Sign in to follow this  
VanorDM

Laser Line Targetlock

We use these in X-Wing a ton, but I don't seem them discussed as much here. Since not everyone here plays X-Wing they may not know about these so I thought I'd post something.

http://usshop.thearmypainter.com/products.php?ProductGroupId=5

It's a small laser pointer, but emits a line rather than a dot. That makes it very quick and easy to check arcs without trying to fit a ruler between a bunch of ships, or in Armada's case that furball of fighters.

The one I got from my LGS is great, nice and bright, and the line can reach a couple feet if I hold it up high enough. So more than enough for Armada.

Shipping is kinda spendy there, for me in the US it was $8 for a $9 item, but if you can get one at your LGS I highly recommend it.

These have the rarity of Tarot sized deck protectors and are universally out of stock world wide. My FLGS store got them in stock for a time a few weeks back and I was so shocked after having one on order from back in February that I ordered a second.

Harbor freight is good.  If you are willing to spend way more money for something that is a bit brighter and uses AA batteries, Broken Egg Games sells LOS lasers.  I picked one up at a convention and love it.  It is $25 but its much nicer and brighter than the Harbor Freight ones.

I checked my Harbor Freight and they did not have any in stock.  I bought one locally, but it's not terribly bright.  Thanks for the link.  I just ordered one.  I know they're overpriced, especially with the shipping charge, but it's nice to have a backup.

Harbor freight is good.  If you are willing to spend way more money for something that is a bit brighter and uses AA batteries, Broken Egg Games sells LOS lasers.  I picked one up at a convention and love it.  It is $25 but its much nicer and brighter than the Harbor Freight ones.

This is the one I own and it's amazing. You can paint a solid red line on a wall about 30 feet away from you. There is absolutely no doubt about where the laser is when you use it and the simple pen shape makes it very easy to use.

I love my harbor freight lazer line. it' cheap, sharp and bright.  I have found I like to leave it on the base, set it beyond the ship being targeted, then move it until it's line overlaps the arc line on the firing ship. works great.  5 bucks

This is the one I own and it's amazing. You can paint a solid red line on a wall about 30 feet away from you. There is absolutely no doubt about where the laser is when you use it and the simple pen shape makes it very easy to use.

Being AAA batteries (mistake in my original post) makes it easy to buy an 8 pack and keep it in my bag and be good for a long time.  I am a TO for Warmachine and Hordes and run events at the local and convention level.  Having something that easily fits in my pen slot of my shirt pocket really helps.  Yes it costs 5x that of the Harbor freight but the line is brighter, thinner, and it feel more durable.  I do understand if people do not want to buy a $25 LOS laser over a new ship though.  

Harbor Freight $5 saw line laser.

Best investment in this game.

This is the most asked question in my videos. Everyone wants to know where to get a laser line like mine (I am El cheapo and use the harbor freight saw laser)

This is the most asked question in my videos. Everyone wants to know where to get a laser line like mine (I am El cheapo and use the harbor freight saw laser)

I almost bought some of those but found a lot of reviews saying those things didn't always have straight lines. If it's not straight it's not worth 2 pennies

I almost bought some of those but found a lot of reviews saying those things didn't always have straight lines. If it's not straight it's not worth 2 pennies

I have 2, have seen more than 8 others and have yet to hear that. I will say that they sometimes have varying thicknesses but this is rare

I had one that I purchased for X-wing about 9 months ago.  It had the issue of the line curving.  I contacted Army Painter and they refunded the money but let me keep the laser.  He said they had a production issue and were going to have it fixed in the next stock.  This is the first time I have seen it back on their store.  Hopefully they have fixed the issue.  I purchased one already because I like it better than the harbor freight one.

The only Line laser I've found at the hardware store is a bigger, clunky thing that's designed to sit on the table and project while you draw/trace.

I'll try to grab a picture here.  The line is clear, sharp and bright, despite the fact my 2 year old grabbed it and turned it on for like, an hour, the other day...

The button on the back is 2 stage.  Gentle touch and its on for push - but a heavy push toggles it on/off.

(Hopeful picture later - won't be easy, I'm alone with a 2 year old and it involves juggling hands :D )

LaserShot.jpg

Edited by Drasnighta

Best Picture I could take at my desk.  Laser is beside the Camera (holding it in my right hand which is also hitting the button to take the shot).

I'll get more pictures of it while its in use on the Weekend...

And as I said, the battery bank is at least half dead on it already - due to the 2 year old, so it is definately brighter from here.

Regular day shooting conditions, too...  Not a darkened room.

Other selling point for me was it uses fairly long lasting L44s.  3 Required, 4 Provided.

Edited by Drasnighta

I got one of these as a Consolation Prize at the last Sullust...

I'm very, very, very happy with it.http://gamesmith.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=50

Hey, I'm very interested.

Can you drop the laser and take a picture and post it here?  How does it compare to those 4.99 ones from the hardware store?

There is a huge variance in the quality of those things. Some are fuzzy, some are dim, some just straight don't work, but some are amazing.

There are probably fifteen of them floating around my community here, as well as the odd $30 purpose-made laser. Some are almost unusable, but some are even better than the expensive one. (I got lucky, pretty sure mine is the best one here :) )