Nevetz

Introducing Armada Warlords: database and fleet builder

Being able to clone a ship would be nice when you want to run multiple identical ships.

Also, on my iPad at least, if I start making a list, realize that I am not logged in and then log in, it wipes whatever I have done so far and I have to start over.

Hey everyone,

I'll try to reply to everything:

- first of off I've been very busy with work and I wasn't able to do much, just some checks and bug solving reported via mail/site/forum.

- a research for username can be done, but I want to decide first how things will work and I'm anyway planning to release an update for the user section with probably also rate/comment list.

- clone list is something I plan to add, as much as clone ship. The login problem when building a list won't occur anymore as soon as I set cookies for the application (which now arent in use)

- the login via social networks is something I've never tried, but I think I can try to add it to the user infrastructure update.

Unfortunately my search for collaborators/programmers didn't really work out so I'm still the only mind  being the project and it is really hard to find the time to do the bigger things. 

Hey everyone,

I'll try to reply to everything:

- first of off I've been very busy with work and I wasn't able to do much, just some checks and bug solving reported via mail/site/forum.

- a research for username can be done, but I want to decide first how things will work and I'm anyway planning to release an update for the user section with probably also rate/comment list.

- clone list is something I plan to add, as much as clone ship. The login problem when building a list won't occur anymore as soon as I set cookies for the application (which now arent in use)

- the login via social networks is something I've never tried, but I think I can try to add it to the user infrastructure update.

Unfortunately my search for collaborators/programmers didn't really work out so I'm still the only mind  being the project and it is really hard to find the time to do the bigger things. 

I gotta say, especially considering its a one man show, you do a really amazing job. I wish I had the requisite skills to help you out.

Nevetz! This is also my default builder now and the builder of many that I know. Thank you for your hard work!

I was going to point out the loggin problem, but it seems it's been reported! Though, It seems even being active in the browser for more than 20 minutes requires me to loggin... being in the middle of a list that I was working on, then try to save it, only to find it gone... I guess cookies are needed even in active loggin windows?

I do have two requests:

+First is a description window for the list. I have so many right now that I can't keep them straight... some kind of text description (and/or shorthand of what is in the fleet?) would be nice to see at a glance so I know what's in each fleet without having to load it.

+Second is some way to keep track of all the points used in the list while I am scrolling. I'll add upgrades and then be forced to scroll back up to the general window to find out how much I have left globally, or if I have exceeded. Even a small tab that follows the bottom of the window while you are scrolling, with point totals, would be helpful.

Just out of curiosity what language are you using to build this? I've started an education in computer science and I'd like to know how you put this together.

I've made dozens of lists without creating an account. If I create an account, do I have a way to link those builds so I can track them through your service?

If you make an account, you will be able to see all the lists you've created from your account page. You can also set them to private so only you and people who have access to the links of your fleets can see them.

Nevetz! This is also my default builder now and the builder of many that I know. Thank you for your hard work!

I was going to point out the loggin problem, but it seems it's been reported! Though, It seems even being active in the browser for more than 20 minutes requires me to loggin... being in the middle of a list that I was working on, then try to save it, only to find it gone... I guess cookies are needed even in active loggin windows?

I do have two requests:

+First is a description window for the list. I have so many right now that I can't keep them straight... some kind of text description (and/or shorthand of what is in the fleet?) would be nice to see at a glance so I know what's in each fleet without having to load it.

+Second is some way to keep track of all the points used in the list while I am scrolling. I'll add upgrades and then be forced to scroll back up to the general window to find out how much I have left globally, or if I have exceeded. Even a small tab that follows the bottom of the window while you are scrolling, with point totals, would be helpful.

Just out of curiosity what language are you using to build this? I've started an education in computer science and I'd like to know how you put this together.

Hey there - thank you for your kind words!

Yeah cookies aren't enabled on Warlords, still. I dont have any time at the moment to add them and I don't want any problems with the law :P but it's one of the most important things I have to do anyway.

The description might be useful, I'll keep in the notes. As for the point counter, I might change some things to the builder page and try to make it more visible somehow. The real problem is that I'm hired for 2 quite huge/demanding projects and I can't really work on Warlords at the moment. 

Armada Warlords has been coded to work on a client/server model (like any web application) and uses PHP on the server side to process the pages, an HTML/CSS structure to build the graphical part of the application, and JavaScript to enable the interaction between the user and the application. Actually on JavaScript there are 2 big frameworks called jQuery and Bootstrap that both enhance the JavaScript functions and simplifity them. Data is stored on a MySQL database on the server and it stores data using some encryption algorithm which I won't say for security reason. 

If you have more questions, feel free to ask!

Love your work buddy. As a Front-end developer I can appreciate the amount of work that goes in! Thanks for this. Definitely have had some good use out of it so far.

A few things (Sorry if they've been said before!)

Some issues that I have noticed:

• Sometimes when I save a list upgrades disappear, yet it still says my fleet cost is still that if it was included. Can provide more info if you need it.
  • The order of ships can sometimes be randomly shuffled when saved. When viewing the public version, instead of my flagship ISD being up the top, it's now down the bottom.
  • Once saving a list, it doesn't seem like you can edit the list and save it again, without refreshing the page. Not sure if this is intended.

Whenever you get the chance some stuff that would be cool would be:

• Some filtering/searching/sorting on the "Latest builds"
  • a "total remaining points" more visible as you scroll down. Perhaps staying persistently on the screen.
  • Without an account, you can't seem to edit lists previously made. I can understand the logistics of making that happen being difficult, but still it'd be cool. Perhaps even temporary editing with cache/cookies.
Edited by Seriaph

Love your work buddy. As a Front-end developer I can appreciate the amount of work that goes in! Thanks for this. Definitely have had some good use out of it so far.

A few things (Sorry if they've been said before!)

Some issues that I have noticed:

• Sometimes when I save a list upgrades disappear, yet it still says my fleet cost is still that if it was included. Can provide more info if you need it.
  • The order of ships can sometimes be randomly shuffled when saved. When viewing the public version, instead of my flagship ISD being up the top, it's now down the bottom.
  • Once saving a list, it doesn't seem like you can edit the list and save it again, without refreshing the page. Not sure if this is intended.

Whenever you get the chance some stuff that would be cool would be:

• Some filtering/searching/sorting on the "Latest builds"
  • a "total remaining points" more visible as you scroll down. Perhaps staying persistently on the screen.
  • Without an account, you can't seem to edit lists previously made. I can understand the logistics of making that happen being difficult, but still it'd be cool. Perhaps even temporary editing with cache/cookies.

Hey there - sorry for the late response, but I wasn't able to find any time for AW or even Armada itself in the last weeks (actually months but nevermind). All the issues you've reported are already known, the third one especially is a limitation, actually of how the intercation between the program and the database itself. The edit funcion isn't perfect either and sometimes changes the order or blows up some information when loading the saved fleet. I won't hide that the edit function is some really tricky work that is shared by 3 different programming languages and I wasn't able to make it work 100% - but just make it work in an acceptable way.

As for the edits, I have a very long list of suggestion and even the whole DA's Shipyard section, but nowaday I'm not totally sure what I can do because I'm quite busy with the real work and in my free time I don't even have time to play the game itself. Armada Warlords really grew by itself and to be honest I didn't expect it to become so popular. Since its beginning the stats have recorded more than 9.000 different users (while 1k+ of them are registered) and right now there are like almost 30.000 saved ships and 100.000+ saved squadrons. I honestly wasn't expecting these numbers, lol. Again, I'm very interested in finding someone with enough skills to share the work on AW with me (and share eventual donations), so if anyone reading might be interested, I reply here in private and on the application itself. 

Edited by Nevetz

The builder still counts totals wrong, noticed by accident:

shows 394, is in reality 380

http://imgur.com/tkpEhaZ

(I think it has to do with the commander switching, after i removed my commander and put him back in the total count is correct again)

Edited by Lancezh

Not sure if it's a save or a load bug: I regularly (always?) lose Titles on my lists. E.g., add a Gladiator with the Demolisher title, but after saving and reloading the title is gone. Same for other ships

Builder is fantastic. It is really good, although better on a desktop for viewable area.

However, I wish there was a way to "process" fleets multiple times on the same page.

I like to build fleets iteratively - build, process, compare, repeat. I wish I didn't have to rebuild the fleets from scratch for each iteration I want to process for later comparison.

Is this a browser specific problem, or does everyone experience this issue? 

*Edit - Noticed others are experiencing the same issue and dev would like to resolve it with sufficient time/manpower. Thanks for putting the builder together. It makes fleet building even more enjoyable!

Edited by stackeffect

Builder is fantastic. It is really good, although better on a desktop for viewable area.

However, I wish there was a way to "process" fleets multiple times on the same page.

I like to build fleets iteratively - build, process, compare, repeat. I wish I didn't have to rebuild the fleets from scratch for each iteration I want to process for later comparison.

Is this a browser specific problem, or does everyone experience this issue? 

*Edit - Noticed others are experiencing the same issue and dev would like to resolve it with sufficient time/manpower. Thanks for putting the builder together. It makes fleet building even more enjoyable!

Hey there stackeffect,

thank you for your kind words. The list processing issue is related to a limitation of the system while saving the fleet for the first time. At the time when I wrote the code, I didn't actually think to the situation you described. I'd really like to put my hand on Armada Warlords again and put a lot of new features that I know are now completly missing and indeed useful to the users, but my life got pretty busy since this year and I have almost even stopped playing X-WIng/Armada, although I follow my local group and teach to new players. 

The "title-loss" bug is something I've already tried to look upon and actually never understood. The editing function retrieves all the data in the same way, but the title seems to bug for unknown reasons. It has also passed quite some time since I wrote that code and looking at it nowadays is quite confusing (I'm sure other devs will understand what I mean). Some people also reported a wrong final point checksum, but I think it's all related to the title-loss problem.

Anyway, I'll try to give a look to the builder files as soon as I can.

Thank you for using Armada Warlords and thank you all for your kind support.

nevetz

Hey there Admirals,

I am entering a season of low-profile works and I'm going to have more time to spend for my things, and I've decided to dedicate some time to maintain and upgrade Armada Warlords. The main points I'll be looking on in the following time will be:

• Automated mails: add mails to send upon registration and for password recovery, send lists via mail.

• Cookies: I'll be adding cookies to the website so you'll be automatically logged in each time you visit the site from a previously used browser/device.

• Rich text list: I'm going to add a WYSIWYG text editor similar to the ones you find of forums where you can add text to your fleets, so you'll be able to explain better your ideas, or save some notes for yourself.

• Fix the edit function that sometimes loses the Title upgrade in the graphic view (I think it still saves it, but of course there is no video output and it is quite awkward to understand)

If you have more ideas, add them here, I'll be sure to check everything out. As always, any help, especially from people with high web development skills, is most welcome.

Thank you nevetz1911

If I might request making the cards a bit smaller. Not by a lot, but browsing through your list on a smaller monitor or phone seems to create these big pileups due to the upgrade cards taking up a lot of space.

Otherwise, it sounds like you're implementing just about everything else I would've asked for.

This is really great. We all thank you for you hard work. Forgot to see if there was a paypal donate button. The huge legible cards etc for adding printing make this great for beginners who don't have the stuff memorized like most of us. Plus even for those who have it memorized it just looks great. I don't like the cold look of just text even if it costs me a ton of ink for all the lists I build. Hundreds printed by now for a binder.

Only complaint so far is forcing us to pick objectives. I often like to play a same list with different objects so in the reminder that you forgot to add objective before you quite we should have an option to override. Same with the admiral/commander please.

Cheers