Sign in to follow this  
Darkcloak

40k superseded?

Played a game of 40k last night. 500 points.

I flubbed it so I could hurry up and lose and maybe play X-Wing afterwards.

Anyone else feeling like this? I mean 40k was fun, I still enjoy it but...

... Space ships! Amirite?

Are there any other GW players out there and if so, how do you feel about your hobbies and if you had to pick one which one would it be?

Since getting into X-Wing at the beginning of the year (took a leap at my FLGS after receiving some gift vouchers for b-day), I haven't touched my 40K.  It's gathering dust on my hobby desk and all I do when I look it is think "I really should get this stuff organised and sell it while there are still some people who play it".

I heard from a X-Wing mate the other day that both GW titles (40K and Fantasy) have dropped out of the Top 5 of most played wargames.  Didn't't surprise me at all.

Many of use are either former or current players of Warhammer 40,000. There is even a former employee of Games Workshop on this forum.

Table top miniature game hobbyist are like any other niche hobbyist. Just like video games it doesn't take that much effort or money to switch from Halo to Call of Duty, it is not too hard to switch from 40k to X-wing. And the one thing all these games have in common is a expansive player vs player environment. You need other players to play against in these games for the most part. Without other players well the game is not that fun, and since X-wing has a growing player base it becomes easier to find players for the growing base instead of the existing one.

For myself I started with Battle Fleet Gothic because I was more of a sci-fi space ship nerd. But I wanted a system that had both space ships with a ground combat element (much like Halo, or Star Wars, even a little Star Trek but not as much as the other two). At the time Warhamemr 40,000 seemed like it was the one game that had all of that. (There was aslo Empire at War but did not do so well.)

Problem is that while there were plenty of Warhammer 40,000 players there was very few BFG players. So I got into Warhammer 40,000 because that was what everyone else was playing. And then GW killed the whole thing off first with BFG then with White Dwarf and 40K going all nutzo along with the prices, and now Fantasy is gone. :(

So I was looking at Firestorm Armada and Planetfall but the problem is the same as was mentioned previously, I just can't find any players. And although firestorm has a unique and integrated story it can't really compete with the fanbase of Star Wars. So I play X-wing instead. :rolleyes:

As for video games the only game that has tried both space and planetary combat was Empire at war. However there is a game Angels fall first that looks promising.

Edited by Marinealver

I quit 40k for X-wing last summer. Haven't missed it. FFG is infinitely better than GW when it comes to developing, maintaining, and balancing rules. GW was always about power creep.

The cost and time committment of this game just suit me better also. Smaller games are easier to setup and quicker pace. If things dont go well for a player, its nice to not have to play through thr next 6 hours of a 40k game just humor yiur opponent. I also glad X-wing doesnt make you consider getting a second job or build an additon to your house to meet the monetary and spatial prerequisites to play.

Two of my gamer friends decided this weekend to call it quits on 40k for similar reasons.

many of us have played WHFB/40K, I guess.

I for my part have a UNHEALTHY big collection of anything elfish, orkish, undead, younameitaslongasitsnospacemarine..

haven't played since a few editions, though. 

xwing does so many things -right- that wh does not, it's not easy where to begin and where to end, should I ever make a pro/con list;

for the most important part: the xwing-community is (for the most part :D) very mature and "nice" - it just is so great to go to xwing-tournaments, having a blast while gaming with good people, having a great time, essentially. 

ANY 40k tournament I have seen, while I enjoyed the chance to play, was really exhausting and at the end of the day I was glad to be home again.

xwing tournies OTOH - the -games- are exhausting, too, but the people are not!

at the end of the day I'd gladly have a beer with the crowd (or two..maybe three.. you know the drill ;)

Edited by WokeUpDead

Since getting into X-Wing at the beginning of the year (took a leap at my FLGS after receiving some gift vouchers for b-day), I haven't touched my 40K.  It's gathering dust on my hobby desk and all I do when I look it is think "I really should get this stuff organised and sell it while there are still some people who play it".

I heard from a X-Wing mate the other day that both GW titles (40K and Fantasy) have dropped out of the Top 5 of most played wargames.  Didn't't surprise me at all.

I knew fantasy was down but not that 40k was no longer in the top 5.

But really even fanboys are struggling to justify GW moves these days each week brings a fresh straw to break another back.

I walked away from the game of 40K completely in mid-2014.  The game wasn't fun then and its hasn't gotten any better since then.  I love that universe, its an amazing Sci-Fi Genre, the models are beautiful albeit expensive, but the game is grossly unbalanced and really no fun at all.

Bring D Weapons, Superheavies and a TON of Psyker dice and you win.  Who cares about fluff?  Who cares about balance?  Just sell more models!  

I really hate what GW did to a game I truly loved.  I know a lot of folks didn't care for 5th Edition, but it easily was the most balanced and fair.  

Wait, where did you get that information. Link to source please? I am curious about the data. :huh:

As for Fantasy well since GW discontinued it of course it would no longer be in the Top 5. Now If Warhammer 40,000 drops from its throne as #1 grossing table top game then I won't be surprised but from Top 5 all together? That means either there are 3 or 4 more equally popular games out there or every table top game from X-wing to Hordes has finally eclipsed it. Last I saw from the data were

1. Warhammer 40,000 GW
  2. Star Wars: X-wing FFG
  3. Warmachine Pvt Press
  4. Hordes Pvt Press
  5. Star Wars: Armada FFG

Wait, where did you get that information. Link to source please? I am curious about the data. :huh:

As for Fantasy well since GW discontinued it of course it would no longer be in the Top 5. Now If Warhammer 40,000 drops from its throne as #1 grossing table top game then I won't be surprised but from Top 5 all together? That means either there are 3 or 4 more equally popular games out there or every table top game from X-wing to Hordes has finally eclipsed it. Last I saw from the data were

1. Warhammer 40,000 GW
  3. Warmachine Pvt Press
  4. Hordes Pvt Press

Yeah last list i saw said the same.

I never liked 40k, but I've never really considered X-wing all that comparable. I used to play WHFB, but got out around the time I moved to CO because Warmachine/Hordes uses a smaller table size, smaller armies and less set up / takedown, and this comported better with my new lifestyle. I honestly don't think X-wing could scratch the same itch, at least for me.

What I do find X-wing cuts into is Magic: The Gathering's space for "games that require an hour or less of my time and a café table." If my wife didn't like Magic so much more than X-wing, I'd likely have all but abandoned the former for the latter (and a dab of Attack Wing as a guilty pleasure).  I'm now at the point where I honestly wrestle a bit with which game to introduce new players to first, and that decision is decided on an individual basis. Warmachine (like Warhammer, and 40k) just doesn't have that level of accessibility.

1. Warhammer 40,000 GW
  3. Warmachine Pvt Press
  4. Hordes Pvt Press

I would be willing to wager that 40k is highest grossing, simply because it's so expensive lol.

From the inside, looking out its a very different perspective.

Most of Games Workshop customers are not gamers. The "game" has always just been another means to sell models.

My best customers, are people who just want cool models, and Games Workshop simply makes the best models.

I've played 40K and Fantasy for the better part of two decades, and have sizable Orc and Imperial Guard armies, and several other more modest forces.  I miss it, but even if I still played the game, I'd miss it, because the stuff they've decided to emphasize is not the stuff I find appealing in the game.  I doubt I'll sell my stuff, if only because I put a lot of effort into it and I think some portion of it is quite nice.  Most of my characters are converted, and I have whole squads of IG troopers that have non-standard equipment and poses.  It means more to me than it would to anybody else, and so I keep them.  If I ever find myself with time to play games like that again (X-wing is a decidedly lighter time commitment), I'd probably look into a variety of alternate rules sets that are cropping up around the net right now.

I especially miss Fantasy.  There's a feeling of commanding an army that game provides that I haven't really experienced.  The problem is that feeling was strongest with mid-range well-balanced armies, and they steadily moved away from that as time went on.

I think WH40K/Whatever-The-Hell-Warhammer-Fantasy-Battle-Has-Become is in trouble.  Doesn't really matter if X-Wing is comparable... It is, in some capacity, obviously taking some eyes away from that other table top game.  Throw in the competition from Warmahordes and that doesn't help, either.  I feel like Games Workshop has long treated their fan base with a level of disregard bordering on contempt, and that's just not a winning recipe IMO. 

Certainly has kept me away.

Take it with a grain of salt, though... My eyes are already so bad I can't hardly paint anything these days.

Long live the X-Wing.

Edited by LordPasty

From the inside, looking out its a very different perspective.

Most of Games Workshop customers are not gamers. The "game" has always just been another means to sell models.

My best customers, are people who just want cool models, and Games Workshop simply makes the best models.

No they make the best game tokens there are plenty of better models out there that cost less but contain much superior detail.

I didn't even play the game, but bought the models because my friends were buying them, and frankly I enjoyed modelling. I liked Mordheim and still consider it my favorite fantasy game.

I don't feel resentment towards GW. Both they and their players have exactly what they deserve. 40k is like scientology or opus dei, when you stop doing it you lose a lot of friends, but it's worth stopping in the end.

GW has plainly stated that they are NOT a rules company (i.e., games company, despite their own name), they are a MINIATURES COMPANY. Their rules are developed for the sole purpose of pushing new miniature product to a hardcore fanbase that buys everything, not to the wargamer crowd who masters an army and cares about tightly-written rules. They have been jacking prices deliberately because they know this small core will buy it no matter the price and they don't care about the other customers. It's truly a singularly insane business model and it comes as no surprise that the best 40K/Fantasty themed games in the last decade are all developed by other companies such as FFG or are their older games such as Blood Bowl and Space Hulk. The only way I'd ever play 40K again is if someone else made it (who gave a **** about parity and balance, not just pushing the latest models via power creep and frequent codex rewrites). GW still does amazing miniature work, but that is it, and the price is prohibitive to say the least.

• Warhammer 40,000 GW
  • Star Wars: X-wing FFG
  • Warmachine Pvt Press
  • Hordes Pvt Press
  • Star Wars: Armada FFG

Most played =/= highest grossing. When 40Ks average unit cost is more than double that of X-wing, it makes sense that even with half the number of players, the gross would still be higher

Im also curious about the source, but zoidberg already told us where he got the info from.

I was a serious 40k player all the way from 3rd edition until June 2015 when my wife told me I was going to be a dad. After that I stopped going to my local GW store because what had previously been my model budget became our nursery fund. I've had fun with every edition of the game but there's no version of 40k that has been as well thought out or as easy to pick up as X-Wing. I'm still friends with a number of the guys from my local GW store, but I don't think I'll be heading back there.