Sign in to follow this  
Hobojebus

Let's talk about the G-1a

Not sure it will end up being worth it, but Sensor Jammer + Juke + Palob (cloaked!) as a wingman to strip focus makes for a nasty combo.  You can easily fit two Mist Hunters + Palob + upgrades in a list and they're all very tough targets (Palob can also take Stygium), but I'm not sure there's enough firepower there.

Again, it comes down to the dial.  If they have a K or S they should be okay, but if it's a HWK dial (even with white hard 1) I don't think they could brawl effectively.

A unique small-ship-only cloak illicit without the RNG bull would have been balanced at 2 points

Reason being: no ACD

Having the built in bull only serves to make it a frustrating upgrade to try and incorporate. As is, I don't see it finding purchase anywhere outside of hwks; who REALLY like any boost in maneuverability at affordable costs

If ffg had done the right thing and left unnecessary RNG off the card, we'd soon be having a lot of fun with Stygium Cobra

As is, 2 points for a potentially one shot 2-roll/straight is going to be difficult to justify over just leaving the slot naked and taking something more reliable (such as FCS)

The g-1a aces might have wanted it due to lack of reposition tech, but lo FFG gave us Misthunter

Edited by ficklegreendice

Fun Zuckus build:

Zuckuss 28
Expose 4
K4 Security Droid 3
Advanced Sensors 3
Experimental Interface 3
Ship Total: 41

Advanced Sensor Focus

Experimental Interface Expose > Gain stress

Reveal Green Maneuver > Clear Stress > Gain Target Lock with K4

Use Zuckus ability to have a 5 dice or 6 dice (Range 1) TL + Focus attack every round...

Edited by bmf

Fun Zuckus build:

Zuckuss 28

Expose 4

K4 Security Droid 3

Advanced Sensors 3

Experimental Interface 3

Advanced Sensor Focus

Use Zuckus ability to have a 5 dice or 6 dice (Range 1) TL + Focus attack every round...

I... assume that's in the name of hitting Phantom firepower out of sheer principle?

It's cute, but with AGI 0 it's literally 8 hits from exploding. At Corran prices.

Fun Zuckus build:

Zuckuss 28

Expose 4

K4 Security Droid 3

Advanced Sensors 3

Experimental Interface 3

Advanced Sensor Focus

I... assume that's in the name of hitting Phantom firepower out of sheer principle?

It's cute, but with AGI 0 it's literally 8 hits from exploding. At Corran prices.

Like I said, it's a fun build.  It's actually higher firepower then a phantom.  Not much of a difference between AGI 1 and 0, maybe 1 extra effective hp, possibly survives for an extra attack.  8hp is 8hp.  Corran is not part of Scum so not sure why the comparison...almost any ships seems overcosted when compared to Soontir.  This Zuckus build can one shot Corran, Soontir, etc...

I kinda reminds me of the Keyan + HLC + Opportunist build but without the need for Wes and Jan support, and an extra red at range 1.

Edited by bmf

But in this case the random factor is there to balance out the power and low cost, it's a powerful reward with a significant risk so it's fine.

Given that it's a Unique card anyway, I'm curious if people think it would be better to have not had the failure rate, but then have it cost more.

Alternatively, have the card not fail randomly, but once you decloak, you can't use it again.

But in this case the random factor is there to balance out the power and low cost, it's a powerful reward with a significant risk so it's fine.

Given that it's a Unique card anyway, I'm curious if people think it would be better to have not had the failure rate, but then have it cost more.

Alternatively, have the card not fail randomly, but once you decloak, you can't use it again.

I think that without the availability of ACD there wouldn't have been an issue with doing away with the chance for failure. The cloak action by itself isn't worth that much if you look at the price of the Phantom and the X-Wing. The Sigma is only two points more than a Red Squad.

Scum hwks running moldy crow, blaster turret, and recon spec love the cloaking device. You will have a bank of focus tokens(even if its only 2) to  spend on those cloaked green dice. Palob is always the first target and at range 3 he wont get a shot anyways. The next turn you decloak and maneuver to where not everyone can shoot you unless they want to be out of position to take on whatever else you have. At that point its paid its 2 points if you get another use out of it great if not who cares. 

Scum hwks running moldy crow, blaster turret, and recon spec love the cloaking device. You will have a bank of focus tokens(even if its only 2) to  spend on those cloaked green dice. Palob is always the first target and at range 3 he wont get a shot anyways. The next turn you decloak and maneuver to where not everyone can shoot you unless they want to be out of position to take on whatever else you have. At that point its paid its 2 points if you get another use out of it great if not who cares. 

HWKs need the mobility boost.

The HWKs are picked not for their offense, but their abilities which will still go off while cloaked.

HWKs need the defensive boost.

Yeah, it's great for 'em.

Took 5 minutes and read about typefaces just to toss a jab at a Hipster-post.

Didn't expect to realise afterwards that the forum font bar doesn't have Helvetica, and understand why that is.

I need to go watch the Helvetica movie now so that I can understand the rift between modernism and post-modernism.

Friggin' Hipsters, making me ralise that people poured their souls into these friggin' typefaces

Had a gif here. But it took me 12 minutes to reply, which under the posting-duel regulations constitutes a loss.

The successive cat-cartoons, and that jab about image resolution.

Well played Tipperary. Well played.  ^_^

Edited by OneKelvin

People in this game have a great, great fear of any upgrade that's based on a dice roll, even though a huge chunk of this game comes down to dice rolls. I guess reliability makes people feel safe, that's why TLT is a favourite blanky of the meta right now.

Exactly right. I understand the desire to guarantee certain results but this is a game that is half skill, half dice. Personally I'll be taking the Cloak frequently. It's ONLY 2 points and the potential rewards far outway the slim chance of failure.

Just my 2 pence

I'm firmly in the camp that approves of the cloaking device. Could it have been better without breaking the game - yes. Will skilled players exploit it competitively - seems likely. Is it a wonderfully thematic and innovative addition to the game - definitely.

With this as a precedent, could we see a one use SLAM - I hope so...

I think that without the availability of ACD there wouldn't have been an issue with doing away with the chance for failure. The cloak action by itself isn't worth that much if you look at the price of the Phantom and the X-Wing. The Sigma is only two points more than a Red Squad.

The ability to add 2 dice and really strong repositioning to a lot of different Scum ships is really powerful, even without ACD. The most useful thing Cloaking Device does is allow you to close distance (as you do in the very early game) with a lot less risk than most ships have.

But it can also be used to turtle more-or-less indefinitely, which is a major balance problem. A Starviper with a Cloaking Device that can't fail is an excellent points fortress.