Sign in to follow this  
Eduboy94

Episode 1-3 ships

Can we please divorce the ships themselves (which are neat!) from the awful line delivery and script that pervades the prequels?

No everything in those movies is terrible and should never be In this game.

you shut your war mouth!

So much dislike when someone posts a valid question. Of course it's been posted before, so have the following:

New Star Wars trailer

When will we see a new preview article?

Defenders!

TLTs!

GUNBOAT!

Please release cardboard only packs/aces packs

Ect.

And you know what? If it wasn't for those repeated topics this board would be dying a slow death between waves.

Most of those topics are things that should be talked about and should happen.

The game NEEDS the Assault Gunboat and TIE Avenger and a 57th Defender thread wayyyyyyy more than a bunch of 'meh' ships from some trash movies that people are only aware of because they're technically Star Wars.

Not many CGI fest action movies from the most recent turn of the century are actually good and memorable besides for the Matrix. If those movies didn't have the Star Wars name they'd be about as relevant as Equilibrium.

They should rightfully be relegated to, "Hey, remember that dumb Matrix rip off with Christian Bale where he did gun-kata that came out about 10 years ago?" tier.

Let's just pretend they never existed. Same with the special editions, Laserdisc forever.

YV-666 is in the prequels, but that's the only one I can think of

****!! I missed that. Where/when is it? ...I wanna pause the DVD.

I'm pretty sure it's the scene where anakin and padme flee as refugees back to Naboo. IIRC it's the actual ship they leave the planet in. They show an aerial shot of the ship lifting off

YV-666 is in the prequels, but that's the only one I can think of

****!! I missed that. Where/when is it? ...I wanna pause the DVD.
I'm pretty sure it's the scene where anakin and padme flee as refugees back to Naboo. IIRC it's the actual ship they leave the planet in. They show an aerial shot of the ship lifting off

Incorrect:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/AA-9_Coruscant_freighter

Can we please divorce the ships themselves (which are neat!) from the awful line delivery and script that pervades the prequels?

People seem to have divorced the IG-2000 from IG-88A becoming the Death Star and pranking Palpatine with a door. People seem to have divorced the StarViper from Prince Xizor seducing Princess Leia with roofie breath. No idea why they can't do something similar with the prequel ships. 

Some of the prequel ships look bad, but quite a few (Delta-7 Aethersprite, N-1 Starfighter, ARC-170) are great designs that would look nice in model form.

Edited by WingedSpider

The Aethersprite is ok-ish (hyperdrive harness really made it work), the N1 is hot, bland garbage, and the ARC-170 is an obvious proto X-wing that makes little sense in context (compounded by the canon existence of the Z-95).

For those of us that grew up with the EU moreso than the OT, the silliness that is IG-DS-2 and Mr. Date **** is preferable, even if it is bad.

Edited by GreatMazinkaiser

For short. Why there's no ships from these movies, there's many awesome ships whitch I would like to see in the game.

I'm sorry you're getting some non-friendly responses. This is just a tiny bit of a hot button. :)

The short version is that FFG only adds ships to this game that the designers thinks are cool- as long as they are on the right scale.

FFG's CEO and the lead X-Wing designers seem to have the same misgivings about the prequels as most fans their age do. Unfortunately that distaste bleeds over onto some awesome ship designs.

There is the problem of which faction various ships would go into. Or creating new factions. Those problems would be solvable if FFG wanted to solve them, but see above.

For the record: I _really_ want the V-19 Torrent starfighter in the game. It's ugly, impractical, and wonderful.

The Aethersprite is ok-ish (hyperdrive harness really made it work), the N1 is hot, bland garbage, and the ARC-170 is an obvious proto X-wing that makes little sense in context (compounded by the canon existence of the Z-95).

For those of us that grew up with the EU moreso than the OT, the silliness that is IG-DS-2 and Mr. Date **** is preferable, even if it is bad.

The ARC-170 makes plenty of sense as a X-Wing predecessor. The X-Wing is a combination of the small and efficient Z-95 and the heavily armed but clunky three pilot ARC 170. The two ships filled very different battlefield roles, to the point that Z-95s and ARC-170s often flew together in the Clone Wars cartoon, but the X-Wing got the best of both worlds: Single pilot, sleek shape, heavy firepower, astromech slot, S-foils. 

Otherwise, I can't really argue with your personal taste. I think the N-1 is one of the best starfighter designs in Star Wars, but I can understand why its radically different style from most other starfighters would leave people cold. 

Edited by WingedSpider

you shut your war mouth!

Those movies were terrible. Bad acting, bad writing, bad effect, bad directing, the list goes on. 
Those movies look more dated than the original Star Wars Trilogy or even a movie like Jurassic park. 
Lucas messed up his own lore, they don't fit in correctly with the original Star Wars examples Yoda trained Obi Wan, Obi Wan didn't know about Lea.
It didn't look like Obi Wan and Anakin Skywalker were friends, Anakin just bitched about him all the time. The camera angles are all the same, from left to right.
It's boring. I wouldn't mind if Disney goes back and redo the prequels. I can write pages about what is wrong with the prequels but I'll rather stop here.

I think the prequel are terrible movies, never mind being terrible Star Wars movies. 

you shut your war mouth!

Those movies were terrible. Bad acting, bad writing, bad effect, bad directing, the list goes on. 

Those movies look more dated than the original Star Wars Trilogy or even a movie like Jurassic park. 

Lucas messed up his own lore, they don't fit in correctly with the original Star Wars examples Yoda trained Obi Wan, Obi Wan didn't know about Lea.

It didn't look like Obi Wan and Anakin Skywalker were friends, Anakin just bitched about him all the time. The camera angles are all the same, from left to right.

It's boring. I wouldn't mind if Disney goes back and redo the prequels. I can write pages about what is wrong with the prequels but I'll rather stop here.

I think the prequel are terrible movies, never mind being terrible Star Wars movies.

Loved those movies. Never saw other movies that were as good as putting characters credibly in a totally alien world. I loved the action, the story and the tragic ending.

So I'd really like to see prequel ships in the game, and I would prefer them over Legends ships. It's not that the Legends stuff is bad, but they're just less Star Warsish for me.

Ermageeeeerrrrd. There's a thread about this that is not even a week old. This must be a troll post.

Somebody please gouge out my eyeballs and replace them with cybernetic implants that filter out threads that go around and around and around the same old arguments.

GOOD DAY SIR!

Ermageeeeerrrrd. There's a thread about this that is not even a week old. This must be a troll post.

Somebody please gouge out my eyeballs and replace them with cybernetic implants that filter out threads that go around and around and around the same old arguments.

GOOD DAY SIR!

OR you could just look at the thread preview and say, "Nope. I've seen it all before. Not gonna waste my time with that thread." That's a perfectly normal reaction. (And this goes for all of those we-just-read-this folks.) Edited by Budgernaut

So much dislike when someone posts a valid question. Of course it's been posted before, so have the following:

New Star Wars trailer

When will we see a new preview article?

Defenders!

TLTs!

GUNBOAT!

Please release cardboard only packs/aces packs

Ect.

And you know what? If it wasn't for those repeated topics this board would be dying a slow death between waves.

Most of those topics are things that should be talked about and should happen.

The game NEEDS the Assault Gunboat and TIE Avenger and a 57th Defender thread wayyyyyyy more than a bunch of 'meh' ships from some trash movies that people are only aware of because they're technically Star Wars.

Not many CGI fest action movies from the most recent turn of the century are actually good and memorable besides for the Matrix. If those movies didn't have the Star Wars name they'd be about as relevant as Equilibrium.

They should rightfully be relegated to, "Hey, remember that dumb Matrix rip off with Christian Bale where he did gun-kata that came out about 10 years ago?" tier.

Let's just pretend they never existed. Same with the special editions, Laserdisc forever.

You know, you got some points about the movies being bad, they were. However, look at this guys nick. 94. What could that stand for? Exactly. I am of almost the same age (born 95). We grew up with the prequels. We know these ships and we like them, since we had games (and other stuff) with them we really enjoyed. You know what that reminds me of? Oh right, those Gunboats and TIE Avengers (that cockpit - disgusting) that aren't as good designs as the OT ships, but very popular due to being in games. I don't really want them in X-Wing, since OT and prequels (unlike OT and TFA) would look weird next to each other. I still appreciate the good designs, though. Vulture Droids, while goofy when walking, look sleek, Droid Tri-Fighters (I think?) with their Buzz-Droids are a pretty cool idea, both Jedi star fighters are nice, as is the ARC-170. The coolest thing, though, and I admit that BF2 made me feel that way with amazing teamplay opportunities, is the LAAT. Not technicaly a starfighter, but neither is the Lambda. So good times, jumping into that thing in our hangar, fly to the opponents capital ship while shooting down droid starfighters on the way and then wrecking their hangar.

So please, next time think befor flaming with your prequel hate. They are bad movies, but there is more to them than that.

1.) I was born in 91 and grew up with the prequels and Battlefront 2 too. OT is still better. The Prequel ships are at best 'meh' and the movies are forgettable so there is no reason from a theme perspective.

2.) Didn't grow up with the games that the Avenger and Assault Gunboat came from. I just appreciate their aesthetics. Avenger cockpit is a bit weird but it's a god **** Interceptor with pointy wings forwards and backwards, it looks ******* sweet.

So please, next time think befor flaming with your prequel hate. They are bad movies, but there is more to them than that.

I don't think they're bad movies. TPM was a missed opportunity, but the other two were great Star Wars flicks that gave very little reason to annoy fans.

While the design of the ships is a matter of taste with regards to the question of good or bad, it's quite clear that the majority of the Legends ships are not designed with the same skill as those from any of the six films.

In my opinion, the ARC blows the Avenger and Gunboat out of the water, but opinions are opinions.

Do you know what's not opinion?  The prequel ships being total and utter commercial failures, and the original trilogy ships being commercial successes.  That's a certified, take-it-to-the-bank fact.

There's a reason this game is called X-Wing: The Miniatures Game and not ARC-170: The Miniatures Game.  The original trilogy ships have been iconic moneyspinners since they made their cinematic debut in the 1970's.  There's a reason why they've been sold in mass quantities worldwide in an incredible array of formats and still are, to this day.

Toys, board games, miniatures, video games, die-cast models, model kits.. so forth, and so on.  Billions of units shipped and sold, worldwide.  Across generations of consumers.  Immediately recognisable.  Household names.  Iconic.

The poorly designed, CGI obscenities in the prequel trilogy?  Never even came close, never stood a chance, never will.  Disney knew this, which is why they've quietly shunted the prequels into the background and gone back to the tried-and-tested formula with their new trilogy of films.

Oh, and the Gunboat and TIE Avenger are more in line with the true Star Wars aesthetic than ANYTHING in the prequels.

They have objective flaws. I enjoy them, too, especially after TCW gave me some connection to the whole bunch of characters that didn't get any spotlight in the movies. But you can't say "Are you an angel?", Jar Jar, not giving any of the villians (even Palpatine kind of, although he was really good in 3) anywhere near enough spotlight to have them be interesting, clone army out of nowhere, stupid and slow dialoge, the creepy romance (except for where she tells him she is pregnant, good acting!) and giving both Yoda and Palpatine lightsabers is good filmmaking. On the other hand you also can't say the battle over Coruscant isn't an amazing scene, pretty much the only one supporting Anakins piloting abilities and his friendship to Obi-Wan, while also featuring some solid dogfighting.

Gecko, I don't quite believe you have numbers backing that up. I would agree on the general feeling that there isn't much money in the miniatures gaming crowd for prequel stuff (yet), but LEGO for example did really well with episode 1-3 sets, to this day still. And okay, you can have the Gunboat, as long as it is not in its original crappy form but like the one from the almost Lambda white render (I bet you know which picture I mean), but the Avenger? No. I hate that ship, it looks less fitting than the TIE Punisher. It is the uncanny Interceptor, almost looking familiar, but so off that it disturbs me. You can't just shout "CG! CG!" and use that as an argument against these ships. They are solid designs (except for the astromech guillotine that is the N1, but that one is pretty) and beat most EU ships like the K-WIng, Skipray, HWK (although I do love that one deeply, but that comes from its role in this game), TIE Avenger, Agressor, etc.

Again, it is fine to dislike the prequels, but stop being so vocal and stubborn about these ships being unlikeable, saying anyone who does has bad taste, you do not have the authority to make such statements, no one does.

Gecko, I don't quite believe you have numbers backing that up.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that you believe that the prequel ships sold merchandise at anywhere remotely near the level of the original series ships?

Edit:  also sounds like someone needs a good ol' fashioned fractalspongiing

15.jpg

Edited by FTS Gecko

ARC blows the Avenger and Gunboat out of the water, but opinions are opinions. I guess there really is no point in leading a discussion with you on things you dislike. Your opinion, as any opinion including mine, is not fact.

We can make it known to FFG that we don't want them to listen to the bad tasters who want prequel ships, effectively making our opinions fact as far as the game goes.

So far, FFG agrees with us that the prequel ships don't belong in the game. Implying that they agree that you and other prequel ship proponents have bad taste. They've gone so far out of their way not to put prequel ships in the game that FFG put a ship in the game that's literally 4 TIE Bombers welded together.

Go away with the Nickelback of Star Wars ships, we want our game to remain good.

Edited by ParaGoomba Slayer

Gecko, I don't quite believe you have numbers backing that up.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that you believe that the prequel ships sold merchandise at anywhere remotely near the level of the original series ships?

Not as good, but no where near as bad as you want to make it seem.

Goomba, your are running in a circle again, stawp. Do you even read what I say? I don't say prequel ships should be in the game! I am just making the case that there are people who do like them and that those people aren't wrong. And that Nickelback comparison is just tasteless. Nothing is as bland as Nickelback, especially the LAAT.

Edit: Okay, that picture makes it look more like the standart TIE Advanced, but you know that there are other versions. It still has ugly wings.

Edited by Admiral Deathrain