Sign in to follow this  
Crabbok

Worst ship of Wave 2

I think the MC-80 is the worst ship of Wave 2.  

Now I'm just talking about the ship itself, not the "expansion".   My reasoning is that Ackbar comes in that expansion, yet you can use him on any ship, doesn't have to be an MC-80.   I think an Assault Frigate Mk2 is a much better choice, throw enhanced armament and Gunnery Team and you have a ship that is stronger than the MC-80 and much cheaper. 

Keep in mind I'm not slamming the ship altogether, I think it is gorgeous and probably has cool combos and potential that I haven't managed to try yet, and this is more a testament of how good Wave 2 is overall, that this gorgeous thing is the worst.   What do you guys think?

Oh and I agree with what your saying, if the speed was 1 more it would have made would have crossed that threshold of bad to good. Maybe I need to play with it when it comes out but I am more excited about all of the wave 2 ships much more so.

No bad ships in wave 2 as far as I can tell.

Except the raider.

Have some evades! But no long range duce.

Oh, you're dedicated anti-ship? Well, here's some black dice. You now have the shortest anti-fighter range, and a title that says squadrons MUST attack you if you get close. Oh and two dice is enough to stop the following squadrons:

Doesn't have to be bad to be the worst.  Think of worst as "Least awesome" in this case. 

Except the raider.

Oh, you're dedicated anti-ship? Well, here's some black dice. You now have the shortest anti-fighter range, and a title that says squadrons MUST attack you if you get close. Oh and two dice is enough to stop the following squadrons:

The Raider is great IMO because of it's cost, and the fact that it's an extra activation.    Plus it can potentially attack 3 times, so that's kinda cool.   You WANT it to get in close, you put it close and your Star Destroyer in the same side arc of your enemy, so they have to chose if they want that huge attack to be against your biggest threat (the ISD) or the Raider.   If they kill the Raider, well your ISD remains untouched, so that's cool, if they attack the ISD, then you punish them with the raider at range 1. 

It isn't especially deadly against ships, but I view it more from an activation standpoint- 3 Raiders plus some heavy ships can ensure you get the option to activate last. 

Except the raider.

Funny

I am pretty sure the MC80 can take engine techs, so yeah, it is normally slow but it can boost when needed. FYI the Vic cannot take engine techs.

And don't forget the lore, these are converted luxury liners, NOT purpose built warships. Do you think a cruise liner, even with some modifications, should go as fast as even a battleship, let alone a cruiser or destroyer?

Raider for me by a wide margin. I expect disagreements :D

It primarily fills a role the Empire doesn't need filling (anti fighter), and does it less efficiently than the unit currently in the role (TIEs).

it IS more versatile than TIE fighters, and it's not truly awful at anti-ship but i can't see any time i'd take one over Gladiators, unless i needed slightly cheaper activation fodder.

I'm not saying it's a bad ship at all, just the weakest in Wave 2.

Having used the Wave 2 ships about a dozen times now, i'm astonished how many people dislike the MC80. It absolutely crushes opposition, and unlike the AF Mk2 can actually survive the brutally intense Wave 2 return fire. I've been seeing more than a few 1 turn kills on AF's since we started with our wave 2 goodies here (we had 3 Sullusts in the area,....my stores players won all of them :D).

Doesn't need a Gunnery Team, and it'd be broken beyond comprehension if it had one.

My 2p after 10 or so games using them all.

The wave 2 is pretty balance as far as I can tell. Every ship can be really good if used in the appropriate environment. The question is not which one is the worst but which one are we the least likely to use in our fleets.

I would say the MC-30. This ship is very squishy with a small range, a little bit like the GSD but without Demolisher,  it is like a suicide ship but that is still very costly. I mean only 4 HP without brace, the 2 evade token are also awkward considering that the MC-30 is supposed has a short range. I think the ship should be good with Mon Mothma and Foresight to increase its ability to survive, but overall I feel like its use is very narrow.

I feel like in general it's going to take some time before anyone can make an informed argument about the wave 2 stuff. It's okay to kind of throw ideas out there but the definitiveness in some responses seems a bit absurd to me.

I would say the MC-30. This ship is very squishy with a small range, a little bit like the GSD but without Demolisher,  it is like a suicide ship but that is still very costly. I mean only 4 HP without brace, the 2 evade token are also awkward considering that the MC-30 is supposed has a short range. I think the ship should be good with Mon Mothma and Foresight to increase its ability to survive, but overall I feel like its use is very narrow.

The way I see it is if you're not rolling Mon Mothma, you use the Evade tokens on the way in and then while you're up close you just feed them to the Turbolaser Reroute Circuits. Both a Turbolaser and Ordnance upgrade slot (and a Defensive Retrofit for the mandatory Advanced Projectors) seems potentially very strong. You just need to either overload enemy ability to meaningfully respond (with enough MC30s used at once, like Gladiator overload; or with Rieekan) or use it carefully as an ambush ship supporting the rest of the fleet. It throws out enough pain (especially with Ackbar) to have picqued my interest, at the very least.

The way I see it is if you're not rolling Mon Mothma, you use the Evade tokens on the way in and then while you're up close you just feed them to the Turbolaser Reroute Circuits. Both a Turbolaser and Ordnance upgrade slot (and a Defensive Retrofit for the mandatory Advanced Projectors) seems potentially very strong. You just need to either overload enemy ability to meaningfully respond (with enough MC30s used at once, like Gladiator overload; or with Rieekan) or use it carefully as an ambush ship supporting the rest of the fleet. It throws out enough pain (especially with Ackbar) to have picqued my interest, at the very least.

I would rather play the Torpedo Frigate since it is cheaper and the blue dice combine themselves better with the high damage black dice because it gives you more accuracy result. With Mothma evades tokens are useful is short range anyway and i have no red dice, i will just remove the Turbolaser reroute circuit for ordnance expert and Assault Proton Torpedo, with foresight the ship will be resilient enough I hope.

I think the mc-80 is great. I'll be happy to run them down with my speed 3 ISD front arcs.

My MC80 with 1 AF2 support kills ISDs in 2 turns when they "run at me with their front arc". Might want to be a little more tactical than that!

As someone who exclusively plays Imperial, I love all this MC80 hate.

Don't give in to these "know-it-alls" who think they understand its value just because they've played with it. Use the Force, trust your instincts, and never use one.

Sincerely, all Imperial players.

;)

Edited by DerErlkoenig

The ships are all good to great, but that Lando Upgrade ....

What am I missing?

I view Lando as a way to recycle a Brace token once you get into desperate straits. Definitely better with the right defensive retrofits (like for example the Electronic Countermeasures to make sure you can keep using a token) and for when you've got 4 points and no specific officer the ship wants (Raymus was busy elsewhere).

The new expansions are all fantastic.

There is not a single card or ship or squadron that I cannot find an immediate use for - with the exception of IG-88/aggressor which for the life of me I cannot find a single reason to field.