Sign in to follow this  
Darkcloak

40k superseded?

Played a game of 40k last night. 500 points.

I flubbed it so I could hurry up and lose and maybe play X-Wing afterwards.

Anyone else feeling like this? I mean 40k was fun, I still enjoy it but...

... Space ships! Amirite?

Are there any other GW players out there and if so, how do you feel about your hobbies and if you had to pick one which one would it be?

Like you said SPACE SHIPS!!!

Give me morrr SPACE SHIPS

I have read this all with interest. I've come late to X-wing but am a total convert. As a father of soon to be 2 I have found a massive pinch on my pocket and my time and, as a (once) utter 40K devotee, I have felt the sting of the destruction of that which I loved...anyway. Point is that I have played and enjoyed X-wing a great deal of late and it really has filled the void. I have recently sold the bulk of my 40K stuff and bought one of everything up to wave 7 and the new starter a couple of times. What is worth pointing out is that I sold some old GW stuff for knock-down money and I could easily afford to turn that into an immense new collection with change to service the car. I worry that perhaps this game doesn't have legs but am convinced that, for me at least, 40K is utterly crippled beyond help...so long live X-wing, my new joy.

... I mean, the point of a game is to have a good time, right?

With you on this. ☺. Honestly it's about the fun I have interacting with other people and seeing how they see the situations in the game.

New bloodthirster model... $220au

New tau battlesuit model..... $250au

Yay!

Anyway, I'm actually really surprised the main point debated in this thread is cost and not value.

how can anyone think cost of x-wing is even close to 40k? I see a lot of "most expensive x wing" vs "least expensive 40k" shenanigans going on.

The fact is, a lot of us enjoy the modelling aspect of hobby. There is more hobby value in a gw model than an x-wing one. But game wise, a single model in x-wing can be used in SO MANY different ways. A single space marine might cost less than a small ship, but you need a least 5 in a unit, it must be WYSIWYG for tourneys, and it makes up only the tiniest fraction of your total list.

I still have a soft spot for 40k, but I'm the position where i have 2 huge armies that dont need updating (apart from the grav guns)

Either one of those armies would buy me the entire X-wing range......twice.....at least

Painted up 4k points worth of Necrons and 4k points worth of Khorne and Nurgle Daemons and have at least 2k points worth of Imperial Guard sitting waiting for it to do something.  Problem is the game is such a chore to play.  I love the models (especially chaos daemons) but I just can't find people to play nor can I encourage other to play because of cost and complexity of the rules.

I have converted to Xwing because me and my buddy can get a game in of xwing in the same time we would just setting up a 40k game, it's a lot more steamlined, it's easier to play, the models are great, it's Star Wars space combat and it's just plain ol' fun.  I'll always love my Chaos Daemons, though they may just be on display the rest of their lives.

Most of the people I know never got beyond undercoating their models.

Yeah.... that's where the majority of my collection is at.  Assembled (often painstakingly kitbashed), based, undercoated... and say in a cupboard gathering dust.

I couldn't field an unpainted unit so I'd spend hours making a squad of grey hunters looking great, then my friends would set up unpainted ork armies :(

I couldn't go back to 40k now 3-4 hours to play a game versus three games of x-wing's at a leisurely pace there's no comparison.

Well a glance at the GW site sums it all up nicely. New toys, higher prices and half of it is out of stock already. New Tau can't be that awesome that all the gimps (that's the spess mahreen talking sorry) are buying them all out.

Its just a mess. I see the beloved Lizar-BLAM!- Star Magic Lizzie's have finally been rereleased. Nothing new though, just a couple crappy monopose characters and round bases for everyone. Somehow that makes Skinks worth that much, I dunno.

$170 for 10 Marines and a Speeder. Hell.

Sometimes you gotta shoot em Ol Yeller style. Sometimes they just go off an' die elsewhere.

Thanks for not bleeding on the carpet on the way out GW.

Just my two cents.

I used to play 40K second edition, a lot. I tried the third edition but it looked too much watered down and dull for my taste. Then, I dropped as I did not have the time, and most of all, I did not like the rules. In those years, the last releases form GW were about milking players. Does anyone remember the Culexus Assassin? Also the psychic phase disappeared, the ultimate force card vanished. The Multimelta did not roll 2d12 anymore. Mah. It felt just less...epic. So I dropped. 

I started playing X-Wing 8 months, ago. I find the game exciting, and fun. It is very easy to play and to set up. It is far less expensive than 40K, in my opinion. For me its is a 100% and I am back into a miniature game (mostly because of the visual part...flying ships in formation...just very epic). I am really saddened that GW is doing bad, but GW cannot go on selling models forever, and making crap video games (most of the times).

Probably, X-Wing will not last forever but I know for sure if FFG starts releasing waves form EPISODE I-II-III, it will be a quick death.

An old nerd.

If prequel content makes it in, I want three of the LAAT/I Transport Gunships. I would be stoked. And strangely in our meta 'live people talk' is majority in favor of prequel content. Directly opposite what this forum would have you believe.

And what kind of ship Jar Jar Jinx would be assigned to? Clone wars are cool, Jar Jar whatever is not.

@Shibumi J-type Nubian would probably be a good home for him, he would have to be crew only after all. I once hypothesized a 'Queens Gambit' box set that has a Naboo starfighter, and two Droid starfighters as a kind of prequel faction pack like Most Wanted. Seems more plausible after the latest starter set.

I should note that, for me, the best way to scratch my grimdark / 40k itch is to play the game that got me into the universe in the first place:

Space Hulk

It is everything that 7th edition 40k is not: balanced rules, interesting and diverse scenarios, true moments of excitement and dramatic tension, lots of meaningful tactical decisions to make. And it all fits in one large box. It's not cheap as far as boardgames go, but for $125 US (assuming you paid full MSRP) you're good to go... so it's way cheaper than 40k, for sure.

Now if only GW would keep that in production so you could get it for a reasonable price...

Plenty on eBay for ~$100 US, it's not hard to find at all IMHO.

I'm guessing Deathrain may not be aware, because unless you follow 40k centered websites or GW itself you wouldn't, that GW reprinted the 2008 edition of Space Hulk last year, plus a few additional tile types. For now anyway it's still not a '$300 on eBay for even a used copy' type deal, though who knows for how long. It seems like they printed way more this time around than last.

It starts at 100€ for a German version (which I would prefer, so I can play with the people in my area without language barrier), I can get 2-3 other boardgames for that which are just as awesome, not to mention X-Wing stuff. I am a student, so my budget is limited. I am afraid that when i get around to buying Space Hulk it will be unaffordable because GW doesn't want to reasonably reprint it.

X-Wing is growing in popularity; absolutely no doubt about that. And a big part of that is the straight out of the box gaming experience it provides. Great rules, and ok quality pre-painted miniatures.

But is it cheap in comparison to 40k? If you only buy the bits you need from online re-sellers or proxy cards then yes; definitely. However, if you prefer to buy all of the ships you need to build your 100 pt squad use Randolph's Han Shopped First calculator to see how much you're deluding yourself.

Is X-Wing outselling GW products like 40k? Who knows. FFG are an American Subsidiary of the French Games Company Asmodee, and as they publish their annual returns in America; they are not legally obliged to break their sales down into component parts. So whilst it may be entirely reasonable to guess that X-Wing makes up a huge chunk of their profits; unless you're an FFG accountant and are prepared to spill your guts on these here forums; I'm afraid it's all speculation.  

Will Asmodee break down their annual return into component parts so that we can find out exactly how much is generated by X-Wing? Who knows, possibly, but it's more likely it'll be FFG's annual contribution to overall profits that'll be published. 

As for GW profits getting smaller? Either this is lies, or that's just not true. Sorry to disappoint all of you GW haters, but not only are they holding their own; their profits have risen; albeit very, very modestly.

I probably won't be here in 25 years; but I'm pretty much guessing that neither will X-Wing miniatures. It'll be a nostalgic footnote in whatever passes for the interweb in the future.

Cheers

Baaa 

I have a question.

Since i am no economical expert i find the link Baaaa posted in this forum quiet interesting. But i would like someone who knows better than me to explain this to me (because i am no native english speaker and i am really bad in economics). But it appears to me, that GW just made more money than 2014 because the expenses were lower (closing all the centrals around the world and firing people). Or do i see something wrong?

Greetings

H

They reprinted space hulk as a panic move that's why it was £15 more but only had a few missions more.

Obviously given the financial report it like everything else failed.

Space Hulk was my one good GW purchase, I think.

I bought it when it was re-released in 2009 for £60, sold it in 2012 for £185, bought it again in 2014 for £70 (that copy is still sat in my cupboard, sealed and untouched).

Oh no, I tell a lie - I bought 7 Seekers of Slaanesh for £60 and 24 Juan Diaz Daemonettes on ebay for £30.  Sold bpoth lots for £300 combined.  This was back when GW's product was actually worth bidding on.