Sign in to follow this  
churchwarden

TFA trailer... falcon getting blown up.

Do you mean this part?  I just watched it at 1/4 speed (via "Settings" on Youtube) and it really doe not look like that to me at all but I may have been looking at the wrong clip.

But you might be right.  Maybe it'll be like in that other Star Wars movie when that D-model ship got destroyed and they rebuilt it by the next movie as a model E or whatever it was?  

I really appreciate a potential episode 7 spoiler in the frakking title of the thread (which makes it unavoidable to see). I intentionally have been skipping the new trailers because I really dislike taking the chance to watch trailers in case they give too much of the story away. 

I hope this thread just a joke or speculation but I wont read any of the actual thread; I just wanted to ask if there is any way to be more considerate of people such as myself in the future.

The Enterprise wasn't rebuilt.

It was replaced.

Enterprise

Enterprise-A

Enterprise-B

Enterprise-C, D, E, F..... J.

----------------------------------------------------/

Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon-B ......

Heaven help us.

Edited by OneKelvin

I really appreciate a potential episode 7 spoiler in the frakking title of the thread (which makes it unavoidable to see). I intentionally have been skipping the new trailers because I really dislike taking the chance to watch trailers in case they give too much of the story away. 

I hope this thread just a joke or speculation but I wont read any of the actual thread; I just wanted to ask if there is any way to be more considerate of people such as myself in the future.

agreed. if you want to share spoilers (and i'm fine with those that want to do this) please don't force spoiler info on those that don't want it (like putting the info in the title). It's like the bl00dy news channels giving out football, F1 (or even worse motoGP) results with no warning, spoiling some/all of the enjoyment of watching the games/races themselves...

But you might be right.  Maybe it'll be like in that other Star Wars movie when that D-model ship got destroyed and they rebuilt it by the next movie as a model E or whatever it was?

You mean Star Trek III, they self-destruct the Enterprise to kill some Klingons.

At the end of Star Trek IV Kirk gets command of a new ship of the same class that got renamed as Enterprise A

You mean Star Trek III, they self-destruct the Enterprise to kill some Klingons.

At the end of Star Trek IV Kirk gets command of a new ship of the same class that got renamed as Enterprise A

I don't recall the details so will take your word on it, but I thought it was the one where Chewbacca became the first wookiee to join the Empire and was a security officer on the bridge of a Star Destroyer?

I don't recall the details so will take your word on it, but I thought it was the one where Chewbacca became the first wookiee to join the Empire and was a security officer on the bridge of a Star Destroyer?

That star destroyer is kinda pancake looking.  Does it still shoot forward?  (All we care about).

The Enterprise wasn't rebuilt.

It was replaced.

Enterprise

Enterprise-A

Enterprise-B

Enterprise-C, D, E, F..... J.

----------------------------------------------------/

Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon-B ......

Heaven help us.

Well, historically, if we're going by ship naming conventions, it the new ship would still just be the Millennium Falcon, but with a new registration number. If we're going by WWII aircraft naming conventions, the new ship would be the Millennium Falcon II. Given how much of Star Wars is done in homage to old films set in WWII, I would expect a new Millennium Falcon to be called Millennium Falcon II

Actually, the name of the ship was just Enterprise. The '-A' is added as a fast way of differentiating USS Enterprise NCC-1701 and USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D, &c. from USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A. And it was done in the series to tie the new ship (NCC-1701-D) into the old ship. And once that bridge was laid, it was a simple matter when making Star Trek IV to add an '-A' to Kirk's new command. 

Star Trek is pretty unique in utilizing the same registration number for the same ship over and over with a different letter at the end. In the US Navy, for instance, the USS Enterprise has borne the registrations SP-790 (a WWI patrol boat), CV-6 (the most decorated US warship of WWII), CVN-65 (the world's first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier), and (eventually) CVN-80. 

Edited by Vigil

A Millenium Falcon II makes as much sense as a Slave II, and they never would make that!

Oh wait...they did make a Slave II.

Never mind.

In which we forget that the Slave II is probably not canon anymore, mostly because it was a terrible idea.

Slave II is why the EU is now Legends? Wow. 

I thought they just wanted a clean slate and complete cohesion in the story across all media. 

;)

Edited by Vigil

Well, it's still 'legends canon' as long as it's not directly contradicted by actual canon...which I guess would be another design being called Slave II, or Fett saying he only named one ship Slave (whatever Roman numeral you want).

A Millenium Falcon II makes as much sense as a Slave II, and they never would make that!

Never mind.

In which we forget that the Slave II is probably not canon anymore, mostly because it was a terrible idea.

I thought they just wanted a clean slate and complete cohesion in the story across all media. 

;)

Yes, it was that bad. Worse than Vader screaming NOoooo!, worse than Jar Jar, worse than 'I Hate Sand.'

Never mind.

;)

I hadn't even thought of it like that. If The Slave II were the reason the EU was wiped I would die laughing.

"It's just that disgusting, abhorrent, offensive, dreadful, awful."

I more meant that, it is an aspect that is no longer canon, while VSDs, Interdictors and so on, remain canon. Or have become it, since they never were anyway.

I happen to think we'll lose Han and Chewy in this movie. It will be a climactic end to our lovable rogue and his walking carpet companion. It will be 'a take the bad guys off the heroes so they can get away' deal. They know what they doing, han hugs leia fiercely and away they go, accepting their fate. Han, Chewy, Falcon ... Gone.

I really hope I'm wrong though.

Han's tansformation from skeptical rogue to hero and believer completes his arc, and he's had a life together with the love of his life. Finding the othe I've in his life (the falcon) after so long (we're home) pretty much telegraphs his demise.

But then all that forshadowing the death of Lando and Han never seeing the falcon again in ROTJ never amounted to anything.