Sign in to follow this  
ScottieATF

New FAQ (XI-7 Ruling reversed)

I have no table Wave 2 experience, but I will say that the way XI7 synergizes with intel officers and accuracies seems a WHOLE lot better than the HTT's seem to (correct me if I'm wrong?).

e.g. accuracy + xi7 with a round of 8 damage is a half dead MC80/third dead ISD.  Accuracy + HTT? One or the other is wasted.

Intel Officer works with both.

I think i'm not getting something- could you show an example of how it would be useful?  I'm trying to think of when you'd want HTT's instead of Xi7's, as it seems that while there are some instances where they pretty much do the same thing, the xi7 gives you more useful situations for the same cost.

Technically Intel Officer works better with HTT due to ships only having a single brace. With 2 redirects, both green, you can't really force them to discard like HTT can with brace.

However, I did consider Warlord on my VSD with HTT so that I could just roll an accuracy to double damage. So, sure, XI7's have more use for accuracy potentially; but it also relies more heavily on it as they can still use brace AND redirect to mitigate damage and HTT simply negates this.

Also: contain. So if i'm going with 2 ships with APTs and Expanded Launchers on my VSD; I can run Precision Strike as my objective and be certain that all my ships can punch through +15 point crits on demand.

I have no table Wave 2 experience, but I will say that the way XI7 synergizes with intel officers and accuracies seems a WHOLE lot better than the HTT's seem to (correct me if I'm wrong?).

e.g. accuracy + xi7 with a round of 8 damage is a half dead MC80/third dead ISD.  Accuracy + HTT? One or the other is wasted.

I think i'm not getting something- could you show an example of how it would be useful?  I'm trying to think of when you'd want HTT's instead of Xi7's, as it seems that while there are some instances where they pretty much do the same thing, the xi7 gives you more useful situations for the same cost.

Basically? Blue dice ships favor XI7 and Black dice ships favor HTT imo

You IFF Guys should try to score another FFG interview and just ask them if the have evil cackling while coming up with the FAQ revisions.

Because I can really imagine that being the case.

Everything FFG has and is doing with Armada, is done with 'Intention'.  I heard that somewhere...

Cookies to the first who remembers where!!!

I'm thinking James K is like the Emperor when handing down rulings. Or if you'd like a contemporary reference, think Alton Brown on Cutthroat Kitchen.

Actually I don't imagine that he makes the rules alone. It's got to be a few people that crunch on issues.

Let's say I roll 7 damage vs your mc80, mc30, ISD, or VSD (the hard targets!) and I've got Xi7's and an IO.  I IO the brace.  That means either 6 damage, at least some drilling into the hull, or you burn your brace.

Let's say I roll 7 damage again with HTT's and IO.  Do I IO your brace?  Then you can still redirect to save your hull, and if you're running AP's you're largely safe.

In both cases I force you to make a choice on the brace, but with xi7's the consequences are much more dire.

Well. . . Nebulon-B's are going to sell out in some places. . .

Makes me glad I bought 3 of those expansion packs.

Makes me glad I like variety. Same with squadrons. Means I can make a list I'm happy with by "only" buying one of everything.

Alright let's go through this. Each scenario will have an accuracy and Intel Officer.

XI7's + accuracy + Intel Officer. You select the brace with the accuracy and Intel Officer. . . What? The brace? The useless redirect? The evade?

HTT's + accuracy + Intel Officer means you can accuracy a redirect and Intel Officer the other redirect or maybe the brace.

Let's say I roll 7 damage vs your mc80, mc30, ISD, or VSD (the hard targets!) and I've got Xi7's and an IO.  I IO the brace.  That means either 6 damage, at least some drilling into the hull, or you burn your brace.

Let's say I roll 7 damage again with HTT's and IO.  Do I IO your brace?  Then you can still redirect to save your hull, and if you're running AP's you're largely safe.

In both cases I force you to make a choice on the brace, but with xi7's the consequences are much more dire.

Critical or no?

IO with HTT gives you more choices. You can either block the redirect, forcing the brace: and damage (esp with crit roll). Or I can IO your brace and make you consider redirect (no crit maybe) so that you take 7 damage across your shields instead of 4 (won't hit the hull of a large ship).

Thing is; sometimes burning mass amounts of shields can be useful...at least when the damage can't be braced. Brace+Redirect is amazing. Redirect alone can leave you horribly naked, horribly fast.

Then my bombers go ;)

Alright let's go through this. Each scenario will have an accuracy and Intel Officer.

XI7's + accuracy + Intel Officer. You select the brace with the accuracy and Intel Officer. . . What? The brace? The useless redirect? The evade?

HTT's + accuracy + Intel Officer means you can accuracy a redirect and Intel Officer the other redirect or maybe the brace.

I assume this nerf also affects the MC30's title that was a lesser AP. Ouch, now I'm back to deciding weather or not Xi7's are an auto include over any other turbolaser.

As Lyr pointed out...HTT are easily a contender for the Turbolaser slot in many conditions.

Critical or no?

IO with HTT gives you more choices. You can either block the redirect, forcing the brace: and damage (esp with crit roll). Or I can IO your brace and make you consider redirect (no crit maybe) so that you take 7 damage across your shields instead of 4 (won't hit the hull of a large ship).

Thing is; sometimes burning mass amounts of shields can be useful...at least when the damage can't be braced. Brace+Redirect is amazing. Redirect alone can leave you horribly naked, horribly fast.

Then my bombers go ;)

Got it now- thank you!

Exactly why I like this community!

Indeed. Both turbo's are amazing. I've a League and Tourney in November that is likely all 300 pts, and I'll be rocking XI7s on my VSD. They are very good turbolasers. I just prefer the Heavies on my black dice launching beast; because, as I said, I've had my attacks bounce off Brace+Redirect too many times to let Armada keep dicking me over with dice: that's why I more-or-less left X-Wing :)

I assume this nerf also affects the MC30's title that was a lesser AP. Ouch, now I'm back to deciding weather or not Xi7's are an auto include over any other turbolaser.

As Lyr pointed out...HTT are easily a contender for the Turbolaser slot in many conditions.

Personally I'm not sold on HTT. I still need to give them a chance, but the numbers seem to show they are only good on high damage ships, while Xi7s work on nearly any ship (though you run into the issue of nearly every ship needing them so that they don't just redirect the non Xi7 shots). I really need to do some testing to see if Xi7 or TRC are more effective. Just due to the AP nerf I'm leaning towards Xi7.

Edited by JJs Juggernaut

Personally I'm not sold on HTT. I still need to give them a chance, but the numbers seem to show they are only good on high damage ships, while Xi7s work on nearly any ship (though you run into the issue of nearly every ship needing them so that they don't just redirect the non Xi7 shots). I really need to do some testing to see if Xi7 or TRC are more effective. Just due to the AP nerf I'm leaning towards Xi7.

Perhaps. At 3 damage, HTT kinda doesn't do anything. Brace only reduces 1 damage in that case so they can still Brace+Redirect the 2 remaining as if there wasn't any Turbos. However, you could argue that XI7s are just as useless at 3 damage as the result is the same. The only time XI7s are better is if they have APs and benefit from tossing the damage on the opposite hull zone.

So it seems both under-perform at lower damage values unless you're considering them countering APs.

Meh.  XI7s were plenty good before this switch and I think Advanced Projectors a bit overrated. 

A change with bigger implications involves the plastic base blocking line of sight.  Which implies that firing arcs extend on to the plastic base (just not the part around the shield dials).

This fits in with the instructions we were given at Nationals that we should use the plastic base for measuring range.

Not too happy about this to be honest.

Pretty much makes AP useless as an upgrade.

As it is it can be a battle to keep ships getting done in by a load of black dice....Demolisher.

I know you might say I need to learn to use the ships better but I think this is the death knell many a Rebel fleet. I might have to revert to playing Imperial more now. Just an easier fleet to fly IMO.

Rant over.

Meh.  XI7s were plenty good before this switch and I think Advanced Projectors a bit overrated. 

A change with bigger implications involves the plastic base blocking line of sight.  Which implies that firing arcs extend on to the plastic base (just not the part around the shield dials).

This fits in with the instructions we were given at Nationals that we should use the plastic base for measuring range.

But honestly, in looking over the RRG, this inconsistent with how they define a hull zone.  How else could this apply?  Maybe I am just misreading it.

Not too happy about this to be honest.

Pretty much makes AP useless as an upgrade.

As it is it can be a battle to keep ships getting done in by a load of black dice....Demolisher.

I know you might say I need to learn to use the ships better but I think this is the death knell many a Rebel fleet. I might have to revert to playing Imperial more now. Just an easier fleet to fly IMO.

Rant over.

Considering how many people like to run naked ships...I fail to see your doom and gloom.

But honestly, in looking over the RRG, this inconsistent with how they define a hull zone.  How else could this apply?  Maybe I am just misreading it.

I remember it being very clear in the rules: line of sight and arcs use ONLY the cardboard template while overlapping and bumping/etc use the plastic base fully.