Sign in to follow this  
Blackbird888

Keeping the Peace preview

It's a cartoon for children. It also features a B-wing with a miniature Deathstar cannon.

They killed off the most interesting character in the first season. They murder tons of faceless stormtroopers that were just working security, but Ahsoka won't kill the two Inquisitors that were attacking and stealing babies. I have trouble suspending my belief when watching it.

While I agree that Rebels has inserted some ridiculous things into the SW universe (and I personally ignore the B-Wing super-beam entirely), it is still canon.  It was pretty obvious that Ahsoka was toying with the Inquisitors.  She outclassed them by such a degree, that killing them would have been more an execution then death via combat.  So maybe she didn't want the Conflict points!?  :P

Maybe but honestly while it is nice its presence is not a must buy now feature for me, and there many other ship classes whose presence would be a must buy now feature for me.

(For example originally the only FFG book on the Christmas list I gave my RPG group was Strongholds of Resistance but I  added Mask of the Pirate Queen after finding out the Cutlass-9 Fighter and Interceptor-IV Frigate were it it. And I would have added it for either even if the Interceptor-IV was a massive disappointment.)

And since I'm basically my group's oracle of all things ship related if its presence doesn't make the book a must buy now for me I doubt it will for any of the other members. I'm seeing a lot of cool stuff listed but nothing we can't do without for a couple of months. However I want to make sure there isn't some thing that would tip it into buy now territory that I haven't heard of yet before we get together and go see the film as a group tomorrow because that's when we'll decide whether to send someone on the almost 4 hour trip to get it or just wait and have someone order it off the web in a month or two.

I would have them order it off the web now as opposed to two months from now. I'm very excited for the information in the book. There are a couple other ships. I'm not sure whether they few listed will be that relevant to what you have planned. There are great resources in the book but if no one is interested in playing a guardian or crafting armor, it may not be a huge priority yet.

I don't know but I was hoping to find out for sure. ne thing I do know is that I am often surprised by what ships do turn up in a book. I never would have expected the IR3-F in the FAD core as one example.

What's so odd to me is why everyone seems to be trying to hide the non-VCX-100 ships in this book. Usually if I ask what ships are in a book a list is posted within a few hours, if the list hasn't been posted before I find the discussion topic. And this topic has lists for other categories posted so I don't understand why listing the ships and vehicles is such a big issue..

I consider the B-Wing super laser a prototype that didn't work.  So the finalized ones don't have it.

Quarrie even says as much, that the "blade-wing" was a prototype, and thus by implication there were a lot of bugs that needed to be worked out.  The superlaser was deemed one of those bugs (too expensive and problematic for too little benefit on a mass-produced ship) and phased out of the production model.

I don't know but I was hoping to find out for sure. ne thing I do know is that I am often surprised by what ships do turn up in a book. I never would have expected the IR3-F in the FAD core as one example.

What's so odd to me is why everyone seems to be trying to hide the non-VCX-100 ships in this book. Usually if I ask what ships are in a book a list is posted within a few hours, if the list hasn't been posted before I find the discussion topic. And this topic has lists for other categories posted so I don't understand why listing the ships and vehicles is such a big issue..

Landspeeders

• D-4 Mobile Defense Platform
  • D-4S Projection Platform

Walkers

• Rufescent Cargo Hauler

Wheeled Vehicles

• Tsmeu-6 Personal Wheel Bike

Starfighters

• Blade-32 Superiority Fighter
  • M12-L Kimogila Heavy Starfighter
  • Miy'til Starfighter

Freighters

• Barloz-Class Medium Freighter
  • ND-47 Stalwart Bulk Freighter
  • Barrage Gunship
  • Penumbra Stealth Freighter
  • VCX-100 Light Freighter

Thanks I was hoping for some kind of capship but it is sill a very nice array of goodies. Plus Starfighters of Adumar is the favorite Star Wars novel of one of our GMs so I'm sure he will vote to get it now.

I think the increasing inventory of stealth ships across all three lines is getting a little out of hand though.

It's a cartoon for children. It also features a B-wing with a miniature Deathstar cannon.

They killed off the most interesting character in the first season. They murder tons of faceless stormtroopers that were just working security, but Ahsoka won't kill the two Inquisitors that were attacking and stealing babies. I have trouble suspending my belief when watching it.

While I agree that Rebels has inserted some ridiculous things into the SW universe (and I personally ignore the B-Wing super-beam entirely), it is still canon.  It was pretty obvious that Ahsoka was toying with the Inquisitors.  She outclassed them by such a degree, that killing them would have been more an execution then death via combat.  So maybe she didn't want the Conflict points!?  :P

And if we want to further digress into what Rebels has done to canon starship lore, one could easily point out that in Rebels, the fleet has A-wings before we have even seen Headhunters,Y-Wings or even X-Wings.  The later I understand as X-wings were a relatively new ship for Ep.IV. But Y-wings are a follow-on to one of the Clone Wars ships (name is escaping me now) and the Headhunters are scatter every where across the outerrim. Both of which were iconic staples in the early stages of the rebel fleet. AND the A-wings were originally not brought into service until after the destruction of the first Death Star. A response to needing a faster, lighter ship for trench runs and to combat the evasive Tie Interceptors. 

So, yea. I think it is fair to say that Disney is take quite the liberal brush with its artistic license. All we can do is hold one and try to enjoy the ride. 

Edited by Arrakus

Headhunters and Y-Wings were both in The Clone Wars we just haven't seen them in Rebels yet because the group of rebels we are following doesn't have them currently.

And the pre-WEG droids cartoon showed craft that looked just like A-Wings and others that looked just like B-Wings in service in 15 BBY but WEG ignored the prescence of the ships when it wrote the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook. In turn the writers of the X-Wing and Empire at War games felt free to ignore WEG and this eventually led to the creation of the older R-22 Spearhead, which looked just like an A-Wing, was used by the early Alliance, and nicknamed A-Wing by its pilots in the rebellion along with the H-60 Tempest which looked just like a B-Wing.

Disney just decided to have the A-Wing and B-Wing be pre-A New Hope craft rather then deal with the old mess.

Edited by RogueCorona

I consider the B-Wing super laser a prototype that didn't work.  So the finalized ones don't have it.

Yes, it was obviously a waste of resources to build a single ship that could destroy a star destroyer.

If they had brought a dozen of them to Yavin IV, they wouldn't have needed to go down the Deathstar Trench, they could have just blown the crap out of the surface of the Deathstar 1 chunk at a time.

It is a weapon that disables its fighter's hyperdrive if used. Not a good idea for a rebellion relying on hit and run tactics.

A single B-Wing super-laser, one-shot a light cruiser.  A dozen of them could take out an Imperial Star Destroyer.  Not having a hyperdrive is a very small price for such firepower (more then a frigate and corvette combined).  Another question for you though, why not mount the super-laser on rebel corvettes, frigates, etc?  Their larger reactors should allow capital ships to use the super-laser and still have operational hyperdrives.  The rebels wouldn't need hit and run tactics if all their ships were sporting these weapons.

It is a weapon that disables its fighter's hyperdrive if used. Not a good idea for a rebellion relying on hit and run tactics.

A single B-Wing super-laser, one-shot a light cruiser.  A dozen of them could take out an Imperial Star Destroyer.  Not having a hyperdrive is a very small price for such firepower (more then a frigate and corvette combined).  Another question for you though, why not mount the super-laser on rebel corvettes, frigates, etc?  Their larger reactors should allow capital ships to use the super-laser and still have operational hyperdrives.  The rebels wouldn't need hit and run tactics if all their ships were sporting these weapons.

I'm calling this one an "Oversized Weapon Mount" attachment that gave this thing the equivalent of a turbolaser on a fighter, and Hera's good enough with Gunnery that she scored a nasty series of crits on the thing, with the element of surprise granting a Boost Die or two, and her allies passing quite a few of them and some upgrades to her as well. Let's also not forget the Silhouette difference making the check super easy. I bet if you could mount a whopping huge turbolaser on a fighter with a good gunner, you'd see similar results.

I mean, if you want to get game-ey about it.

Edited by drbraininajar

And if we want to further digress into what Rebels has done to canon starship lore, one could easily point out that in Rebels, the fleet has A-wings before we have even seen Headhunters,Y-Wings or even X-Wings.  The later I understand as X-wings were a relatively new ship for Ep.IV. But Y-wings are a follow-on to one of the Clone Wars ships (name is escaping me now) and the Headhunters are scatter every where across the outerrim. Both of which were iconic staples in the early stages of the rebel fleet. AND the A-wings were originally not brought into service until after the destruction of the first Death Star. A response to needing a faster, lighter ship for trench runs and to combat the evasive Tie Interceptors. 

So, yea. I think it is fair to say that Disney is take quite the liberal brush with its artistic license. All we can do is hold one and try to enjoy the ride. 

Part of that is the Rebellion we see on the show is split into cells rather than grouped together as a single fleet. It's not that there aren't Y-Wings or X-Wings out there, it's that Commander Sato's crew runs A-Wings.

Someone mentioned the Guard Shoto needing a high Agility. How high are we talking?

It has "Unwieldy 4".

That's not as big a dealbreaker as it seems. The Unwieldy ability only affects checks using that weapon. If you're the type of character that primarily uses their lightsaber for defense and relies on either their force powers or brawling for offense, you can still get the benefits of Parry and Reflect (as well as Improved Parry and Reflect) out of them.

Someone mentioned the Guard Shoto needing a high Agility. How high are we talking?

It has "Unwieldy 4".

That's not as big a dealbreaker as it seems. The Unwieldy ability only affects checks using that weapon. If you're the type of character that primarily uses their lightsaber for defense and relies on either their force powers or brawling for offense, you can still get the benefits of Parry and Reflect (as well as Improved Parry and Reflect) out of them.

...I hadn't considered that...

Just fight standard Lightsaber and Guard Shoto, and only attack with the standard...huh!

Weellll, the Unwieldy quality describes it as "increase the difficulty of all checks while using the weapon by one". Not just all combat checks with the weapon.

Due to the design of the bloody thing, I'd imagine skill checks could be increased, but combat checks are going to be bad enough.

Part of that is the Rebellion we see on the show is split into cells rather than grouped together as a single fleet. It's not that there aren't Y-Wings or X-Wings out there, it's that Commander Sato's crew runs A-Wings.

Except the A-Wing wasn't even designed until after the battle of Yavin!  One more thing Disney apparently retcon'd without even realizing it.

It has "Unwieldy 4".

...I hadn't considered that...

Just fight standard Lightsaber and Guard Shoto, and only attack with the standard...huh!

Isn't there something about using the more difficult dice pool for either attack when you are doing two weapon combat? I mean, if you wanted to do extra damage and not just hold the shoto for the defense.

Edited by Vulf

Except the A-Wing wasn't even designed until after the battle of Yavin!  One more thing Disney apparently retcon'd without even realizing it.

Considering Pablo Hidalgo is working on Rebels, I doubt anything is being retconned accidentally.