Sign in to follow this  
AldousSnow

Recommendations for a multi-book group

I've run a number of adventures from each book on their own. I'm about to start my first game with a cross-book party. Nothing is in stone yet, but I have 2 players leaning towards AoR characters,1 player with EotE, and 1 with FaD. How is everyone else dealing with options for starting rewards, such as a freighter,star fighters,base of operations, mentor/holocron? I want to make sure every character feels like they got a suitable and fair start.

Group diversity is good, but I think it will largely depend on which kind of campaign you want to run. What's your theme? Scum and villiany? The struggle against the Empire? Spirituality and ancient myths?

I usually only run home brew adventures. This one is starting as more of a seedy underworld adventure on the streets of Ord Mantell. I also like to leave room for player choices to impact the overall arc of the story as far as long term goes. But an EotE theme is definitely the core of the beginning. My force using character is really interested in a mentor or holocron. This option kind of leaves the rest of the crew in the dark. I could always allow multiple starting options, but I was curious if anyone has come across this. I'm a bit worried about giving them too much.

Edited by AldousSnow

Force & Destiny deals with cross-book compatibility, it's worth a read if you haven't already (page 338). This includes rules on starting equipment like ships and rewards.

But I think the biggest thing would be deciding on what resource to deal with throughout the campaign: Obligation, Duty or Morality. With a group as diverse as yours, it'll be difficult to exploit if they all settle on their expected resource and it turns out they don't have any reasonably moderate values that can be triggered. In my games, triggering Obligation/Duty/Morality is highly narrative in nature and half the fun with developing new characters! One big group I'm in at the moment has characters from all books and we have something of a combined table the GM posts before each session. The nature of the campaign is AoR themed, so everybody has a duty value, even if they are an Edge of F&D class.

Force & Destiny deals with cross-book compatibility, it's worth a read if you haven't already (page 338). This includes rules on starting equipment like ships and rewards.

But I think the biggest thing would be deciding on what resource to deal with throughout the campaign: Obligation, Duty or Morality. With a group as diverse as yours, it'll be difficult to exploit if they all settle on their expected resource and it turns out they don't have any reasonably moderate values that can be triggered. In my games, triggering Obligation/Duty/Morality is highly narrative in nature and half the fun with developing new characters! One big group I'm in at the moment has characters from all books and we have something of a combined table the GM posts before each session. The nature of the campaign is AoR themed, so everybody has a duty value, even if they are an Edge of F&D class.

Thanks. I'll def check that section out again. I'm not even sure i seen that while flipping through.

We decided early on that we are going with Obligation for our characters. Our AoR players are using the military/rebellion classes as a way to build characters who have a security force background. Our force user is going to be using Morality and Obligation. I know I can introduce items in time (holocrons, ships, etc) via the storyline. I'm just trying to make the beginning is fair for everyone. I'm going to go read up in F&D. 

In this instance, I think I'd go with a starting resource from Edge (since you're using Obligation) but make my first series of adventures end with finding a legit holocron for your F&D player. You can easily make the first job offer come from the Rebellion or even make their Obligation tied to the Rebels.

OP, It really does seem like EDGE is already built for motley crews, so I think you have the right of it by using this system (Obligation and starting "rewards").  When you write "AoR characters", though, I wonder if you mean "characters who are enlisted by the Rebellion" or "characters whose concept requires them to use a Career and Spec from AoR".  Because if it's the latter, then you definitely have a EDGE game on your hands.  If it's the former, you have an even cooler-sounding EDGE game on your hands :)

FWIW, I noticed that all of the starting ships for EDGE were in the price range of 120K, so I implemented the house rule below for my recently-begun campaign.  My 2 cents worth.

Choosing a starting ship:

This expanded list of starting ships combines the standard starting vehicles, with 

additions from the supplements.  If the party chooses a ship worth less than 

120,000 credits, you may spend the difference on modifications or additional 

vehicles (like speeder bikes or walkers); otherwise, this money is lost.

- Coreillian Engineering YT-1300 Light Freighter (Edge of the Empire Core 

Rulebook pg. 264)

- Coreillian Engineering YT-2400 Light Freighter (Edge of the Empire Core 

Rulebook pg. 265)

- Coreillian Engineering YV-560 Light Freighter (Enter the Unknown pg. 66)

- Coreillian Engineering HT-2200 Medium Freighter (Far Horizons pg. 56)

- Gallofree Yards YKL-37r Nova Courier (Fly Casual pg. 56)

- Ghtroc Industries 720 Freighter (Enter the Unknown pg. 62)

- Lantillian Shipwrights GX-1 Short Hauler (Fly Casual pg. 56)

- Wayfarer Medium Transport (Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook pg. 263)

In our group (also multibook) we have one to two from each core book (the players rotate characters).  Our first group resource was a ship, then a base, and finally a holocron to help the force users.

For us, the best mix of mechanic was having everyone use obligation, and having the force users also use morality.  When they joined up with the rebellion, they each selected a Duty that made sense for their characters.

Whenever the Force Users used their powers or lightsabers in public, around people that would report them, I added 5 obligation (wanted by the empire) to their sheet to express the rumors and stories that are being told about a Jedi out in the worlds that the Empire might be interested in.  They didn't find it so serious until their obligation in this area  hit around 25 and a couple bounty hunters showed up to take them in.  I found their chase really fun, the party had to defeat the bounty hunters (physically and as a social encounter) to convince the Bounty hunters that the force users on their team weren't the folks the BHs were looking for.  This was the only obligation that the force users had, and it allowed for some really fun tie ins (one of the players decided to play one of those BHs later, joining the group after his droid PC had perished).

I too tend to run free story, running with the players down a path they have chosen.  I would say use obligation to start, it helps with character development, and in my opinion is the easiest to use and for the players to see a result of their actions.  Morality is kind of needed for force users, Duty really only makes sense if the PCs feel like supporting the rebellion in a heavy way. 

--Cheers and good luck!

Easy, I don't ever just give a group anything.  I have an idea ahead of time how they are meeting, down on their luck bums in some seedy cantina off the starport in Nar Shaddaa who are introduced by a bar owner who appears to have more to their past than meets the eye, members of different archaeology groups on the same search in an ancient temple who end up in a collapse/calamity and have to pool resources to survive, passengers on a public transport being boarded by pirate slavers that have to come up with a means to survive and/or escape, whatever, but I don't just hand them stuff and say "lets begin".

There's too much session play there being by passed up imo.  Using those basic needs as the first couple few sessions allows you to award xp and by the time they have kinda got themselves kitted out they also have some xp and are feeling a little competent with their characters.

Easy, I don't ever just give a group anything.  I have an idea ahead of time how they are meeting, down on their luck bums in some seedy cantina off the starport in Nar Shaddaa who are introduced by a bar owner who appears to have more to their past than meets the eye, members of different archaeology groups on the same search in an ancient temple who end up in a collapse/calamity and have to pool resources to survive, passengers on a public transport being boarded by pirate slavers that have to come up with a means to survive and/or escape, whatever, but I don't just hand them stuff and say "lets begin".

There's too much session play there being by passed up imo.  Using those basic needs as the first couple few sessions allows you to award xp and by the time they have kinda got themselves kitted out they also have some xp and are feeling a little competent with their characters.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who starts everyone off with nothing but the clothes on their backs. It's very important to me as a GM to feel like characters are earning their keep; and I feel like players appreciate whatever they can get when they put effort into gaining even the simplest things. I tend to compensate later on by offering a really unique or valuable reward, but it's never a front-end-loaded deal.

So: no starting ships for anyone, basic weapons, and very little money. They can take and plunder and buy what they can get as they go.

But it sounds like Obligation is gonna be your way to go for mechanics.

I typically give PCs 500 credits in their pockets, a basic starter weapon of their choice, a tool of their trade if applicable, ie Medic gets a Medpac, Mechanic a Toolkit, etc.  

Now depending on the starting circumstances there might be other stuff readily at hand.  In the temple scenario we would begin right at post calamity, so I'd probably let them do a Survival check to scavenge working gear, and/or a Mechanics check to repair gently damaged stuff applicable to a archaeological dig.

I've run a number of adventures from each book on their own. I'm about to start my first game with a cross-book party. Nothing is in stone yet, but I have 2 players leaning towards AoR characters,1 player with EotE, and 1 with FaD. How is everyone else dealing with options for starting rewards, such as a freighter,star fighters,base of operations, mentor/holocron? I want to make sure every character feels like they got a suitable and fair start.

Very dependent on the core focus. If it's a rebellion cell, with one of them a jedi, and the other an Edge trump card tailing them, for example... you should concentrate on the starting assets of a cell, an HQ or some main contact (like a Master from F&D).