Sign in to follow this  
Blackbird888

Keeping the Peace preview

Part of that is the Rebellion we see on the show is split into cells rather than grouped together as a single fleet. It's not that there aren't Y-Wings or X-Wings out there, it's that Commander Sato's crew runs A-Wings.

Except the A-Wing wasn't even designed until after the battle of Yavin!  One more thing Disney apparently retcon'd without even realizing it.

While it's newer material, seeing as the Jedi starfighter looks like a precursor to the A-Wing, I'd be surprised if that was the case.  And it's not a change that really effects anything.

I don't know but I was hoping to find out for sure. ne thing I do know is that I am often surprised by what ships do turn up in a book. I never would have expected the IR3-F in the FAD core as one example.

What's so odd to me is why everyone seems to be trying to hide the non-VCX-100 ships in this book. Usually if I ask what ships are in a book a list is posted within a few hours, if the list hasn't been posted before I find the discussion topic. And this topic has lists for other categories posted so I don't understand why listing the ships and vehicles is such a big issue..

Landspeeders

• D-4 Mobile Defense Platform
  • D-4S Projection Platform

Walkers

• Rufescent Cargo Hauler

Wheeled Vehicles

• Tsmeu-6 Personal Wheel Bike

Starfighters

• Blade-32 Superiority Fighter
  • M12-L Kimogila Heavy Starfighter
  • Miy'til Starfighter

Freighters

• Barloz-Class Medium Freighter
  • ND-47 Stalwart Bulk Freighter
  • Barrage Gunship
  • Penumbra Stealth Freighter
  • VCX-100 Light Freighter

Any chance you could give some info on these? Not asking for stats, just never heard of them.

I think the increasing inventory of stealth ships across all three lines is getting a little out of hand though.

Hadn't noticed.

I like that they added another talent that gives conflict. Though I think we need more of those Force talents. Like the Temple guardian equipment. Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned the new Force power presented.

Headhunters and Y-Wings were both in The Clone Wars we just haven't seen them in Rebels yet because the group of rebels we are following doesn't have them currently.

And the pre-WEG droids cartoon showed craft that looked just like A-Wings and others that looked just like B-Wings in service in 15 BBY but WEG ignored the prescence of the ships when it wrote the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook. In turn the writers of the X-Wing and Empire at War games felt free to ignore WEG and this eventually led to the creation of the older R-22 Spearhead, which looked just like an A-Wing, was used by the early Alliance, and nicknamed A-Wing by its pilots in the rebellion along with the H-60 Tempest which looked just like a B-Wing.

Disney just decided to have the A-Wing and B-Wing be pre-A New Hope craft rather then deal with the old mess.

Part of that is the Rebellion we see on the show is split into cells rather than grouped together as a single fleet. It's not that there aren't Y-Wings or X-Wings out there, it's that Commander Sato's crew runs A-Wings.

Except the A-Wing wasn't even designed until after the battle of Yavin!  One more thing Disney apparently retcon'd without even realizing it.

Not really a retcon. As the Droids cartoon had them...

The origin of the a wing and b wing has never been in canon since disney introduced us to legends. In fact as about 90% of the ffg fluff material is taken from legends. It isnt canon either.

TIE fighters had no life support until Rebels and the new film made that particular ability canon

I don't know but I was hoping to find out for sure. ne thing I do know is that I am often surprised by what ships do turn up in a book. I never would have expected the IR3-F in the FAD core as one example.

What's so odd to me is why everyone seems to be trying to hide the non-VCX-100 ships in this book. Usually if I ask what ships are in a book a list is posted within a few hours, if the list hasn't been posted before I find the discussion topic. And this topic has lists for other categories posted so I don't understand why listing the ships and vehicles is such a big issue..

Landspeeders

Walkers

• Rufescent Cargo Hauler

Wheeled Vehicles

Starfighters

• Miy'til Starfighter

Freighters

• Barrage Gunship

Any chance you could give some info on these? Not asking for stats, just never heard of them.

I think the increasing inventory of stealth ships across all three lines is getting a little out of hand though.

Hadn't noticed.

Each line now has its own Stealth Freighter, and at this point they seem to just be ignoring the "No ship that size has a cloak line." from ESB and AOR has a rebel Stealth fighter now as well.

The Blade-32 was from the ninth X-Wing novel and was the currently most advanced fighter produced on the planet the book was focused on. The Kimogila was an Independent use starfighter commonly used by Hutt allied forces from Star Wars Galaxies. And the Miy'til is the primary fighter of the Hapes Consortium, a decently sized interstellar matriarchy from the Legends setting that first appeared in Courtship of Princess Leia but also appeared in a number of later novels.

I believe that the Stalwart class is from the WEG material but AFAIK you never saw a stock version in that material. I think the Barrage Gunship and the Penumbra are both FFG creations.

I do however have one complaint. As much as I am a fan of different lightsabres (and the double sabre in particular) I wasn't exactly ok with the introduction of a new double sabre that is pretty much better than the old in almost every way but doesn't really cost that much more. It kinda becomes a no brainer on which one the PC should strive for. Same kinda goes for the tonfa shoto (though they at least loose Accurate). I'm really hoping that this isn't a trend that we'll see better and more bad ass lightsabres as the books are released that pretty much make the standard ones offered in the book look inferior by comparison. 

So did anyone notice the Kimogila is silhouette 4?

EDIT: and the Miy'til is silhouette 2?

That's got to be a typo.  Isn't the average snub fighter S3?  Including the B-Wing?

I do however have one complaint. As much as I am a fan of different lightsabres (and the double sabre in particular) I wasn't exactly ok with the introduction of a new double sabre that is pretty much better than the old in almost every way but doesn't really cost that much more. It kinda becomes a no brainer on which one the PC should strive for. Same kinda goes for the tonfa shoto (though they at least loose Accurate). I'm really hoping that this isn't a trend that we'll see better and more bad ass lightsabres as the books are released that pretty much make the standard ones offered in the book look inferior by comparison. 

I would argue though that the Temple Guard saber is significantly more difficult to acquire. First off, you have to have been aware that the temple guard even existed. If your character was a youngling during the clone wars I guess that isn't a problem. However, if you weren't exceptionally familiar with the Jedi Order before order 66, then chances are you have no idea the temple guard existed. Then you have to possibly know where one could be. This is even more difficult, as the temple guards were entirely anonymous, making it nigh impossible to find a Jedi in hiding in possession of one. Temple guards probably didn't even know who was behind the other guards' masks. The only lead I can imagine someone having is that the temple guard operated mainly in the Jedi temple on Coruscant. Good luck sneaking in a group of force sensitives into one of the most anti force user areas in the galaxy. Even if you were able to sneak into the old Jedi temple on Coruscant, chances are you wouldn't find one. One of the Guards' main duties was to guard the temple, and during order 66, there was almost definitely a large force trying to take over the temple. Fleeing the scene while taking the mantle as a Jedi Temple Guard is most likely considered an act of cowardice. It's reasonable to assume that all of the guards went down with the ship.

The main point of this post is, if a PC is able to acquire this incredibly rare lightsaber/lightsaber hilt, they seriously deserve it, because the act of acquiring one seems fitting as a full story arc. :)

Also temple guards were living, breathing example of how a Jedi should act. Their garb as well of their masks exemplify the fact that the Jedi, at least before order 66, were supposed to sever almost all emotional connections. As a GM I personally would do something narratively interesting if the user of the saber becomes too emotional. Perhaps the blade turns off if too much emotion is present in the user. Just an interesting thought.

Edit: Had to fix some grammar.

Edited by Chxckmate

So did anyone notice the Kimogila is silhouette 4?

EDIT: and the Miy'til is silhouette 2?

That's got to be a typo.  Isn't the average snub fighter S3?  Including the B-Wing?

Maybe not.  The Miy'til is noted as being very small for a starfighter, being under 8 meters in both length and width, where as the TIE fighter is almost 9 meters in length and substantially taller based upon the ion panels.

FFG has made some design choices with ships that others have said "Oh, this must be a mistake" when it was very much intentional.  HWK-290 in X-Wing being one instance.

Personally, I'd think it should probably be on the very low end of Silhouette 3, but that's just me.  I doubt these will ever show up in my games, so kind of a moot point.

So you want better lightsabers then the common ones or not? :P

As Chxckmate suggested, every item is a story onto itself, which IS the trend for gear in career books, gear that tell a story, a story of acquiring one or using one that is.

Edited by RusakRakesh

First off, you have to have been aware that the temple guard even existed. 

I don't think you got the point of my objection. It doesn't matter if the PC is aware they exist. If you sit down and think about there is nothing about lightsabres that most PC's would know. There's no way for a PC to know that if he installed a Krayt Dragon Pearl instead of a regular Illum crystal he'd get a completely different kind of weapon. The entire premise then becomes the player picks out his dream sabre and then the GM and the player work out how the player will eventually get it. That can be as hard and as challenging as the GM wishes but at the end of the day the PC doesn't know much about what he'd want in an ideal sabre and will learn as he goes along. But the player will always have a clear idea of what he wants for his PC's lightsabre.

My beef with it is that I don't agree with them releasing clearly superior lightsabre designs than the standards offered in the core book. I don't like the idea of a lightsabre arms race in which each book releases even better and better and better designs than the previous book. But the tonfa shoto and the Temple Guardian sabre are better than their core book counterparts. 

So you want better lightsabers then the common ones or not?  :P

As Chxckmate suggested, every item is a story onto itself, which IS the trend for gear in career books, gear that tell a story, a story of acquiring one or using one that is.

I don't want a sabre's arms race. Also, I don't really buy the whole "it's a story onto itself". Every lightsabre is a story onto itself. Gaining the hilt, or the plans for the hilt, the crystal, all the components. Every lightsabre has it's own story to tell. Since this is true of the normal lightsabres offered in the book it doesn't counterbalance the ones offered up in Keepers of the Peace. I already assumed there would be an adventure behind it. There would be an adventure behind getting just a normal double bladed lightsabre. There would be an adventure behind getting the first crystal. And then an adventure behind getting your ideal crystal. When all lightsabres, no matter how they are constructed, are rare artifacts the adventure aspect doesn't do anything to serve as a counterweight to the benefits of the new sabre design. 

I don't get the lightsaber fetishism. It's a great weapon, but I certainly don't see them as being characters and needing 'personality' and back story. I also don't agree that they're impossible to buy or to find technical knowledge covering. Sure, they're very rare and Restricted, but that's it.

Could it be possible if someone could provide me with the wound and strain thresholdsc and starting XP of the Whiphids species? I'm thinking about creating a character for tonight when I get together with friends.

It would be very appreciated.

Landspeeders

Walkers

• Rufescent Cargo Hauler

Wheeled Vehicles

Starfighters

• Miy'til Starfighter

Freighters

• Barrage Gunship

Hadn't noticed.

Each line now has its own Stealth Freighter, and at this point they seem to just be ignoring the "No ship that size has a cloak line." from ESB and AOR has a rebel Stealth fighter now as well.

The Blade-32 was from the ninth X-Wing novel and was the currently most advanced fighter produced on the planet the book was focused on. The Kimogila was an Independent use starfighter commonly used by Hutt allied forces from Star Wars Galaxies. And the Miy'til is the primary fighter of the Hapes Consortium, a decently sized interstellar matriarchy from the Legends setting that first appeared in Courtship of Princess Leia but also appeared in a number of later novels.

I believe that the Stalwart class is from the WEG material but AFAIK you never saw a stock version in that material. I think the Barrage Gunship and the Penumbra are both FFG creations.

Stealth is not the same as cloak. Take a look at the Phantom in Stay on Target. That is a cloak. They work different than stealth.  

I don't get the lightsaber fetishism. It's a great weapon, but I certainly don't see them as being characters and needing 'personality' and back story. I also don't agree that they're impossible to buy or to find technical knowledge covering. Sure, they're very rare and Restricted, but that's it.

It works when certain characters have their 'Vera', but I've never found more than one in a group that leans that way.  Usually, the emphasis is one what one does with their gear, rather on where it came from.

Spending partial XP on a new trait or skill in exchange being able to use it with restrictions (such as all difficulties are upgraded or you must spend a destiny point in order to try - with it being counted as the single DP that you can spend on a roll).

Overall, I'm interested in them, but I don't want to really comment until I try them in game with my players. I won't be doing that, however, until they get more comfortable with the basic rules.