Sign in to follow this  
BDMac2

Solo Games

Since I tend to have a lot of free time and sometimes have scheduling issues when I try to get some friends together to play, I was wondering what everybody believes the best character and strategy for a solo game.

I have only tried a single investigator game once and did not really enjoy it very much. When playing solo I tend to use 4 investigators. I typically go with a random AOO/GOO and random Investigators. However my all-around 4 investigator dream team (not tailored to a specific AOO/GOO) has historically been as follows.

Diana Stanley

Jacqueline Fine

Jim Culver

Leo Anderson

When first starting to really get serious with just the base game I found the following link to be of great help.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1233643/your-trusted-circle-colleagues-strategic-guide-cho

No direct advice since I've not played any solo (one investigator) game.   

Personally I'd go with controlling more than one investigator.  98% of the EH games I've played were on by myself, controlling either two or four investigators.  The majority of those games are with four investigators (selected from a random pool of six) against a  random AO. I find that with four investigators I can easily cover what needs to be done; the pick from a random selection (before knowing the AO) forces me to pick well balanced teams.

Edited by ricedwlit

For solo games I've found playing 4 investigators works best. I always pick my investigators at random but I like the Politician for arming all the other investigators with whatever they need from the Reserve and the Actress who can adjust her skills to be whatever you need her to be.

Yep.  I also play solo now with 4 investigators.  I started playing solo for a few games with 2 investigators, but found it nearly impossible to win, so I switched to playing with 4.  With 4 I win about 50% of the time.  

I do my solo games with 1 or 2 investigator. Is ok but not much things happen around a board.. So best to olay solo session with 4 investigator. If you wonna make game more difficult play with 3 investigator. Remember the odd number of investigators make EH more difficult

I play solo most of the time. I only use 2 characters and I pick someone I like and then someone I've never used. Usually one if not both are killed off at some point during the game. My house rule to myself is pull the next character marker out of a bag at random. This just gives me insight to what more the game has to offer and forces me to adapt my strategies  There is a frustrating card that opens every portal at one time and with only 2 characters that spells doomsday almost immediately. Which is hard to swallow after lengthy set up and play.

Same here, four investigators. I once used two with Azathoth and that worked out well, but any other GOO tried with two, Yig,Cthulhu, Shub, ended rather early. I tried using two with the MoM expansion, with Elder Things as the GOO and was hammered after 9 turns. If you go with two, I'd advise strongly removing all the tough mythos cards, as just one of them requires at least attention from two investigators (rumors). I'm currently 3/7 W/L margin with four investigators, Azathoth, Yig and Shub, but I've also lost to those as well, and twice Cthulhu wiped the floor with me.

I only do solo game and I always play with 4 investigator. You simply have not enough option when playing with 2 and the game become much harder. The choice of investigator really depend of the GOO your facing. Leo is great vs Shub-Niggurath, Silas is great against Cthulhu, Akachi is great vs Yog-Sothoth... But they are a few who can be great vs anyone, mostly Charlie and Lola. Charlie can equip your entire team with asset and Lola can take the role you need with her free skill's improve and her abilities. The key to win in this game is taking investigator you can complete each other and take care, as a team, of every kind of roll you'll need to succeed. 

Edit : You can choose your team at random too, but this game can be really difficult without adding another level of chance to it. So for me, choosing your team at random is only a way to make to game harder without house rules or playing with the mythos deck.

Edited by Cemetery Man

In my point of view, solo games with one investigator might be very interesting, but some game effects can be crippling, mainly getting cursed. Yesterday, I nearly won a game against Azatoth only with Akachi and it was really thrilling. 

I think I'm going to practice more...

I don't have a great deal of experience with Eldritch Horrors in particular but I've played a lot of board games in my life and from what I can tell (at least in the standard game sans expansions) it seems like you really need to have more than 1 investigator. The reason is that if you look at the investigator's cards you'll notice that many of their abilities are focused on aiding another investigator. After playing through one game solo, using 2 investigator's, I've also come to the conclusion that it's probably best to have the investigator's travel and work in the same spaces whenever possible.

I don't have a great deal of experience with Eldritch Horrors in particular but I've played a lot of board games in my life and from what I can tell (at least in the standard game sans expansions) it seems like you really need to have more than 1 investigator. The reason is that if you look at the investigator's cards you'll notice that many of their abilities are focused on aiding another investigator. After playing through one game solo, using 2 investigator's, I've also come to the conclusion that it's probably best to have the investigator's travel and work in the same spaces whenever possible.

i've never tried a game using one investigator and not having to adapt the rules, but I think I'll try it and leave the game as is.

With one investigator, I take out all the hard Mythos Cards, Trigger a mythos phase every even turn and double travel tickets...and it's difficult.

I only do solo game and I always play with 4 investigator. You simply have not enough option when playing with 2 and the game become much harder. The choice of investigator really depend of the GOO your facing. Leo is great vs Shub-Niggurath, Silas is great against Cthulhu, Akachi is great vs Yog-Sothoth... But they are a few who can be great vs anyone, mostly Charlie and Lola. Charlie can equip your entire team with asset and Lola can take the role you need with her free skill's improve and her abilities. The key to win in this game is taking investigator you can complete each other and take care, as a team, of every kind of roll you'll need to succeed. 

Edit : You can choose your team at random too, but this game can be really difficult without adding another level of chance to it. So for me, choosing your team at random is only a way to make to game harder without house rules or playing with the mythos deck.

I do same before as you and always choose team by my self. But from certain time I start do a random choice and I can confirm is much more interesting! All investigators quite powerful and different combinations bring some interesting new decision in the game. I suggest you to try this way!

8 Investigators, always.

When solo, you have no scheduling conflicts, no need to finish it without pause (or indeed in one day), don't need to accomodate different levels of analysis tolerance - so might as well go all out.

Do need some space you can leave occupied for a while though.

You also get more investigators to get screentime per play, and can run 2-3 investigator combos that interest you per game instead of of just 1ish.

(Originally did 4 investigators as well as the majority of the thread seem, but when I found myself sticking to "usual suspect" favorite investigators a lot and wanted to see more varied ones, my solution was to increase the i-count, not go random.)

Edited by Weltenreiter