Sign in to follow this  
Blackbird888

Keeping the Peace preview

What are some of the other weapons besides 'sabers?

One Ranged Heavy (Blastech DLS-12 Heavy Blaster Carbine).

Three Ranged Light (Palandrix KO-2 Heavy Stun Pistol, Security S-5 Heavy Blaster, and Site-145 Replica Blaster).

One Brawl (Shield Gauntlet).

Six Melee (Electronet, Energy Buckler, Parrying Dagger, Parrying Vibroknife, Rodian Cryogen Whip, Sith Shield, Snap Baton).

Non lightsaber weapon mods include an overclocker for vibroweapons, a small spotlight for ranged weapons, a magnetic weapon tether for if you get disarmed and don't want to use move to get your weapon back,a shield shock discharge pack to do strain to people hitting you, and a force attuned resonator for ranged weapons that is similar to the gene-lock but requires you to have a force rating.

VCX-100 is underwhelming. It's Silhouette 5 with -3 Handling. Lots of HTT and SST, but Armor 3 and 1/1/1/1 Defense means it'll go through that quickly. For a Silhouette 5, EC 200 seems really low. The three weapon systems are unimpressive. The Sensors top out at Short and it only has 1 month of Consumables. You get 5 Hard Points to play with to try and make this thing attractive, but I suggest just paying the extra 45,000 credits and getting yourself a Gozanti if you want a fairly capable Silhouette 5 ship.

That might work on the far reaches of the outer rim, but in civilized space Ghozabti's seem to only belong to the Empire. Seems a good way to get boarded.

Source? The Gozanti in FFG's line is a civilian vessel. Sure, the Empire makes use of them, but they're not Restricted like the Lambda shuttle.

VCX-100 is underwhelming. It's Silhouette 5 with -3 Handling. Lots of HTT and SST, but Armor 3 and 1/1/1/1 Defense means it'll go through that quickly. For a Silhouette 5, EC 200 seems really low. The three weapon systems are unimpressive. The Sensors top out at Short and it only has 1 month of Consumables. You get 5 Hard Points to play with to try and make this thing attractive, but I suggest just paying the extra 45,000 credits and getting yourself a Gozanti if you want a fairly capable Silhouette 5 ship.

Sil...5?

...huh.  That's...huh...

Maybe a typo? I mean, the Ghost is extensively modified, but it doesn't look that much larger than the Falcon.

Even if it is an error, we haven't seen the fix for the Sentinel for more than a year, so it'll likely stand for a long while.

VCX being sil 5 is just meeh. In every way possible. First starship design foul (in my book). At least regarding silhouette, there's lots of weird stuff out there stat wise, but so far I think they've kept the silhouette stuff pretty ok - I was disappointed by the YZ-775, but I get it. This I don't get. Just poor work by whomever designed it.

That is, I get that it's larger than the Falcon and that it's big, but considering how we see it perform I have a hard time accepting this... unless they now, or in the future, introduce an attachment that allows Sil 5 starships to perform sil <4 manoeuvres and actions (for Strain cost or reduced strain threshold or something). We know it's heavily modified, but all things considered I was thought it was more weaponry, sensor/ID masking, shield, perhaps speed... Hm...

So, there's my first fix of the RAW I think, turn the VCX-100 into a silhouette 4 starship...

As far as the Ghost seeming to be super-nimble, I wonder how much of that is the ship and how much is actually Hera being a down-right amazing pilot.  She's likely got high ranks in Piloting (Space) as well as having multiple ranks in the Skilled Jockey talent, so a -3 Handling for her probably isn't that big of a deal.  In the novel A New Dawn, Kanan (who is no slouch at all as a pilot) is pretty much in awe of Hera's piloting ability, and willingly relegates himself to "not the pilot" when she's around (and that's not solely because he's got the hots for her).

Another question about the VCX-100 is what is the price point?  If it's at or under the 70K mark that denotes a "starting ship" option for a Force and Destiny group, that might explain why the stock version is far less awesome than the Ghost, as the designers don't want a FaD party to start out with a super-awesome ride.

That's not to say I'm against tweaking the RAW stats of a ship; personally I dropped the Ghtroc 720's Armor down by two points and up'd it's Handling to +0, since in all prior appearances the 720 was actually more nimble than a stock YT-1300 while only being a bit more durable, which with a Hull Trauma of 28 vs. the YT-1300's Hull Trauma of 22, it is.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

Oh I agree on Hera's abilities.

I guess it comes down to this: would you (anyone) say the Ghost ever performs any of these silhouette limited manoeuvres or actions (ignore speed requirements for now): Evasive Maneuvers, Gain the Advantage, Stay on Target and/or Punch It?

So far there is no attachment or talent that allows these to be used with higher silhouette ships, even when you have talents or attachments that reduce silhouette when it comes to being hit (which in most cases makes a lot of sense) or hitting others, these actions and manoeuvres are still off-limit.

Also: now the Ghost can also perform the following actions (given the right armament, which shouldn't be too hard with 5 CHPs): Blanket Barrage, Concentrated Barrage and Overwhelming Barrage.

If it's less than 70K I can sort of get it, but I think that would again be a bad design choice.

Does it come with a stock mini-shuttle/Phantom?

Stock price on the VCX-100 is 155000, more than double the potential starting ship option.  It also doesn't come with any sort of shuttle attachment.

There are two freighters that do qualify for the starting ship option though - Barloz-Class Medium Freighter, and ND-47 Stalwart Bulk Freighter.

At first I would have sworn that Lanniks would have Silhouette 0 for their small stature.  But after reading about them they remind me of fantasy Dwarves of the Star Wars universe, minus the beards.  Meaning they are stout, but not enough to count as an actual small sized species.  That makes sense.  Anyone else think differently?

It's probably the stockiness that pushes them over. The Gossam are a little taller on average and are Sil 0, but are considerably... spindlier?

True that.  And maybe it is how one is perceived that affects the Sil.  I mean an Ewok and a Lannik could be roughly the same size.  But it might be harder for a Sil 1 human to shoot an Ewok because they look so darn harmless, while a Lannik looks like a wicked imp always angry at you.  So Stormtrooper Bob would find the Lannik more threatening than an Ewok, so Stormtrooper Bob feels more subconsciously inclined to wanting his shot to be a little more precise despite the Lannik's stout size.

And the a Lannik's perception on themselves might effect their Sil.  An Ewok knows it is a fuzzball and larger people firing at it with strange weapons is dangerous, so it will scurry about more in battle not to be hit.  A Lannik is from a warrior race and as it said in a small segment of their info in the book, they don't think of themselves as small but everyone else as being too big.  So in a fight a Lannik isn't going to scurry, it stands its ground better than most larger people, and it is going to fight.

So to get the shuttle on your VCX you have to also spring for the retrofitted hangar bay?

Not necessarily. Go with the docking clamp (which are freebies) idea just attached to the tail of the VCX. The Phantom certainly isn't in a hangar and neither are the fighters below Imperial Gozantis.

Oh I agree on Hera's abilities.

I guess it comes down to this: would you (anyone) say the Ghost ever performs any of these silhouette limited manoeuvres or actions (ignore speed requirements for now): Evasive Maneuvers, Gain the Advantage, Stay on Target and/or Punch It?

So far there is no attachment or talent that allows these to be used with higher silhouette ships, even when you have talents or attachments that reduce silhouette when it comes to being hit (which in most cases makes a lot of sense) or hitting others, these actions and manoeuvres are still off-limit.

Also: now the Ghost can also perform the following actions (given the right armament, which shouldn't be too hard with 5 CHPs): Blanket Barrage, Concentrated Barrage and Overwhelming Barrage.

If it's less than 70K I can sort of get it, but I think that would again be a bad design choice.

Does it come with a stock mini-shuttle/Phantom?

This is the source of my dislike of the Sil 5 Ghost. It can't go evasive, but it can mount light turbolasers... That's just not how I envision the VCX-100 at all.