Sign in to follow this  
WWPDSteven

My first Wave 2 Battle Report

Had an ISD and friends vs an MC80 led Rebel force. http://www.wwpd.net/2015/10/star-wars-armada-first-wave-2-game-mc80.html

Finally, Opponent Prime Sean and I had massed our fleets and unleashed the Capital Ships in the sector. After countless border skirmishes, the time had come to draw out the fleet commanders. Read on as Vader and Ackbar square off. Will the Imperial will be done, or will the freedom fighters score a much needed victory against the Empire?

IMG_7372.JPG

Check it out!

Edited by WWPDSteven

Question about ISD color scheme: is it similiar to the Vics one or the Gladiators one? I cannot understand why they did this difference.

My ISD color scheme is a little more "whitish" compared to the Gladiators, which have a slightly darker grey-ish hue to them.  (In other words, about what you see in the photo above)

Edited by Rocmistro

No Demolisher and no ACMs on the Gladiators made me sad. Having faced a similar rebel build, the firepower from 2-3 AFs and an Ackbar MC80 is absurd, and if you cannot take out at least 1 frigate in round 3 then the game is most likely lost for the imperial player. XI7s or HTTs on the ISD are almost mandatory to have a chance of doing crippling damage to enemy ships (with an advantage to XI7).

Looks like the assault frigate conga line just got even beefier with the addition of the MC80.  In retrospect, could the imperial player have positioned his ships better to avoid the ISD getting absolutely hammered? 

What if, instead of heading towards the middle of the line, he had instead, tried to aim everything he had at the tail end of the line?  I.E. took a turn or two to swing wide and try to come at the formation from the rear, or at least rear-ish?  We used to say that you never wanted to park your ship in the SD's front arc.  I'd now say the same for the MC80 and the assault frigate's side arcs.   

Looks like the assault frigate conga line just got even beefier with the addition of the MC80. In retrospect, could the imperial player have positioned his ships better to avoid the ISD getting absolutely hammered?

What if, instead of heading towards the middle of the line, he had instead, tried to aim everything he had at the tail end of the line? I.E. took a turn or two to swing wide and try to come at the formation from the rear, or at least rear-ish? We used to say that you never wanted to park your ship in the SD's front arc. I'd now say the same for the MC80 and the assault frigate's side arcs.

Or the alternative of going hard on navigate commands early to hard turn, try to stay completely out of range, and drive for the front of the conga line (ahead)? I'm thinking if a conga line is likely drop a glad or a raider in the middle, try to see what direction they intend to go, then load for the likely destination. Very much in this game you have to "lead your shots", plan to engage ahead of where the enemy is now. Edited by Indomitable

I know at least one person who's doubling on Gladiators, so they can have Demolisher head into the middle of the line to break it up, and still have Insidious chasing the Conga Line from the Rear...  Expecting to have an ISD or at least a VSD positioned well ahead of where the Conga line is going to act as a Wall there...

I wish I could get out to see games how it would play...  Theory is okay, but its that dicerolling practice in the heat of the moment that makes or breaks, which is why I love reading Battle Reports like this so much  :D

Edited by Drasnighta

I am confused by the ISD builds I have been seeing lately. Devastator seems like the worst and most expensive title to use, also without XI7's, or Needa is kinda big waste of points, especially against the heavily shielded MonCal/Assaults.

Rebels seem to be able to create a quick and effective list with Ackbar + (Insert broadside ship here), but seriously Common IMPS! Get your act together :P

Thanks for the batrep, great to see wave 2 in action. This game is going to open up so many more possible builds and tactics when wave 2 drops - it should feel like a much more complete experience.

Having said that XI7s, ECMs and Ackbar will be regular features of most battles I suspect!

EDIT: typo

Edited by Mundo

Thanks for the batrep, great to see wave 2 in action. This game is going to open up so many more possible builds and tactics when wave 2 drops - it should feel like a much more complete experience.

Having said that XI7s, ECMs and Ackbar will be regular features of most battles I suspect!

EDIT: typo

I don't know. I have tried many different lists and there are tons of options. I did a Dodonna list with a MC80 Independence, an Assault Frigate, and a CR90B to have an extra activation. They were assisted by Nym, an base HWK, 2 B- Wings, Tycho, and 2 A-Wings. It was a good list but combat was joined faster than I thought so Independence was not used