Nevetz

Introducing Armada Warlords: database and fleet builder

If this is enforced, it has some significant implications for the "should Armada go digital?" debate. On the one hand, if Armada loses its current list builders, that might strengthen support for an official app. On the other, a lot of opposition to the digitalisation of X-wing 2.0 was mitigated by the widespread use of 3rd party builders, which made up for the roughness of FFG's offering.

I won't lie; I'd be a little concerned if we got a second edition where key information (cost, slots etc) was omitted from the cards, if the only realistic legal way to make sense of these things was through an official X-wing style app.

Exactly.  I bought 3 extra raiders because I wanted to run a jank APT raider list I made on vassal. Did the same with my 3rd and 4th Mc30. I gotta say. In regards to Armada, this isn't a very smart move. The vassal tournament is the only one accessible for people right now too because of FFG's straight negligence with the kits. (I bought two old kits out of pocket to try to get people out with participation rewards just so our group had something.)

Posted (edited)

It read to me as a legal position paper... ie this is what we could do/ go after now that we have put it writing.  However at this time it is not what we are going to do, but if circumstances change* we can with no warning. 

* A noticeable drop in sales of expansions that have neich upgrades

the launch of a FFG branded list builder

an increase in 3rd party ships becoming available 

--the last two are the most likely causes of them changing their stance on list builder apps.

EDIT - it might also be a condition from the mouse / other licencees to enable THEIR enforcement easier

Edited by slasher956

Posted (edited)

I'm glad they mentioned podcasts and videos and how they don't want to claim them, good on FFG on that regard.

But the only reason they would call out vassal/TTS is if they were making their own online platforms or have plans too.

At least thats my hope.

Edited by Karneck

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Karneck said:

But the only reason they would call out vassal/TTS is if they were making their own online platforms or have plans too.

At least thats my hope.

I don't know about the only reason. Sometimes companies want to secure their IPs.

Years back, before Nintendo started their virtual console digital store they went hard on every rom site for distributing roms of titles that were no longer in circulation. It wasn't until 3 or 4 years later that they finally offered their fans a means to procure digital copies of some of those games (though most never got a digital port). Personally, I think they went on that purge because the new titles they were trying to push were hot garbage (and so was the console at the time) so the only real option was to self aggrandize. By eliminating accessible digital copies of old games, used physical copies skyrocketed in price. Made their company look like it was actually worth something. (but that's a rant for another time I suppose).

Vassal and TTS both allow people to play the game without buying, and while I'd presume the number of players who use 3rd party software exclusively without buying the game is small because of the community, I'm sure it could be argued that FFG/ASMODEE are "losing" money from it. 

In all honesty, I hope for a proper digital version too. 

I'd still buy the models and play the game on table top. I'd just be happy to play the game more on a digital platform that isn't clunky.

Edited by Darth Sanguis

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, clontroper5 said:

Man if they shut down the Vassal and TTS, it will kill my interest In the game... 

In fact if that happens I will more then likely stop buying and playing since it's so difficult for me to get to the local game nights anyway. 

This exactly. 

It would be different if they had a regular release schedule like x-wing or legion and kit support was still a thing so communities would grow. With the heavy lull Armada's been facing, this could be a major blow. 

Edited by Darth Sanguis

Looks like the web host for Vassal is in France, so a simple C&D isn't going to do much. If the owner did get serious push back, they could always re-register the domain in any number of countries that don't care about U.S. laws. How do you think ThePirateBay stays online?

As for TTS, since that's hosted via Steam, I don't know if there's another option if The Mouse/Asmodee/FFG wants to crack down.

Either way, there's not much point in hypothesizing until we see some action taken by any of the aforementioned entities.

Posted (edited)
On 4/25/2019 at 10:55 AM, Green Knight said:

I have made a small change to how squads are ordered:

They are now sorted by uniqueness, then name, rather than by squadron "type".

I was having a hard time finding the right squad... this makes it more user friendly IMO.

This makes it worse, IMO. Sorting by tyoe was useful.

Also, I am a fan of the site and the work you do, but I don't like the capital ships sorted by name. When I am trying to build a list, and I have X number if points left, I find it useful to have the ships sorted by cost.

Feature request: Have sort order be set by user via toggle or button.

I'm a software developer myself so I know not every feature a user requests is feasible or worthwhile to implement. I'm also aware you spend your free time working in this, and it is your call in what changes get made.

Edited by SoonerTed

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, SoonerTed said:

This makes it worse, IMO. Sorting by tyoe was useful.

Also, I am a fan of the site and the work you do, but I don't like the capital ships sorted by name. When I am trying to build a list, and I have X number if points left, I find it useful to have the ships sorted by cost.

Feature request: Have sort order be set by user via toggle or button.

I'm a software developer myself so I know not every feature a user requests is feasible or worthwhile to implement. I'm also aware you spend your free time working in this, and it is your call in what changes get made.

That would be a great help. There have been several order changes in squadrons since Warlords started. It has now become truly annoying to try track down the squadrons I am looking for. They are no longer where they were, and one person's "logical order" is someone else's "confusing jumble".

Personally I preferred release order.

Edited by cynanbloodbane

1 hour ago, Drasnighta said:

.. personal request? Can we get Tua removed from the officer options on the SSD? Ive gotten three “My opponent is planning on doing this cause Warlords lets him” yesterday alone 😁

And any chance we can sneak in the cards recently revealed for RitR :)

(I know this isn't the right place but also the rear ranges for the SSD aren't quite right on Vassal 10.0 - not sure if this is a known issue or not)

3 hours ago, Zamalekite said:

(I know this isn't the right place but also the rear ranges for the SSD aren't quite right on Vassal 10.0 - not sure if this is a known issue or not)

The RitR stuff I can fix.

Vassal I no longer do. The Discord has a Vassal bug report/request channel.

5 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

.. personal request? Can we get Tua removed from the officer options on the SSD? Ive gotten three “My opponent is planning on doing this cause Warlords lets him” yesterday alone 😁

If the coding is super simple...

On 7/29/2019 at 6:11 PM, Zamalekite said:

All RitR cards have been added:

Objectives

Squads

Upgrades

Note that I still need to clean up some of the game text. Also, many cards missing images (I need to have some OK scans to add).

But it's fully possible to make lists now.

Let me know if I forgot a card or have entered the wrong cost.

On 7/29/2019 at 4:13 PM, Drasnighta said:

@Drasnighta

If you try to put Tua on an SSD, there is a warning, and she cannot be added.

I cannot do anything about lists already saved (other than SQLing the db, which I won't, for reasons)

Happy?

46 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

@Drasnighta

If you try to put Tua on an SSD, there is a warning, and she cannot be added.

I cannot do anything about lists already saved (other than SQLing the db, which I won't, for reasons)

Happy?

I am.  Thank you.

Hopefully this cuts down the complaints and fights I need to digitally break up.

1 hour ago, Green Knight said:

All RitR cards have been added:

Objectives

Squads

Upgrades

Note that I still need to clean up some of the game text. Also, many cards missing images (I need to have some OK scans to add).

But it's fully possible to make lists now.

Let me know if I forgot a card or have entered the wrong cost.

Wow that's awesome! Thanks

18 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

Warlords HAS now been updated with images for all RitR cards.

These are placeholder images, phone photos of the cards provided by ppl at GenCon.

Permanent images to be added when scans are available.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Green Knight said:

Good catch.

Same with Vanguard.

And Liberator.

I'll fix.

You now get the bonus slot from Harrow, Liberator, Vanguard.

BUT it's a dirty fix, so if you EDIT a list, anything in that bonus slot goes away and you have to add the title again to make it appear.

I'll fix it over the weekend.