Sign in to follow this  
mouthymerc

5 Lost Jedi Who Managed to Survive the Star Wars Prequels

I suppose it's a good thing that Disney reduced the numbers of surviving Jedi, the numbers got really high over the years in the EU.

Five Jedi who survived Order 66, according to Disney:

5. Anakin Skywalker (not if you ask old Ben though)

4. Kanan Jarrus

3. Ahsoka Tano

2. Obi-Wan Kenobi

1. Yoda

Quinlan Vos is still a possibility as he isn't dead by the end of "Dark Disciple". Also Mace Windu is in limbo because if Maul (canonically) can survive being cut in half with a lightsaber and a fall down an unknown distance, and -still- be alive and come back to be a badass, so can Mace, plus you never see a body and we all know what that means.

It just seems statistically unlikely that out of the 10,000 Jedi that were present during the Clone Wars only five survived Order 66. 

The number of Jedi that survive are whatever you want for your games. Disney will have as many as they want and whenever they want as serves their purposes in whatever media. There may only be five right now but there could be ten next year or whatever else down the road.

The number of Jedi that survive are whatever you want for your games. Disney will have as many as they want and whenever they want as serves their purposes in whatever media. There may only be five right now but there could be ten next year or whatever else down the road.

Yeah Disney is following the Lucas way of doing it, all the Jedi are dead until you need one alive to tell a story. Hence we have Rebels. Besides, logically there has to be more than 5 left. You don't staff an entire organization of Inquisitors with dark side Force users (and thus people whose training makes them ideal for turning on you) just to keep a look out for 5 Jedi. There has to be enough Jedi left that the Emperor would feel the need to continue training people just to hunt them down. 

• Agreeing with a lot of people so far: it seems to me wildly unlikely that the empire killed every Jedi but those 5. The use of Luminara's corpse in particular suggests that anti-Jedi operations are still active.

Of all people how did Anakin not manage to find Obi-Wan (the guy who he has the closest ties to, theoretically making it easier to sense him, also the guy who (in Anakin's mind) took his love away from him and forced him to live in a suit who also happened to be hiding on his home planet)? Maybe he couldn't go to Tatooine due to the effects of heat on a black suit of armour...

Clone wars seemed to try to re-canonise Shaak Ti's death in the Jedi Temple, if not there's a fair chance she was on Kamino at the time of order 66 (I kind of wish they'd used her as Kanaan's master and let Depa Bilba's story stay cannon but ah well)

Quinlan Vos is an interesting case: you'd be tempted just to write him out of existence as almost all of his story is in EU but they put him as a guest star in the one clone wars arc so that's not an option.

Mace is dead, Samuel L Jackson will find the people that disagree and slap them.

As of Episode IV, two Jedi are officially alive, Obi-Wan and Yoda. We've yet to see whether Ashoka, Kanan Jarrus or Ezra Bridger (From Star Wars Rebels, the only other current source of Canon jedi) survive until the events of New Hope, but my strong feeling is that they dont, at least not in any active capacity. 

No, all we know is that those are the only two alive "In the galaxy". The Star Wars galaxy has several satellite galaxies such as The Rishi Maze [per Episode 2]. You're free to put as many Jedi as you want in them and not contradict the literal text of Episode 4.

Didn't they show Shaak Ti's corpse in Rebels being used as bait to trap rebels and fugitive Jedi? 

That was Luminara.

Didn't they show Shaak Ti's corpse in Rebels being used as bait to trap rebels and fugitive Jedi?

Not Shaak Ti but Luminara. Also, if you read the book for Revenge of the Sith, I beleive they really tried to sell Mace Windu's death. I remember because I had to put the book down it was so moving.

Right. My bad. 

I suppose it's a good thing that Disney reduced the numbers of surviving Jedi, the numbers got really high over the years in the EU.

Five Jedi who survived Order 66, according to Disney:

5. Anakin Skywalker (not if you ask old Ben though)

4. Kanan Jarrus

3. Ahsoka Tano

2. Obi-Wan Kenobi

1. Yoda

I'm not sure that Ahsoka really counts as a Jedi: She left the order. Or, more accurately, was expelled and upon being offered a position in the order shortly afterwards, declined to return. In old canon, I think she'd classify as a grey Jedi, much as Dooku did after he left the order but before he joined the Sith. 

This is why, I believe I read, that Ahsoka's lightsabers have silver/white blades, rather than either the green and yellow blades she had during the Clone Wars prior to her expulsion or the red blades of Dark Siders, symbolizing her position as neither Jedi nor Dark Sider. 

How many survived Order 66?

Lots. Plenty of Jedi were not part of the war or in the main Jedi temple.

How many survived to the original Star Wars?

Only three that we know of. Kenobi, Yoda and Skywalker Snr

As Rebels shows the Empire had lots of highly adept Inquisitors to hunt down all Jedi and other force sensitive's and either turn them or kill them. Like most have said the amount that survived to any point is plot related but the Empire is still over 99.9% extermination rate, which is pretty good.

And I'm just here, silently waiting for them to reintroduce K'Kruhk. If he can survive an encounter with Grievous, the Clone Wars, the Great Jedi Purge, the Empire and the Dark Times, all the way to another Jedi Purge and past it, then he can survive something as minor of franchise reboot.

Mace is definitely alive he's too badass to let a mere terminal velocity fall and loss of an arm kill him. I mean look at Maul he isn't even half the badass that Mace is and he survived being chopped in half.

There also is a picture somewhere of Mace with a cyber eye and and cyber hand. 

As Rebels shows the Empire had lots of highly adept Inquisitors to hunt down all Jedi and other force sensitive's and either turn them or kill them. Like most have said the amount that survived to any point is plot related but the Empire is still over 99.9% extermination rate, which is pretty good.

That would be what, 10 who survived? Would we need many (any) Inquisitors for so few? Maybe. Jedi can be pesky, slippery things.

IMSWU (in my Star Wars Universe) I'm thinking the number is in the low hundreds. Ymmv.

The Inquisitors are not just Jedi hunters. They are hunters of any Force users considered a threat to the Empire, which include Jedi survivors. While their original mandate may have been to hunt down Jedi survivors, it has evolved to hunt down any Force users acting against the Empire.

Mace is definitely alive he's too badass to let a mere terminal velocity fall and loss of an arm kill him. I mean look at Maul he isn't even half the badass that Mace is and he survived being chopped in half.

Maul had his hate and anger sustain him, much like Scion from KotOR 2.

Also, Mace was blasted with Force lightning before he was thrown out the window AND by the time he is thrown out the window he had stopped screaming, so I am thinking dead before he even hit the ground.  (Yes I watch EP III a lot.)

Maul had his hate and anger sustain him, much like Scion from KotOR 2.

Also, Mace was blasted with Force lightning before he was thrown out the window AND by the time he is thrown out the window he had stopped screaming, so I am thinking dead before he even hit the ground.  (Yes I watch EP III a lot.)

I'm not sure anger and hate is enough to sustain losing the entire lower half of your body.

Also we've seen both Mace and Obi Wan survive falls by using the Force. Once we accept that Maul survives there's no reason not to accept the possibility that Mace could survive. Whether or not he does is obliviously up to each person to decide but once they canonized Maul's survival they pretty much opened the door for anyone else to survive such things. We can no longer argue that his survival is impossible because the setting has already shown that Force users survive the impossible. 

Once we accept that Maul survives there's no reason not to accept the possibility that Mace could survive.

Is not accepting that an option?

Also even if we agree the survival is possible (Which I do) death surely has to be the null hypothesis for every Jedi in RotS.

EDIT (I've now gone through two first version posts without saying the thing I meant to): Ultimately roleplaying is fanfiction so cannon is a guideline, if you want to include Qui-Gon Jin or Count Dooku in your rebellion era campaign then you can with little more than a paragraph explaining how their storyline deviates from cannon.

Edited by Norgrath

Once we accept that Maul survives there's no reason not to accept the possibility that Mace could survive.

Also even if we agree the survival is possible (Which I do) death surely has to be the null hypothesis for every Jedi in RotS.

EDIT (I've now gone through two first version posts without saying the thing I meant to): Ultimately roleplaying is fanfiction so cannon is a guideline, if you want to include Qui-Gon Jin or Count Dooku in your rebellion era campaign then you can with little more than a paragraph explaining how their storyline deviates from cannon.

Sure I think you can not accept Maul's death. My main point was that Maul looked very much dead. And if you're going to accept Maul being alive and going so far as to find some way for that to make sense they you can't on the other hand say that it's impossible for Mace to have survived. Once we accept Mauls survival (in a similar death all things considered) Mace's survival is on the table. 

Personally I would have left Maul dead and I think it is somewhat silly that TCW brought him back at all. But if someone can survive being cut in half and falling down a shaft then someone can survive being thrown out a window. Being as how we see Obi Wan in Ep II survive a drop by using the Force to guide his fall into Anakin's speeder and in TCW watched Mace user the Force to survive a fall then it stands to reason that he could have used the Force to guide himself onto an air speeder or something. 

Granted I'm not arguing that people have to accept that Mace survives. I'm just saying that his survival can't be ruled out considering what characters in this setting have been known to have survived. 

Sure I think you can not accept Maul's death. My main point was that Maul looked very much dead. And if you're going to accept Maul being alive and going so far as to find some way for that to make sense they you can't on the other hand say that it's impossible for Mace to have survived. Once we accept Mauls survival (in a similar death all things considered) Mace's survival is on the table. 

Personally I would have left Maul dead and I think it is somewhat silly that TCW brought him back at all. But if someone can survive being cut in half and falling down a shaft then someone can survive being thrown out a window. Being as how we see Obi Wan in Ep II survive a drop by using the Force to guide his fall into Anakin's speeder and in TCW watched Mace user the Force to survive a fall then it stands to reason that he could have used the Force to guide himself onto an air speeder or something. 

Granted I'm not arguing that people have to accept that Mace survives. I'm just saying that his survival can't be ruled out considering what characters in this setting have been known to have survived. 

My point is that people should (as far as cannon goes) presume someone who got an arm cut off, electrocuted and then thrown off of a building in what was meant to be a moral event horizon for another character is dead unless compelling evidence of them being alive appears.

My question about not accepting Maul's death was just a rhetorical complaint about bringing him back.

My point is that people should (as far as cannon goes) presume someone who got an arm cut off, electrocuted and then thrown off of a building in what was meant to be a moral event horizon for another character is dead unless compelling evidence of them being alive appears.

My question about not accepting Maul's death was just a rhetorical complaint about bringing him back.

I'll just put this here for consideration http://farfarawayradio.com/2014/04/15/the-case-for-mace-windus-survival/

That would be what, 10 who survived? Would we need many (any) Inquisitors for so few? Maybe. Jedi can be pesky, slippery things.

IMSWU (in my Star Wars Universe) I'm thinking the number is in the low hundreds. Ymmv.

I agree a couple hundred probably survived. Then in the intervening years many die to inquisitors, traps like the one in rebels. being slowly whittled down.

The link doesn't actually provide evidence that he did survive, only that he could have (which I do not dispute). Again, the burden of proof (if we're actually making a cannon case) should be on proving his survival rather than proving his death.

No one is building a canon case that Mace survived. We're just saying it's possible for him to have survived. His survival being canon was never on the table at any point in this discussion. Furthermore this isn't really a thread about canon deaths. According to canon all the Jedi were wiped out. We're just discussing how impossible and unlikely that canon fact is actually true in any real sense. 

But as I've stated before Star Wars is not really concerned with remaining consistent. 

I never understood why so many people complained about how many Jedi survived Order 66 in the Legends material. All of them combined are less then one percent of the Order's numbers pre-Order 66.

Usually these same people are the ones that cannot accept that PCs can have their own stories without making the original trilogy lesser because of them.