Sign in to follow this  
Bullroarer Took

Carn Dum is Shipping!

Name: oido fino (fine ear ?)

Lore event. Cost 1.

Text: "Respuesta: agota un heroe dunedain o montaraz para cancelar una carta de enemigo que acabe de ser revelada desde el mazo de encuentros. A continuacion, devuelvela al mazo de encuentros, barajalo y revela una carta de encuentro adicional."

Response: Exhaust a Dunedain or Ranger hero to cancel an encounter card that has just been revealed from the encounter deck. Then, return it to the encounter deck, shuffle, and reveal an additional card."

I believe you can only cancel an Enemy, not any encounter card.

Correct. The response only cancel a enemy card revelead from the encounter deck.

Cancelling an enemy it is. From https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/6/2/the-battle-of-carn-dum/

"These continue to round out the new mechanics explored within the cycle, as Leadership and Tactics players gain new Valour effects, Lore players gain an event that allows their Dúnedain or Rangers to avoid a scenario's deadliest enemies, and Spirit players gain a Noldor-themed card that plays only from the discard pile. "

Amarthuils ability makes pure Dunedain decks a bit more viable. Loragorn, Amarthuil and Halbarad maybe could make a nice deck, but you will need resource generation on Loragorn to play the Lore cards much needed to Dunedain decks

I'm currently using Tactagorn, Halbarad, Erkenbrand supported by a secrecy Rossiel deck. Amarthuil would be an option in place of Erkenbrand. Less shadow cancellation amd hit points, but better synergy and ressource smoothing.

The approach of introducing a homebrew hero over a few adventure packs is pretty cool.

Yeah, agree with the above. Shuffling an enemy back with a chance of getting him again (or perhaps something worse) for 1 resource, 1 card and exhausting a hero: a very bad deal it seems. Almost as bad as Short Cut all those cycles ago.

Lords of the Eldar, on the other hand, seem just perfect for the Erestor deck. It is a great advantage that you can play them from the discard pile. They will be there naturally soon after you draw them. And then you get them again at the end of your deck which can be easily shuffled.

Lindir is cool too, though it might be harder to get rid of the cards before you play him; say you have four in your hand with Erestor, one of them being Lindir, and then it is useful to play at least one or two before  Lindir (cost 3). The timing seems the biggest issue with this type of deck but the potentials are nigh infinite (as we can see already from some of the decks).

Edited by Fingolfin Fate

A question about the quest mechanics of Shadow cards. If I have an enemy engaged that has a Forest Snare attached, do they still receive shadow cards. Since the shadows don't leave after combat phase, Could I have an enemy soak all the shadows and thus neuter the encounter deck since those cards will forever be attached to the enemy?

That's an exciting pack all around. Very cool! Amarthiul is a very interesting character - is he only the second hero to get an additional icon from an effect? After the dwarf, whose name I've forgotten (obviously Hirluin and Elrond, and Gandalf, but this one is unconditional on card type).

Yes, they are dealt shadow cards, and no - all shadow cards are discarded at the end of the combat phase.

Except for the fact that as we were told in the preview article several months ago, shadow cards are not discarded at the end of the combat phase in this scenario.

My bad, I have mistaken this question for a regular rule question out of place.

I will say about the cards that I really like the 2 new Dúnedain allies we'll get in these 2 packs, the Arnor guy and the Fornost Bowman. I can see a multiplayer (hopefully solo) deck that keeps some engaged enemies and uses Descendants of Kings to ready all these high stats allies. That looks like a pretty fun deck.

Thanks for the info!

New Dúnedain hero seems exciting for a Dúnedain deck! Between Heir of Valandil and Dúnedain Hunter, you don't need a lot of resources to splash tactics-Dúnedain.

I was expecting the '+1 defense for each enemy engaged' and I'm curious to see how he works out.

I love playing trap-Dúnedain. Playing pure Dúnedain will be interesting though. you'll need to rely a lot on cheap stay-alive cards untill you get Steward of Gondor and your power allies in play. They seem better in multiplayer where you can focus on combat more. On the other hand, they seem to have this mechanic that makes them stronger the more danger there is (Descendants of Kings, Amarthíul, Heir of Valandil) so it'll be fun to see if you can build around making come-backs.

Don't underestimate the Elenor/Balin-for-enemies card. Especially Lore has trouble with enemies early on and would often much rather have direct damage treacheries or locations. Of course if you wiff and get another enemy, that's going to suck!

Playing from the discard pile is also a really cool new mechanic. I just hope it won't be too 'Noldor only' as I'd really like to expand my Caldara deck who was the queen of discard pile shenanigans before they decided Noldor should be focused on that. That's still a minor gripe I have with the game: many cool mechanics are boxed in, in predetermined traits. But Caldara, Rohan and Dwarf-mining all have discard pile synergy, so I hope we get to combine those more and not get Noldor-only cards.