Sign in to follow this  
CheapCreep

Blue Ace + R7 - T1 + EI!

I created a list the other day to make use of R7-T1 and Blue ace. The idea of these two together is that you can take a Target Lock then boost an amazingly hard 1! This allows you to start enemies trying to get you from the side in the face with impunity, and allowing you to come into engagements in interesting ways, it's especially effective if you're on the edge of an enemy's firing arc, and want to get out by possibly still get a shot yourself. 

I was enjoying this build for the fun of it, when I thought, "But what if"

tumblr_nw9hl34zqb1r12qrqo1_400.png

Say a defender, PS 1, K-turns behind you and you decided to do a 1 forward. Looking bad, isn't it?

tumblr_nw9hl34zqb1r12qrqo2_500.png

No it's not! Because with R7-T1 and Experimental interface, you now just K-turned yourself into a nice Range 2 with a Target lock!
This trick would work as well if you are jousting and you expect a higher PS target to K-turn, because if you're in their arc before they K-turn you can do the exact manoeuvre and watch them stumble into your new arc! This trick on higher Pilot skills takes a lot of calculated guessing, but I think it's a pretty effective trick from a PS 5 pilot you might otherwise overlook.

Would you use this combo in a list?

R7-T1 is pretty good, if expensive. The only problem is that it only works when the enemy is in a position to shoot at you. That said, with a 1-turn boost, it could mean getting out of arc.

to be fair with a T70 all you have to do is Talon roll also i dont like how his ability is a strictly better version of Lorir's based soley on not getting a stress to use the non standard template.

You can't hate on Blue Ace because FFG learned their lesson with Lorrir and didn't make all the same mistakes with him. He still got screwed out of an EPT which I think will keep him from being a good pilot that sees much use.

While the hard turn when boosting is cool, Lorrir's ability does seem like it has more potential.

to be fair with a T70 all you have to do is Talon roll also i dont like how his ability is a strictly better version of Lorir's based soley on not getting a stress to use the non standard template.

You can't hate on Blue Ace because FFG learned their lesson with Lorrir and didn't make all the same mistakes with him. He still got screwed out of an EPT which I think will keep him from being a good pilot that sees much use.

While the hard turn when boosting is cool, Lorrir's ability does seem like it has more potential.

then Fix Lorir, give him EPT, or make it not stress... make him not be worse than generics

then Fix Lorir, give him EPT, or make it not stress... make him not be worse than generics

"Blue Ace" is technically not generic.  But that just points out the idiocy and annoyance of unique generics or generic uniques that we are getting with tFA stuff.

... Fix Lorir, give him EPT, or make it not stress... make him not be worse than generics

"Blue Ace" is technically not generic.

I'm guessing that Panic was referring to the Royal Guard Interceptor pilots that were released in the same expansion as Lt. Lorrir. They are a point less, get an EPT slot, and have an additional point of pilot skill.

Blue Ace is actually in a similar situation to Lorrir because of the Red Vet T-70 generics. At least those guys don't beat him on PS so he might get some time on the table.

Herm, I've given Blue Ace a go (w/ BB8) before.  Seeing as I love Psycho Tycho I thought it would be a good way to get a similar effect but on a 3 attack ship.  But I was super wrong.  Even ignoring the PS5 aspect, the lack of an EPT made it super weak.  If he could take an EPT, then it would be like a mini Phantom.  BB8 to barrel roll, PTL to turn, green to clear stress and get another action.  Freakin' awesome.

Sadly, there's no way to make that work.  Without the EPT for push, the only other way to get an additional action is via EI.  But that doesn't work since boost is on his bar.  Which means you need to add R7-T1 to take it off of his bar, but that means no BB8 barrel roll.  Sad face.

TL:DR - the lack of an EPT prevents Blue Ace from being competitive, but the inclusion of an EPT probably makes him too competitive (though the PS5 could prevent that from happening).

TL:DR - the lack of an EPT prevents Blue Ace from being competitive, but the inclusion of an EPT probably makes him too competitive (though the PS5 could prevent that from happening).

The PS 5 and his price are enough of a control against being too good. With PTL+BB-8+Autothrusters you come out to 34 points. That's getting up into the Soontir Fel and Vader price range. If you adjusted that price up to what it would be at PS9 he'd be probably be 39 points so you should expect him to be able pull his weight as an Ace.

The PS 5 and his price are enough of a control against being too good. With PTL+BB-8+Autothrusters you come out to 34 points. That's getting up into the Soontir Fel and Vader price range. If you adjusted that price up to what it would be at PS9 he'd be probably be 39 points so you should expect him to be able pull his weight as an Ace.

I would GLADLY take that for 39 points at PS9.  Talk about evasive ship.  He can BR either way (or not BR), then he has the option of boosting one of 5 ways, he is stuck with a simplistic dial, but if he didn't boost prior to the dial, he could then boost 5 ways after the maneuver as well.  All of this coupled with a focus (or TL if you prefer), and AT to protect against turrets, or to help out the defense since he should be good at maintaining R3.  

I paid 38 points for Psycho Tycho, 39 at PS9 (which is a point well spent - if only you could do that!).  Tycho still has more maneuvers, and the 2 extra health is a decent offset for the 3rd agility, but the 3 attack power is a huge difference between the two, and AT is always nice too!

I would GLADLY take that for 39 points at PS9.  Talk about evasive ship.  He can BR either way (or not BR), then he has the option of boosting one of 5 ways, he is stuck with a simplistic dial, but if he didn't boost prior to the dial, he could then boost 5 ways after the maneuver as well.  All of this coupled with a focus (or TL if you prefer), and AT to protect against turrets, or to help out the defense since he should be good at maintaining R3.  

I paid 38 points for Psycho Tycho, 39 at PS9 (which is a point well spent - if only you could do that!).  Tycho still has more maneuvers, and the 2 extra health is a decent offset for the 3rd agility, but the 3 attack power is a huge difference between the two, and AT is always nice too!

He'd be a good ship that would play at Vader, Soontir, or Corran Horn levels but he wouldn't be broken good. He'd be good enough to be an alternative to Poe if you were looking to put a single T-70 Ace in your list. Drop him back down to his actual PS5 and 34 point cost and he'd still be a solid choice in a squad. 

I got excited that you were talking about the generic R7. I was puzzled at what the T1 upgrade was, then I entered the thread and got very disappointed.

Shame. R7 is so underrated on non-Tarn ships.

I could see it being used on FCS E-wings if you needed a theme list or for Epic Play (and/or need R2D2 elsewhere) but even that is kind of iffy