Sign in to follow this  
thyrdtype

Resigning membership in the Jedi order

I agree with others here. I don't think the Jedi ban someone from leaving outright, but that they have a lot of 'soft' controls over it. You're raised in the order from childhood and on top of that it's a religion as well as a community. How many people actually cut off all contact with their families that you know in real life? How many renounce their nationality and head off into the world with no intention to return, that you know in real life?

I'm sure it happens. Neither Obi-Wan nor anyone else seems incredulous that Dooku is an ex-Jedi, but I don't think it's common. And particularly below the rank of Master. That last bit may seem backwards but I don't think it is. I'm sure the Jedi order would have many ways of dealing with the restless. These could be retreats or missions planned to reinforce the belief in the order according to the source of the young Jedi's doubts for example. Padawan feels the Jedi order doesn't help people? Send them out on a healing mission aiding refugees, attending at a plague or hospital. The knight feels bored and finds the order stifling? Channel that by sending them on undercover mission alone and in danger. Or the approach could be guilt and hints of how alone they would be out there. I would expect the Order has different stages of development clearly prepared for. You think it's an accident that during their teenage years when a young Jedi is most likely to crave independence they send them out with a watchful parent figure away from the temple on missions? It both satisfies the urge for escape whilst at the same time channels it deeper into bonding them in their mind to being a part of the Order by making them ambassadors and agents of it. And if a Jedi is thinking about leaving the first thing they'll do is talk to their master about their "doubts". Who will employ the appropriate tactics to bring them back in the fold. No, there will be a lot of soft techniques to keep people in and the best part of it that everybody involved in employing thise techniques will consider themselves to be doing the best thing for the Jedi in question. That's why I think only masters who have a lot of experience and perspective and who are happy with their own approval not needing others', are likely candidates for going rogue. And I imagine few of them actually do it and leave their friends and brothers in arms behind.

The two well known ones I can think of are obviously Dooku and Ahsoka. And both are exceptional cases, imo. Anakin mentions in TCW that "Dooku started as a political idealist". And he was independently wealthy and politically connected so it's not like most Jedi who wouldn't have anywhere to go if they left. And Ahsoka... Well after what she went through and how the Order turned its back in her when she was in need, I don't think anyone on the council would be so barefaced lacking in shame that they would think they had the right to argue with her that she should stay. I don't think even Mace believed what he was saying to her in that moment before she walked out.

You certainly can leave. It's certainly known. I just think it's a pretty uncommon thing. And I also don't think they typically take you back once it's done, either.

Jedi don't always resign. They also sometimes "retire." This was a plot point of a Jedi Apprentice book that I read many years ago.

The Jedi do check up on resignees and, more importantly, retirees, as much to make sure that the person is okay (as Jedi can be a target group in the galaxy) as to make sure they aren't up to something. 

Retiring doesn't seem to be a big deal at all. Some Jedi decide they've had enough of the galactic stage, and want to help out locally. Others may just want to live a more basic existence. Some may just want to experience what it is to be human--have a wife and kids for instance. It's the resigning because of deep rooted differences with the order that seems to get attention. For instance, though I'm not well versed in the details, Dooku left because he had problems with the Republic, and the Jedi serve the Republic.