Sign in to follow this  
Blackbird888

Keeping the Peace preview

Interesting. Seems to be as much a GM's supplement as a player's one. Aside from the hype on new Lightsaber bits (will it be more than crystals? A man can dream...) there's a lot of interesting stuff in there.

The stuff on backstories seems to provide some suggestions on how to squeeze the best cliche out of your PCs, but that can be worked around. That said, the suggestion on how to use the group resource bodes well for how this source book (or any of the others) could be progressing.

The concept of the 'road of trials' seems interesting - could it be a representation of the Jedi Trials? There seem to be more adventures in this book than in others we've seen, but I'm not one to disagree with that. It could even be advice on how to build up PCs to Knight level, which could be good. As for the multi-episode campaigns I think those are par for the course in most of the career books we've seen but these ones are intriguing regardless: doubly so as they step away from the combat-centric presentation of the Guardian.

And of course confirmation of CotG coming soon. Which is nice.

Interesting. Seems to be as much a GM's supplement as a player's one. Aside from the hype on new Lightsaber bits (will it be more than crystals? A man can dream...) there's a lot of interesting stuff in there.

The stuff on backstories seems to provide some suggestions on how to squeeze the best cliche out of your PCs, but that can be worked around. That said, the suggestion on how to use the group resource bodes well for how this source book (or any of the others) could be progressing.

The concept of the 'road of trials' seems interesting - could it be a representation of the Jedi Trials? There seem to be more adventures in this book than in others we've seen, but I'm not one to disagree with that. It could even be advice on how to build up PCs to Knight level, which could be good. As for the multi-episode campaigns I think those are par for the course in most of the career books we've seen but these ones are intriguing regardless: doubly so as they step away from the combat-centric presentation of the Guardian.

And of course confirmation of CotG coming soon. Which is nice.

All the Career books have stuff on GMs running stories for that type of character. Enter the unknown is the only one with a GM chapter that is lacking in that thinking. 

Ah, possibly it's just the way the article was set up. I mean this book might be just the same as any of the others, but they might change it a bit. They do seem to be learning and changing the format as they go along.

perhaps you should look at the other article :)

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/8/keeping-the-peace/

Edited by Daeglan

Monsters are almost a requirement for Star Wars!

When I started working on the campaign I am currently running I made a list of six things to consider for every chapter/adventure I wrote/prepped. Basically I try to get as many of those six items into each adventure as I can:

1. A fantastic, almost over the top place that screams Star Wars.
  2. Evil opposition with personality and goals.
  3. The possibility of a fight. And the possibility to avoid the fight by being clever.
  4. A chance to interact with interesting NPCs in a social setting.
  5. A monster! Big or small, something that is not an intelligent and armed being which causes problems for the PCs
  6. An encounter in space. Not necessarily a fight or a chase, but something to do on the spaceship.

So far I've had several with 6/6 and most manage 5/6.

Edited by Kymrel

New preview is up

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/11/17/taking-center-stage/

Main talking points is an overview of the two new Signature Abilities, as well as an overview of the Lannik and Iktotchi.

For those folks wanting one-on-one duels like we saw in the films, sounds like Fated Duel may be of interest to you.

I wonder if you have to be a Guardian to use Fated Duel. Granted I'm not sure how I feel about having a mechanic for something that was already being handled well via narrative fluff and dice. But I'll wait till the book comes out before deciding one way or the other. 

I wonder if you have to be a Guardian to use Fated Duel.

Signature Abilities are generally career restricted, aren't they?

You're right, I missed that it was a Signature Ability. 

I wonder if you have to be a Guardian to use Fated Duel. Granted I'm not sure how I feel about having a mechanic for something that was already being handled well via narrative fluff and dice. But I'll wait till the book comes out before deciding one way or the other. 

Well it's nice to be able to firmly trap a character, especially if you have that guy as GM who's actively trying to beat you instead of running a story. I wonder if it works at range as well as melee? Sniper duels are always fun. Except for the snipers.

Fated Duel sounds really cool...but perhaps a bit troubling on the narrative front. Just from this, it feels like the thematic punch behind it (which will no doubt be all kinds of awesome at first) will diminish the more it's used.

I can already imagine a scenario where the PCs are supposed to be impressed and invigorated in seeing their Guardian go toe-to-toe with a baddie, but the actual players could care less because this is about the 20th time it's happened.

as well as an overview of the Lannik and Iktotchi.

Don't forget the Whiphids.  Not the first race I'd expect in a FS book, considering the most famous whiphid I know of is Valarian, who would fit more in an Edge campaign.  More choices are always good, however.

as well as an overview of the Lannik and Iktotchi.

Don't forget the Whiphids.  Not the first race I'd expect in a FS book, considering the most famous whiphid I know of is Valarian, who would fit more in an Edge campaign.  More choices are always good, however.

Someone would like to have words... http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/K'Kruhk

Edited by Blackbird888

Iktotchi are sounding really cool. I want to make an Iktotchi Guardian (Protector/Soresu Defender/Bodyguard). With the Heal power. Like a paladin.

I kind of feel like Saesee Tiin really botched his roll on his precognitive ability deal, though.