Sign in to follow this  
Danthrax

FFG issues article legalizing BOTH damage decks

It's not illogical.

There are a lot of people entering tournaments very quickly. If you are selling a starter box and then saying "no, you should buy the other starter box as well because otherwise you can't play". That's a terrible business strategy.

As soon as there no sets available with the old deck you can start thinking about phasing the old deck out.

We are aware of the differences, but regular joe who just started?

Wow. I never took FFG for a bunch of cowards, but to cave in to short-sighted complaining like this is not only cowardly, it's stupid.

What the heck was the point of the new damage deck if you're going to allow people to continue using the busted, out-of-date, unfair old one?

Idiots.

Wow, cowards, and stupid?

It's a good thing they are laughing their way to the bank with your money, otherwise they might be insulted.

I, for one, am pleased with this change, for a few reasons:

1- I do not own TFA Core, and wasn't looking forward to purchasing it immediately- I'm not feeling any particular pressure to include the ships in it in any of my lists. It worked out to a $60 purchase that I had to make if I wanted to keep playing in tournaments.*

2- When- I do intend to eventually have one of everything, just not soon- I do eventually pick up a copy of TFA core, I will now be able to invite my brother-in-law, who plays casually, to tournaments- since I will then have a second damage deck legal for tournament play.

3- As noted, it increases strategic choice. If a TLT is a core component of my lists, I'm going to want the new deck. Accuracy Corrector or Gunner feathers heavily? Old deck. ...probably. ...wait, that has Damaged Cockpit. Hang on, I'm going to have to think about this.

*Yes, really- $51, $5 of gas milage away, with a 13% sales tax. Or, $42 + $10 shipping, from the internet; same taxes apply. I'm happy for those of you in the United States who can find this for $30. And also deeply, deeply envious.

I still maintain that, if you're going to allow either deck, then you should also have players trade decks with their opponent before a match.

That way, it's just like picking your own rocks. It's a strategic choice you're making when you construct your squad. You're setting the targeting priorities for your ships. If you think you're going to see a lot of swarms, take the new deck and hope for Major Explosions or Loose Stabilizers. If you think you're going to see a lot of aces or TLTs, bring the old one and try to score Injured Pilots or Munitions Failures.

Edited by PhantomFO

I still maintain that, if you're going to allow either deck, then you should also have players trade decks with their opponent before a match.

That way, it's just like picking your own rocks. It's a strategic choice you're making when you construct your squad. You're setting the targeting priorities for your ships. If you think you're going to see a lot of swarms, take the new deck and hope for Major Explosions or Loose Stabilizers. If you think you're going to see a lot of aces or TLTs, bring the old one and try to score Injured Pilots or Munitions Failures.

That's actually a **** good idea. Time to rig my opponent's deck with 100% direct hits and major explosions!

1- I do not own TFA Core, and wasn't looking forward to purchasing it immediately- I'm not feeling any particular pressure to include the ships in it in any of my lists. It worked out to a $60 purchase that I had to make if I wanted to keep playing in tournaments.*

*Yes, really- $51, $5 of gas milage away, with a 13% sales tax. Or, $42 + $10 shipping, from the internet; same taxes apply. I'm happy for those of you in the United States who can find this for $30. And also deeply, deeply envious.

You know you can just buy the deck off ebay or one of the other sites that sell singles.  It would cost about $5-10 w/ shipping.  That's not really a bad cost.

I do agree that if both decks are usable, having players switch decks makes sense. Would also encourage trusting people (like me) to give the opponents deck a quick check before the game to verify legality, something a lot of players don't do currently.

Personally think this is an awesome decision and i'm glad FFG has seen the light.

You may view it as "seeing the light". But I see it as "turning them off". FFG shined a light on the old damage deck and saw problems and a need for improvement. So they worked it out and fixed it. Now they are going back and invalidating that work.

I understand that there are negatives for some to buying a "whole new core" for just a damage deck. But I don't think those negatives change the reasons for needing the new deck in the first place. That is why I hope they release the damage deck seperately and go back to requiring it. Perhaps that is the plan.

I do agree that if both decks are usable, having players switch decks makes sense. Would also encourage trusting people (like me) to give the opponents deck a quick check before the game to verify legality, something a lot of players don't do currently.

That just adds more time to already lengthy tournaments. 

I love the people complaining that they didn't want to have to buy a TFA core set, when they probably have 2 or 3 standard core sets sitting in their closet. 

Edited by Jo Jo

That's actually a **** good idea. Time to rig my opponent's deck with 100% direct hits and major explosions!

I could have sworn my opponents were already doing that.

You know you can just buy the deck off ebay or one of the other sites that sell singles.  It would cost about $5-10 w/ shipping.  That's not really a bad cost.

$22 is the lowest a cursory ebaying reveals to me. See above, about deeply, deeply envious.

$22 is the lowest a cursory ebaying reveals to me. See above, about deeply, deeply envious.

For real, these U.S to Canada shipping rates and eBay import taxes are brutal.

I am hoping that they just allow both to be used for a few months and then go to the new one.  The new deck is much better and actually helps balance the point difference between shields and hull a lot better.

I have gone to a tourney where someone just had the new deck.  I lent him my old beater damage deck (which I used for 2 years without sleeves).  He did use that deck to win the tournament, beating me in the first round.  Actually my win % went down since I switch to my pristine sleeved old damage deck.  I may need to switch back.....

The solution could have been much simpler:

Step 1) Start selling the new damage deck seperately.  Sell it at near cost value.

Step 2) Include the new damage deck in old core sets.

Step 3) When supplies of old core set without the new damage deck run out, increase the price of damage decks sold seperately (seriously, people lose cards, so great customer service aside, I'd like to be able to replace it myself)

Side note: I would not mind having customized damage decks as prizes in mini kits or some such.  Even something as simple as a different color might help so that we don't accidentally mix them.  Just a thought.

Personaly, I will just fly Maarek and make sure you regret either choice of deck.

Rexler, maarek and colzet, really make them feel your crits.

I run that list!!!

Brath

PTL

HLC

MK2

Stele

Crackshot

title ATC

Colzet

title AC

Not sure on your country, but just found one that ships to Australia for $18.  Sure, you have to spend $18, but it's a far cry from the $60 you were going on about.  I say if you can't afford the $18 to play in an official tournament by Jan 1st, then too bad for you.  You have a couple of months to save up for it.

Not sure on your country, but just found one that ships to Australia for $18.  Sure, you have to spend $18, but it's a far cry from the $60 you were going on about.  I say if you can't afford the $18 to play in an official tournament by Jan 1st, then too bad for you.  You have a couple of months to save up for it.

Ahh well now he doesn't have to does he so he can spend that on one of lifes essentials instead.