Sign in to follow this  
ScottieATF

New FAQ (XI-7 Ruling reversed)

Gee, what a swing we've been on with these two cards.

I'm going to say this is a non-change for everyone except the guy who's pushing three gups around.

(Cut to Steve throwing his gups across the room.)

I think Advanced Projectirs was going to be the go to Defense Upgrade for ISDs, MC30s, MC80s, and AFMK2S; so I think it is a pretty broad blow.

And of course the people who were auto-including them on MC80!

For me it means I have to consider XI7 on everything that can take them because the Ackbar/Gup/MC80/EA/AP thing is so scary.

XI7 Turbolasers with Akbar is silly. . . I was tossing out 5+ damage on average with 2 Gups and an MC80 with Akbar. They had EA but I will gladly lose the EA for the capacity to drill straight through an ISD's front shields in 2 shots.

Oh, for those that thought wave 2 was deadly already. . . It just picked up several notches....

I think the saving grace here is that the MC30 can also take XI7 Turbolasers. So it can rush in on the rear arc of an Assault Frigate, Assault Cruiser, or Star Destroyer and nail all the damage home. . .

...I don't understand. Heavy turbos already accomplished this in a similar fashion and people are freaking out?

sort of.

With HTT's I could still brace that 7 damage to 4 and just take the 4.

With XI7 Turbolasers, if you accuracy my brace, I have to take at least 6 on that one hull zone

...I don't understand. Heavy turbos already accomplished this in a similar fashion and people are freaking out?

Lets say you got an AP MC80 that moves into range to unleash a broadside, but is clipped by the front arc of an ISDI.  I don't think it's all that unreasonable to get a 7 or 8 damage roll from the ISD.  HTT's mean I'll lose half my shields. XI7's mean I lost all my important shields*.  Ouchies.

**ninja'd**

Edited by DUR

Its funny, Imperials are finally getting a ship that is able to take AP, and then they make it so XI7s trump AP. But either way I am ok with this.

I was not looking forward running into the invincible MC80 (Assault + redundant shields + AP + Engineering Team + Engineering Captain)

Edited by kami689

Gee, what a swing we've been on with these two cards.

I'm going to say this is a non-change for everyone except the guy who's pushing three gups around.

(Cut to Steve throwing his gups across the room.)

Oh, sorry, I was too busy cleaning up my broken Guppies.

Nah, jaykay. It does shift their focus though, doesn't it? The best defense is a strong offense!

Perhaps I'm looking it at it from a brawler's perspective...I can't count the times I roll 3red3black and it splashes off my opponent's shields with almost no effect. I'll be happy to roll my 3red5black and drill right into your hull.

I think the idea is that XI-7s currently negate Rebels' biggest benefit: higher shields. Heavy turbolasers are also a strong upgrade but if you specifically know that you're gunning for Rebels, XI-7s seem superior, especially if you believe you can reliably lock down Brace.

I think the idea is that XI-7s currently negate Rebels' biggest benefit: higher shields. Heavy turbolasers are also a strong upgrade but if you specifically know that you're gunning for Rebels, XI-7s seem superior, especially if you believe you can reliably lock down Brace.

I don't expect to ever see accuracys when i need them...I'm notoriously bad at rolling, take 3red blanks and about 4 damage on my black dice for example (after screed).

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and say that my community probably has some of the most experience with the Wave II ships, we had **5** Massing at Sullest events.  I myself won 2 of them. 

From on the table actual play experience and not theory crafting, this nerf to rebel AP builds is absolutely needed.  We've had several games where an ECM AP MC80 Defiant has shredded Imperial fleets all by itself.  In one 4 player game, it killed 2 GSDs, 2VSDs, and an ISD before going down.  All because of the ECM/Brace interaction and spam of repair commands to move/regen shields while throwing 7+ dice a turn.  That is simply ridiculous. 

Even in normal 400pt games with our Wave 2 goodies, the MC80 DOMINATES the board. It one shots GSD's, can cripple a VSD in one shot, and can take down and deal a pretty big hit to a ISD in one salvo. 

I am 100% confident FFG made the right call on this one. Even if it is against what the card says, it is DEFINITELY for the balance of the game.

Edited by felforlife

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and say that my community probably has some of the most experience with the Wave II ships, we had **5** Massing at Sullest events.  I myself won 2 of them. 

From on the table actual play experience and not theory crafting, this nerf to rebel AP builds is absolutely needed.  We've had several games where an ECM AP MC80 Defiant has shredded Imperial fleets all by itself.  In one 4 player game, it killed 2 GSDs, 2VSDs, and an ISD before going down.  All because of the ECM/Brace interaction and spam of repair commands to move/regen shields while throwing 7+ dice a turn.  That is simply ridiculous. 

Even in normal 400pt games with our Wave 2 goodies, the MC80 DOMINATES the board. It one shots GSD's, can cripple a VSD in one shot, and can take down and deal a pretty big hit to a ISD in one salvo. 

I am 100% confident FFG made the right call on this one. Even if it is against what the card says, it is DEFINITELY for the balance of the game.

It can't of done that on its own. It would have needed help to kill that much on its own. Or the Imperial player did not concentrate it's fire on that MC80

As someone how plays primarily Imperial, but was and still is looking into playing Rebels from time to time as well, I have to say, I agree with this ruling.  The Stories I was reading, and my own experience with the incredible tankingness of the MC80 and even a Guppy to a lesser extent was just well, powerful. 

It can't of done that on its own. It would have needed help to kill that much on its own. Or the Imperial player did not concentrate it's fire on that MC80

Agreed. That kind of devastation can't be attributed to one upgrade card ruling. One of those imp ships should have had Heavy Turbos for instance.

You IFF Guys should try to score another FFG interview and just ask them if the have evil cackling while coming up with the FAQ revisions.

Because I can really imagine that being the case.

Everything FFG has and is doing with Armada, is done with 'Intention'.  I heard that somewhere...

Cookies to the first who remembers where!!!

I have no table Wave 2 experience, but I will say that the way XI7 synergizes with intel officers and accuracies seems a WHOLE lot better than the HTT's seem to (correct me if I'm wrong?).

e.g. accuracy + xi7 with a round of 8 damage is a half dead MC80/third dead ISD.  Accuracy + HTT? One or the other is wasted.

I have no table Wave 2 experience, but I will say that the way XI7 synergizes with intel officers and accuracies seems a WHOLE lot better than the HTT's seem to (correct me if I'm wrong?).

e.g. accuracy + xi7 with a round of 8 damage is a half dead MC80/third dead ISD.  Accuracy + HTT? One or the other is wasted.

Intel Officer works with both.