely free for companies to develop, play-test, and produce new rules?

This pandering nonsense isn't even close to the right answer, if FFG really thought it was a problem they should have just released the damage deck separately.

Stop dragging other game systems into this, what do I care about other game systems? I don't play those other game systems, I don't plan to, and what they do has no bearing on what this game does. Unless you are 12 and think peer pressure is a valid reason.

I'm not saying the second set is out of line, please quote me where I said that or stop putting words in my mouth.

I think this is a valid move to ensure people don't get stuck with what they could rightly claim a useless starter product that won't allow them entry in organized play.

Once the original core set has been updated with the new deck and the old decks are no longer available for purchase then by all means, phase it out. Phase it out next year.

Oh, and all the people who are now crying they bought a product just for the damage deck, it was only 20 bucks online, who cares?

After all, that's the same reasoning used to disqualify the old deck.

Posted thus earlier but fear the point may have been lost in the soapboxing.

Sales figures.

Sales of original core set

vs

Sales of Force Awakens core set

vs

Number of official FFG competition attendees.

Could this decision have been made because demand for the Force Awakens box has been lower than anticipated?

Say the Force Awakens core set sales are only at 10% of the original core set - would it not then be fair to postpone the introduction of the new damage deck until it os on wider circulation?

Discuss.

I consider myself to be fairly serious about this game. I buy multiple copies of every ship FFG release. I browse these forums for hours each day (sorry boss!), I play at my local FLGS whenever I can get some games (so at least one day or night a week) and I have weekends booked up for tournaments every few weeks up until April next year.

However no matter how much I think about this news, I just can't get as worked up and angry as quite a few people appear to doing in this thread.

Maybe I'm not as serious as I thought I was.

Yea, all those whining and moaning got their way. Give it 6 months, and those using the old deck will learn how crappy it is (comparatively), and start running the new one.

Just because they don't agree with you means it is whining and moaning. And I think you overestimate their influence, there is just as likely feedback from stores about players grumbling or core sets not selling and people walking away.

This is just bad policy.

This constantly walking back of a decision just makes FFG look weak.

The old deck needs to go, in fact they should retool their production line to remove it from the original starter.

The Damage Deck should be punishing, not tooled to be friendly to your fleet. Going that route, why not just let you mix and match, make your own damage deck, so that you can only have cards that are less harmful to your fleet? Why not? It's just as good reasoning as letting you pick a deck.

Sales figures.

vs

vs

Could this decision have been made because demand for the Force Awakens box has been lower than anticipated?

Say the Force Awakens core set sales are only at 10% of the original core set - would it not then be fair to postpone the introduction of the new damage deck until it os on wider circulation?

Discuss.

All I have to say on this is "one can only hope".

Sales figures.

vs

vs

Discuss.

I think it's fair to say that the "until further notice" line suggests that this is not going to be a permanent state of affairs. So if it's a postponement, the question is "why"? They must have a reason for going back on their original ruling, if only on a temporary basis.

Sales and distribution is a possibility. If sales have not been as expected and distribution of the new core set is not widespread, it makes enforcing the new damage deck ruling difficult.

Maybe 1st January 2016 is simply going to be too soon.

Sales figures.

vs

vs

Discuss.

I think it's fair to say that the "until further notice" line suggests that this is not going to be a permanent state of affairs. So if it's a postponement, the question is "why"? They must have a reason for going back on their original ruling, if only on a temporary basis.

Sales and distribution is a possibility. If sales have not been as expected and distribution of the new core set is not widespread, it makes enforcing the new damage deck ruling difficult.

Maybe 1st January 2016 is simply going to be too soon.

It is possible that they found it was severely cutting into the sales of the original core set. If they are still producing those at all, they are almost certainly retooling them as continuing to produce obsolete things is an obviously poor decision.

So it might be an attempt to make the old core set a viable purchase for new players so they can clear out the remaining stock. Once they feel they've sold all they will of the stock, they make the rules change.

January 1st is a good date to start it, but not if it conflicts with business needs.

I'm so happy that I've invested my hobby dollars with FFG. I applaud yet another common sense decision.

I respectfully disagree with several posters who unfortunately, are taking this very personally.

You know what you call a customer who has already purchased two original core sets but doesn't want to buy the newest?

No, not a pisser and moaner. A repeat customer.

You know what you called a customer who purchased multiple Z-95s and Y-Wings but didn't want to re-buy the same ships just for the scum dials? 

No, not a pisser and moaner. A repeat customer.

I buy FFG products because the games are terrific, but also because this is truly a customer-oriented company. It's weird it's almost like some of you would prefer them to be like a certain UK miniatures company that you all hate for crapping on their customers over and over again.

Sincerely,

A loyal Descent, Imperial Assault, X-Wing, SH: Death Angel, BBTM, XCOM TBG, Elder Sign, Eldritch Horror customer.

I think requiring everyone to purchase a new core set just for the new damage deck will rub new players the wrong way and imposed a barrier to tournament play by those new players.  If a new player buys the wrong core set (read original set) then there is a pretty good chance they might not have any idea that the damage deck they just got would not be tournament legal starting in 2016.  That is just a slap in the face.  I think the new ruling is a good call.  It is unfortunate that FFG flip-flopped on it.

What they should do is stop producing the old deck entirely and include the new deck in all future core sets.  Then take measures such as:

a) offer the new damage deck as a stand alone product without making any profit or a slim margin at most (maybe $5 retail?)

b) allow people to print proxy damage deck cards, cut them out, and place in sleeves in front of the old damage deck cards or glue to the front of the old deck

c) set a date in the future to completely stop allowing the old deck to be used at tournaments (to give people time to phase into it)

The old damage deck is unbalanced and the new deck is a much needed improvement.  They need to get everyone over to it, but can do a much better job than forcing everyone to buy a $40 retail product to play in any new tournaments.

What if there is going to be a THIRD core set with yet another damage deck? Choosing your damage deck could then be a tactical decision.

Make it a deck building option, release specific cards with new expansions, allow players to build their own 32 card damage deck out of all damage cards. Damage cards go to enemy ships. So you build, not to protect your own list, but to hurt the enemy.

Thought of it tonight, now I've never wanted anything else.

I say we all pick the old damage deck and fly a bunch of generics and whenever we get a dead draw crit we burst out in celebration as if our opponent had said the secret word and rub it in their face. "Yes, I've been waiting for this moment, when I could pick this damage deck that has less of a chance of damaging my ships. Isn't it great that they released a new damage deck that would have a better chance of harming my ships that I aren't forced to use?"

Stupid decision. Just more proof if you piss and moan enough you will get your way.

Ffg should have left it alone and people could have just dealt with it.

This makes me happily optimistic about the Missileboat and Gunboat :D:D

We really need to start bitching about the lack of the TIE Avenger and Assault Gunboat.

Edited by ParaGoomba Slayer

I don't see why so many of you lot seem to be against this.

It's great FFG is giving us customers the choice.

If the new deck is such a good fix over the old then it should be released in a blister perhaps with some missions and tokens so it could be sold along side the small ships

The old deck is sub-par in the same way X-wings need a fix. Can you win with X-wings? Heck yeah! But over the course of a tournament where you fly the same list for so many games, the inefficiencies start to reveal themselves. Likewise, the old deck is just fine for one-off games, but in a tournament setting, you ideally want to remove the random "swinginess" of the old deck.

I think people need to be more accepting of the old deck in non-FFGOP games, but those official tournaments really should be played with the new deck.

Well for premier tournaments you can count on the new damage deck being required. It would probably be handed out at such events. I would still tell newer players to get the TFA core set.

It is not a matter of if FFG will cycle out the damage deck it is a matter of when. The date Jan 1, 2016 may have changed.

Edited by Marinealver

If the new deck is such a good fix over the old then it should be released in a blister perhaps with some missions and tokens so it could be sold along side the small ships

Toss in a few new ships as well and I would call that a viable product. Hell, maybe even price it aggressively and make it $5 cheaper than those 3 ships would normally be. Three ships, a new damage deck, new scenarios and a bunch of tokens, now that would be a heck of a deal.