Sign in to follow this  
hothie

Casually Flying Away

Best of luck at Worlds, then, and whatever you do next. Hopefully we can arrange to meet at some future con, and I can buy you a beer.

Thank you, my friend. Although my cons now are much different than before. 

Hothie,

You have given the community the goal to Fly Casual since year one and the community has grown up around that goal and retains that mindset, going into year 4 of its life.

I want to thank you for doing that. It's made playing this game so much better with people who are also of this mindset.

I am hoping that I make it to Worlds so I can look for you in the lists. I would hate to miss your last time.

Fly Casual

Sergovan

OK, so you will not be playing a lot of tournaments.  And you will be devoting more of your attention, time and money to your "real-life" business.  Bully for you!  So why are you giving up on X-wing and this fine community?  Sounds like you are now in the same boat as the rest of us, just trying to balance our lives, families, friends and livelihood along with our hobbies.  That's life, dude, not the end of the world and certainly no reason to give up completely on something that gives you enjoyment and an excuse to commune with others who share your interests.

Or am I really misreading the point of your OP?

OK, so you will not be playing a lot of tournaments.  And you will be devoting more of your attention, time and money to your "real-life" business.  Bully for you!  So why are you giving up on X-wing and this fine community?  Sounds like you are now in the same boat as the rest of us, just trying to balance our lives, families, friends and livelihood along with our hobbies.  That's life, dude, not the end of the world and certainly no reason to give up completely on something that gives you enjoyment and an excuse to commune with others who share your interests.

I do a lot of traveling for X-wing, and as much as I enjoy meeting new and old friends alike and having fun with them, frankly it costs me a lot of money and time. And as much as I would like to be paid to travel and play X-wing, it isn't ever going to happen.

But what i would like to happen is to start a business doing something that I love, and that is working with LEGO bricks. The money that I spend traveling and buying into this game, which over the past 4 years has been a considerable amount, can be better spent on where I would like my life to be in the future and working towards that goal.

X-wing also takes up a lot of time for me, time that I need to spend on getting my business off the ground. There are only so many hours in the day, and frankly something has to go, and I have decided that X-wing is what needs to be set aside in my life so that I can focus on bigger and better things. I do love this community, and I will be sad to move on, but it needs to happen for me to build a better life for myself.

I do have a hard time balancing X-wing with my life, family, and friends, but as you said, this is a hobby. To me, so is LEGO, but LEGO is hobby that I have the opportunity to make into a business. The same cannot be said for X-wing.

I don't make this decision lightly, but I feel it is the right one. I have enjoyed playing X-wing and being a member of this community, but my focus is shifting now to where I want my life to be. I just can't devote the resources to this game that I have in the past, so I have to give it up to be able to move on.

I do a lot of traveling for X-wing, and as much as I enjoy meeting new and old friends alike and having fun with them, frankly it costs me a lot of money and time. And as much as I would like to be paid to travel and play X-wing, it isn't ever going to happen.

But what i would like to happen is to start a business doing something that I love, and that is working with LEGO bricks. The money that I spend traveling and buying into this game, which over the past 4 years has been a considerable amount, can be better spent on where I would like my life to be in the future and working towards that goal.

X-wing also takes up a lot of time for me, time that I need to spend on getting my business off the ground. There are only so many hours in the day, and frankly something has to go, and I have decided that X-wing is what needs to be set aside in my life so that I can focus on bigger and better things. I do love this community, and I will be sad to move on, but it needs to happen for me to build a better life for myself.

I do have a hard time balancing X-wing with my life, family, and friends, but as you said, this is a hobby. To me, so is LEGO, but LEGO is hobby that I have the opportunity to make into a business. The same cannot be said for X-wing.

I don't make this decision lightly, but I feel it is the right one. I have enjoyed playing X-wing and being a member of this community, but my focus is shifting now to where I want my life to be. I just can't devote the resources to this game that I have in the past, so I have to give it up to be able to move on.

Any FLGS's in your area that hold regular events? Surely you could make it one night a week.

Hey Hothie - 

I totally get it. I'm doing the same thing (not legos, but my practice).  

Thanks for all your positive energy here, and especailly back during the SWM days.

Be well, and much success!