Sign in to follow this  
RebelDave

I think I have made a horrible mistake...

One of my players came up with a wizard Backstory, in that he was part of the Rodian Tetsu clan that fled Rodia when Navik the Red (Yes, all Legends), and placed a death sentence on all Tetsus.

In his backstory, his group he fled with were captured while he was away working.

During a bar scene, just before they set off on their next adventure, I had him run into a couple Rodians who "mistook" him for a member of another hunting crew, and let slip that perhaps some of the PCs friends were alive and being held captive.

I was trying to engage the player, who is very quiet, by using some of the stunning backstory (7 pages of it), and have possibly made a HUGE mistake, as I have no idea where to take this..... it was suggested that his friends were being held on a ship, while they were trying to track the PC down, so they could be shipped back to Rodia to be "made an example of" by Navik the Red, but that the hunters were perhaps getting fed up of this fruitless search.

Help me Forum Goers! You're my only hope!

First, you're not bound by whatever "rumours" the PC may have learned, which means you can provide whatever kind of scenario you want so long as you leave enough breadcrumbs.

So with that out of the way, can you maybe explain what is bothering you about this situation?  If you don't want to address it right away you can always intercept with more "pressing matters", or maybe the leads are false.

Or are you looking for a full adventure/prison rescue?

First, you're not bound by whatever "rumours" the PC may have learned, which means you can provide whatever kind of scenario you want so long as you leave enough breadcrumbs.

So with that out of the way, can you maybe explain what is bothering you about this situation?  If you don't want to address it right away you can always intercept with more "pressing matters", or maybe the leads are false.

Or are you looking for a full adventure/prison rescue?

Yeah, my worry is that I have NO idea what to do if the PC wants to follow the lead.

I kinda dropped that the ship was there (on Nar Shadarr, which is where his friends were taken in his Back Story), and that they were stuck there until they could find the PC (The NPCs were abit drunk, and mistook him for someone else... my wonderful... oooh, great, I can engage this guy with his backstory... mistake).

I have no prep, no setup, no follow up, Nadda.

The PCs are currently on Bespin, playing out Enemy of my Enemy... so I have some time, but I really cant create adventures..

The player has done a fine job creating the story hook himself so far. Let him continue. If and when he wishes to pursue it, let him describe how he's doing that and follow his lead. As you're doing so, some creative bits will likely pop up in your head, and you can run with those too.

But essentially, let the player create his own adventure, and you adjudicate it out.

(The NPCs were abit drunk, and mistook him for someone else... my wonderful... oooh, great, I can engage this guy with his backstory... mistake).

No, not a mistake :) it's what it means to be a GM.  It was a good call.  I think you're just calling it a mistake because suddenly you have to plan something you didn't expect...but that's the nature of the game.  And there's nothing wrong with pulling the player aside if you're not ready and just say "I'm working on it".  At least then the player knows their work didn't go to waste.

I recall you discussing this backstory before, and since it was quite involved, you might want to reward the player with a multi-part endeavour.  In other words, on the surface you could just have a "find the ship, invade the ship, free the prisoners" adventure...but then it's over and resolved.  It might be more rewarding to have this be part of a series.

Anyway...

First thing seems to be to settle why Navik the Red is storing the PC's clan members on the ship.  Maybe instead of "storing" them he's simply transporting them to some slave labour camp, and the drunken sources got it wrong.  Maybe the slave labour camp has other clan members, and this is just the latest shipment.

One option:  the ship is still where the drunken sources said.  A straight-forward assault on the ship nets a few clan members, plus some information on where to find more.

Another option:  the ship has already left, destination unknown.  Getting answers requires hacking into whatever passes for flight control on Nar Shadaa, or bribing officials/janitors/whathaveyou to figure out where the ship is headed.

Fleshed out, those could be a full session, if that's the kind of direction you want to go with it.

Ooooh....... whafrog you always manage to twix my creativity...

they find the ship, sneak on, find noone, but suggestions ton where they MIGHT be being held....

now they need to find where that is.... and ...... maybe they are there, maybe they arn't....

oh dear... thats as far as it went.

One option is to take some time and put a story arc together he and you can follow (as suggested above) ... if it's not something you want to pursue, another option is to use it as an opportunity to lure the player(s) into a location or ship, etc., that his former friends were never there and may never be found, but the "drunk" Rodians were used by someone behind the scenes (an enemy, a former associate, and so forth) to attack them because of a/b/c, or capture them (maybe Navik has a price on his head), or even hire them secretly to do some deed but didn't want to reveal any details until they were in his presence ... so, many things could be used to end the search for his friends if indeed that is your intention.

I think this is a good opportunity to prep a prison break adventure. Worst case scenario the PC wants to pursue it while your working on it. Best case, you already have an adventure planned out, which means a rest break when it comes time for you to prep that game session, it will all be done.

I want to applaud you for being creative during a session and dangling a carrot, that Player will be very excited, even if they don't say so. Don't think of this as a problem, this is a way to give life to the Galaxy around the PC's, it's a great opportunity.

I would suggest that each time you find a way to have a PC specific "side quest" that you create an NPC with a little character that's linked closely to the PC in a good way. This NPC will end up being close to the party after it all finishes. Then loosely plan 3(ish) encounters to be the story arc:

First is the setup, in this case it's confirming the ship is there and finding a way onto it, or tracking where it jumped too.

Second is the plot twist, in this case they storm the ship and rescue some NPC's only to find out there are many more elsewhere in slavery. In this case it could be an asteroid mine or illegal arms factory or something. Put a lieutenant (low strength Nemesis) on it and some minions as guards.

Third is the Conclusion, storm the Mine and free the Slaves. It leaves Navic alive for future things, but gives the PC a sense of accomplishment.

Don't make them overly complex, but try to build them so the invested PC can use their core skills to overcome the obstacles. So if they are combat focused then make a battle out of it. If they are social then give them ways to talk or bribe their way through. If their sneakers then let them sneak in alone and complete the task.

Also be prepared to let the party split up, scale the challenge accordingly if the PC feels they need to do it alone.

I suggest 3 encounters because they could be 1hr of session time each, and spread out over 4 or 5 sessions. This means the PC has that fun continue on for a while. At the same time the rest of the party are not loosing focus of the main plot. And finally it means when you need to do the same for all the other PC's it's not talking over your campaign. Because trust me the other players will see this and enjoy it so much they will be jumping up and down with ideas for their characters!

Good luck and have fun.

Who says the Rodians were telling the truth?  What if they were sent to spread false information, and lure the PC out of hiding.  You stated that this Navik guy had a death sentence for all Tetsu clan.  What better way to lure them in than with a rumor that some Tetsu are being held at a certain place?  To quote a certain Rebel admiral, 'It's a trap!'.
Or perhaps the Rodians are telling the truth....that there is a prison barge with the PC's friends on it.  The PC hauls ass to Nar Shadda, navigates his way to the spaceport where the prison barge is docked, only to see it lift off and fly away.  Now he has to break into the Nar Shadda Ground Control office and get the registry of the Prison Barge, and follow it.  You could even make it a recurring theme through your main campaign...the Rodian gets a little tidbit of information (true or false or trap) that leads him closer to finding the prison barge.
You, sir, have not made a mistake.  You have given this players PC a chance to take center stage, from time to time.  And he will thank you for it.

The PCs are currently on Bespin, playing out Enemy of my Enemy... so I have some time, but I really cant create adventures..

Sure you can. You might need help. But I am sure you can manage it :) Stretch your wings. 

Edited by Daeglan

bull man. You can absolutely create adventures! You've already started. You grabbed something neat from his backstory (Seriously? Seven pages is a LOT) and ran with it.

That's all there is to it. Now you just have to fill in the question of "What happens next?" So if he decides to go check out the rumors you've got a couple basic options

1. His companions are there and the group stages some sort of rescue operation.

2. They aren't there, but there is more evidence leading the group to another location

3. It was a set up for an ambush by some past foe (I'm assuming if he wrote seven pages of backstory there was some antagonist you can snag)

1. Grab a map somewhere and use that as the prison, grab some NPCs out of the CRB, scatter them in there, and let the PCs at it.

2. Solid choice if you want extra time to prepare either of the other choices. Just have them get there and make contact with an NPC in a bar. The group asks some questions, pays a small bribe, and finds out that the companions just left on a shuttle to X

3. This might be my favorite. You get a BBEG, a bunch of minions, and the squad rules out of AOR. This time they still walk into that bar and start asking questions, but they don't get anywhere. After a few minutes they notice a lot of the patrons have cleared out and new people have taken their place around the bar. These new customers all seem to be heavily armed and wearing body armor...Then the door to the back room opens with your BBEG. Bonus points if you get sneaky and the bartender poisons their drinks! Resilience checks all around! Setbacks to combat checks as the group is suddenly very dizzy. It's going to be a ******* ball of a bar brawl!

Ask for player input,,, if Obligations don't come up. Maybe they'd like to earn a quick buck...er... cred by smuggling/transporting cargo or giving people passage to the next system.

When they beat that bad guy roll on the Loot Table - instant cargo to sell in the next system...

or sell to someone, who after buying it off the PCs asks them to deliver to another planet etc ;) and their business rivals intercept it after removing it from their ship...

Edited by DidntFallAsleep66